Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anybody else a fan of Bartok's 6 string quartets?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    My boyfriend in college was a piano major - senior year it was all Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, all the time...

I hear ya, Sister.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Tam - hard to go wrong with Chopin. I think the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra is doing Beethoven's 9th this spring. Come on out and we can go listen to it! CG (classical guitar) happens to be my instrument so I agree with you on that. Never saw Segovia .
    Wow that sounds awsome! You never know...

I tried to learn classical guitar once - it is so beautiful. A friend who had played for about 10-15 years tried to teach me. I struggled and struggled with my first piece. I finally figured out why - when I went to see Segovia and that was the piece he played as an encore! When I asked my friend why on earth he picked that for my first piece - he said it was what he was currently working on with his teacher, so knew how to teach it. lol, no wonder I wasn't doing so well...

My favorite Segovia was a tape of an old record album called "My Favorite Spanish Encores". That reminds me - I think I did finally purchse that album, and now have one of those record players to copy records to CD - I should look into it. I think there's no one like Segovia.

Quote Originally Posted by Andes View Post
    If you two like Chopin, come to this house. Mark is a Chopin fiend, and he listens to it every day. For hours . And hours, Did I say hours?

I am really grateful that we have several recordings of him playing mostly recital pieces. He listens to his CDs but winces when he hears errors I can never hear. I get sad when I think about the talent that he and Mike were blessed with, and it is all gone now.
    I would be honored if I ever had the chance to visit your family - and not just for the Chopin.

lol I bet you have every note memorized by now. That's terrific that Mark has some recordings - I've not played piano really in years, I wish I had made some when I could play. Just for the memories.

I think their talent is still there - sadly, it cannot be expressed. I'm glad there is some record of it though.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    Tam - hard to go wrong with Chopin. I think the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra is doing Beethoven's 9th this spring. Come on out and we can go listen to it! CG (classical guitar) happens to be my instrument so I agree with you on that. Never saw Segovia .
    I saw the Romeros in Ft Collins last year - talk about making something so hard look (sound) so easy! Incredible. CG is so liquid...

I've seen the romero brothers. Very nice duo. Angel Romero has come to our philharmonic orchestra and conducted I think a granados piece. Another great duo to see is the Assad brothers play CG.

Yes - I've got a couple of their CDs.