Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accessible RV rentals?

Accessible RV rentals?

My wife and I would like to do some traveling without having to stay in a hotel every night. Has anyone come across recreational vehicle rentals that are wheelchair accessible? My wife would do the driving, I would just need some kind of system for locking my power chair in place. I tried searching the web, with no luck. Probably a far-fetched idea, but it can't hurt to ask.

There are rental RV's out there that are accessible. I checked into it two years ago. It was EXTREMELY expensive. If I can find the information I had I will post it.
    L1 Complete - Injury 3/12/06 - Grateful to be alive!!!!

I also have been searching for the same thing. I would love to know if such a thing exists, been looking for a while. If anyone knows of a place, I would love to know also! Thanks!

I found this info a while back

http://emerginghorizons.com/expert/index.php?id=61
    Ask The Expert!

by Candy Harrington, editor of Emerging Horizons
    Accessible RV Rentals

My husband has ALS and uses a power wheelchair. We enjoy the outdoors and I’d like to try Rving. I’m not sure if this will work out for us, so I’d like to rent an accessible RV a few times before I make the decision to buy one. I’ve called a number of dealers but I can’t seem to find anyone who rents accessible RVs. Do you have any suggestions? I live in Minnesota.

Unfortunately I don't know of any US outlets that rent accessible RVs. There used to be a few, but the managers decided it wasn’t cost-effective to keep accessible RVs in their rental fleets because they didn't get that many requests for them. Additionally, able-bodied travelers did not want to rent the accessible units, so they just sat on the lots a good deal of the time. In the end, the few dealers who had accessible units replaced them with standard units. That’s the bad news.
    The good news? If you want to venture up into British Columbia, Ambassador Motorhomes in Delta (604-946-3696) and Travel Home RV in Langley (604-533-1566) both have accessible RVs for rent. These Class A vehicles have lift access, wide doorways and good pathway access throughout the units, including wheelchair-access to the washrooms.
    Alternatively you might want to contact the Handicapped Travel Club (www.handicappedtravelclub.com), a club that focuses on accessible RV travel. Sometimes their members have accessible rigs for rent, so check and see if there are any private rentals in your area. The club also has an excellent guide to accessible campgrounds on their website. Check it out before you hit the road.
    — September 7, 2006
    www.disabledexplorers.org
    Backcountry recreation for the disabled in the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions

Now if I could ask a question of the group for the sake of anyone in the RV industry that might ever come here and look around..

What would you require in a RV? Lift, porta-potty, kitchen?
    What would be a reasonable daily/weekly rate for a wheelchair accessible RV?
    Would a Sprinter size be enough? Or is there only interest in the big mama class A's?
    www.disabledexplorers.org
    Backcountry recreation for the disabled in the Wheelchair Accessible Van for Expeditions

kgerring

I have experience in the RV industry and have questions for you regarding availibilty of an accessible RV to travel with.
    Please contact me when you are able. my email is kimgerring@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by DisabledExploreres View Post
    Now if I could ask a question of the group for the sake of anyone in the RV industry that might ever come here and look around..

What would you require in a RV? Lift, porta-potty, kitchen?
    What would be a reasonable daily/weekly rate for a wheelchair accessible RV?
    Would a Sprinter size be enough? Or is there only interest in the big mama class A's?

Re: Accessible RV rentals?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    My wife and I would like to do some traveling without having to stay in a hotel every night. Has anyone come across recreational vehicle rentals that are wheelchair accessible? My wife would do the driving, I would just need some kind of system for locking my power chair in place. I tried searching the web, with no luck. Probably a far-fetched idea, but it can't hurt to ask.
    Where would you travel? I think I can refer you to my father who is creating an RV in his shop. He's main job is welding. He can modify a car to become accessible.

Quote Originally Posted by kgerring View Post
    I have experience in the RV industry and have questions for you regarding availibilty of an accessible rv rentals arizona to travel with.
    Please contact me when you are able. my email is kimgerring@gmail.com
    PM sent when you get a chance

did you find an RV

Quote Originally Posted by Brian S View Post
    My wife has MS and we are looking for an accessible RV to rent also, have you found one. I found a site with a somewhat accessible RVs but would like to find something better.
    - http://www.mydriveholiday.com/usa-rv-motorhomes/
    The Fun Mover (4 people)

The Fun Mover is a 28-31 Feet motorhome. A versatile vehicle with a garage at the back to haul sport toys and equipment, and more. The living quarters contain standard self contained motorhome amenities so you don’t have to worry about comfort, plus this vehicle is wheelchair accessible with an entry via a rear power lift gate and assist handles installed in the bathroom

Saw this older RV for sale with lift..

"The trick is in what one emphasizes. We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves happy. The amount of work is the same.” ~Carlos Castaneda