Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sam Sullivan: Life in a Wheel

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    Van you must know Dennis Cherencko up there. He was a counsellor with BCPA for a longtime and then worked for BC Gov't. Do you have any idea on how he is doing? I heard he was not too good right now.
    hey Patrick! No, I'm afraid I don't know Dennis. BCPA went through what I call 'the lost years' when nobody heard much from the organization. But I'll ask a couple of friends how he is doing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff B View Post
    I have read that one of the main problems in Vancouver (and this is probably similar elsewhere) is that even if you get these people into rehab and cleaned up there is nowhere else they can afford to live but their old neighborhood. So even if someone is trying to stay clean they end up having to walk past 5 or 6 of their old dealers every day and eventually they wear them down until they start using again.

Sad, but shows that just forcing them into jail or rehab alone does not help.
    You're right. The cheap hotels down there rent for the welfare shelter rate and it's often the only place they can live. But some move back to their home towns or cities when they get cleaned up. We can only guess that they make it long-term.

I met some remarkable people that day who had kicked heroin and were now helping others get off the streets and/or drugs. Interestingly enough, they were amazed at us, the wheelers in attendance, who are living rich and fulfilling lives despite our disabilities.