Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anybody else a fan of Bartok's 6 string quartets?

Anybody else a fan of Bartok's 6 string quartets?

Just wondering. Other than Beethoven's cycle of 16 quartets, I think Bartok's 6 string quartets are completely amazing. I have the Emerson Quartet's recording.

Have you heard the Takacs recordings of the Beethoven quartets? Amazing.

Hi Katja, I am glad you answered. Not many people are classical music fans. I have heard Takacs and have their recordings of the first 6 (The Early) quartets. Then I have Emerson String Quartet doing the middle and late. I knew you went to the Met Opera showing so it is good to know that you listen to these amazing pieces of music. What recordings do you have of the Beethoven SQs?

We have all the Takacs recordings (they are our hometown SQ and we are lucky enough to have season tickets), and I'm pretty sure my husband has at something by the Emerson quartet.

My husband (violinist) is the real string aficionado in our household. I'm a singer, and tend to be more interested in listening to classical vocal music, which is in shorter supply than orchestral music.

Katja - what vocal music stuff do you like? Here is what I have: Lieder of Mahler, Schumann and a lot of Schubert. I really really like Barbara Bonney's voice - so I got a bunch of her CD's. I have Janet Baker's Schubert songs.
    I am new to listening to voice so I am not knowledgeable about it.
    What else does your husband like to listen to in the string world?

I actually love classical music, but haven't listened to it much lately. String quartets are lovely, but I confess to ignorance of any in particular. I played piano, so I knew more about Chopin, or Beethoven concertos, etc (not that I could manage the concertos, but love to listen). Even as a child, Beethoven's Emperer Concerto was my favorite.

I also really love classical guitar - I saw Segovia on his "80th birthday party" - it was absolutely amazing how one guitar could fill orchestra hall. I'll never forget that day.

What I've never heard live, and hope to one day, is Beethovens 9th - Ode to Joy.

Operas - you knew that.

Choral works:
    Bach St Matthew & St John Passions
    Bach chorales and cantatas
    Just about anything by Mozart; I particularly like the Waisenhaus Messe K.139.
    Mozart's Requiem
    Faure's Requiem
    Brahms' German Requiem
    Charpentier's Messe de Minuit
    Carmina Burana (for something completely different)

Wow, it's hard to come up with some sort of general list. Just flipping through some CDs here...

Anonymous 4 - 11,000 Virgins: Chants for the Feast of St Ursula
    A bunch of CDs by Chanticleer
    A bunch of CDs by the Tallis Scholars
    Thomas Tallis O Magnum Mysterium
    Great Choral Classics from King's Choir of King's College Cambridge

More later - have to go make dinner now...

Tam - hard to go wrong with Chopin. I think the Reno Philharmonic Orchestra is doing Beethoven's 9th this spring. Come on out and we can go listen to it! CG (classical guitar) happens to be my instrument so I agree with you on that. Never saw Segovia .

Katja - I like Bach's Mass in B minor and St. Matthews Passion. Have not heard St. John's Passion. I have Bach's Coffee Cantata which is good and a friend just gave me a giant box of a gazillion CDs which supposedly represents everything that is recorded of Bach. I have been too afraid to dive into it. Probably need to if I am going to listen to all of it before I die.
    Love Brahm's German Requeiem, Carmina Burana of Orff is fun.Need to listen to Faure's Requiem and I do like his chamber music.
    I have a cd of Barbara Bonney doing Mozart lieder and I will check out if she does the one you like K.139.

Banned
    Tam - hard to go wrong with Chopin.
    If you two like Chopin, come to this house. Mark is a Chopin fiend, and he listens to it every day. For hours . And hours, Did I say hours?

I am really grateful that we have several recordings of him playing mostly recital pieces. He listens to his CDs but winces when he hears errors I can never hear. I get sad when I think about the talent that he and Mike were blessed with, and it is all gone now.

Quote Originally Posted by Andes View Post
    If you two like Chopin, come to this house. Mark is a Chopin fiend, and he listens to it every day. For hours . And hours, Did I say hours?

I am really grateful that we have several recordings of him playing mostly recital pieces. He listens to his CDs but winces when he hears errors I can never hear. I get sad when I think about the talent that he and Mike were blessed with, and it is all gone now.
    My boyfriend in college was a piano major - senior year it was all Chopin's Revolutionary Etude, all the time...