Thread: airline travel and layovers

airline travel and layovers

I have a question about flying. Last few flights I have been on with Southwest this year were all direct flights. The plane would land, but my flight went through to the final destination on the same plane, meaning I didn't need to worry about deboarding. I just always use the airport bathroom to take care of those needs right before getting on the plane.

On a flight next month, one of my flights will be having a long layover and I will need to board a different plane. Will they bring my chair up to the taxiway for the layover?

PS - the "hannibal lectur" chair I've been reading in other threads.. yeah, that good ole aisle chair - great description and exactly my thoughts when I'm in it

Request that yout wheelhair be brought up from the hull or have them stow it in the airplane closet. When I had connecting flights I used to try to have a 90-120 min. layover [first one on = last one off].

Tucson, AZ USA / San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico
    Have them bring your chair, which should have been "gate-checked", up into the jetway and get in it. Don't use one of the airport-provided chairs. Use only yours. That way you ensure that it makes it on to the connecting flight. I once had the misfortune of flying to Minneapolis while my chair went to Hong Kong. Wasn't fun.

Read my article on this subject at www.goesanywhere.com/articles.htm.

rick
    Rick Goldstein
    GO! Mobility Solutions
    facebook.com/goes.anywhere

Thanks for the replies! I was not wanting to use an airport chair by any means. My chair fits me perfectly, and I'd hate to do a 4 hour layover at an airport without it. Didn't realize there was an on board closet of sorts so the baggage guys below aren't busy trying to break it.

Quote Originally Posted by pitterpaws View Post
    Didn't realize there was an on board closet of sorts so the baggage guys below aren't busy trying to break it.
    From my experiences when I have flown they could only put my chair in a closet if it could be folded up. I've always had to put mine under the plane, but they bring it to me at transfers.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Are you flying SW on this trip too? They are my choice as I have never h ad to use the aisle chair with them. Just got that 1st seat inside door and transfered from my chair. You will probably not be able to store your chair inside, but they will get it to you. Hope your layover is in an exciting airport. Some can be quite entertainig. I loved Denver. Unfortunatey found that the Las Vegas one, the slots all had permanantly attached chairs so could not get close enough to lose my money. Good luck. Let us know how it goes.

I am flying SW - thing about the very first seat is not being able to keep anything in the seat in front of me. I like keeping a backpack that contains my meds, supplies, reading materials, etc., all right there next to me. rebajen, interesting you should mention Vegas, since that's exactly where I'll be on my lay over at. Haven't been there for many years and didn't have time to play the ole penny slots last time I was there (pre-accident)

I have nothing but positive things to say about flying SW. TSA, well, yeah, a bit annoying having every last part of me patted down, but such is life traveling by air, and they have at least been helpful in carrying my tray and bags to the privatized area after those go through the scanner.

I am flying SW - thing about the very first seat is not being able to keep anything in the seat in front of me. I like keeping a backpack that contains my meds, supplies, reading materials, etc., all right there next to me. rebajen, interesting you should mention Vegas, since that's exactly where I'll be on my lay over at. Haven't been there for many years and didn't have time to play the ole penny slots last time I was there (pre-accident)

I have nothing but positive things to say about flying SW. TSA, well, yeah, a bit annoying having every last part of me patted down, but such is life traveling by air, and they have at least been helpful in carrying my tray and bags to the privatized area after those go through the scanner.
    swa is my preference. have friend who is pilot there, and my experience w/them as an aero engineer and passenger has always been positive. make sure you have your chair during layover. once i didn't (not sw) and i literally was "parked" in airport chair in unmarked room. it was hell. and illegal.

I am flying SW - thing about the very first seat is not being able to keep anything in the seat in front of me. I like keeping a backpack that contains my meds, supplies, reading materials, etc., all right there next to me. .
    When I fle Jet Blue last spring, I had to put my bag in the overhead for take off and landing, but the flight attendant got it down for me as soon as we were in the air.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005