Thread: Small voluntary movements only able to do shortly after spasm

Small voluntary movements only able to do shortly after spasm

I am six months post, c4 asia b. On the 22nd of december I started to be able to lift my left index finger after stretching my shoulder girdle and shortly after that . Likewise I'm now able to do the same thing on the right arm with my bicep shortly after a spasm, or I can do either of them at the beginning of my cycling on the FES bike while my tone is being broken up. Today while my sister stretched my left arm while she supinates my wrist it creates enough initial tone for me to move my thumb out for a short period of time. Does anyone have any insight, similar experiences? It's weird because movement is definitely voluntary and not part of the spasm. My best guess was some sort of neuromuscular facilitation

Cool

Just keep trying and don't try and solve this on your own. I have found this site excellent and also looking at other paraolympic atheletes to see what thye were able to do. I know that is all you can think about becuase it is your life. From what I have found even though it might hurt like hell it is better to move as much as you can. No two injuries and recoveries seem to be the same. I have full function and can walk but have to watch my body temperature and how much I do. Riding in a car is just brutal. I felt my injury get worse until I had surgery and now I have to go through the same thing everyday but you get used to it after a while. Try and stay positive and keep trying.

Do you have a good OT you can work with to try to isolate and strengthen these muscles? Spasticity can indeed mask weak voluntary movement. If the muscles can be isolated, FES may be useful in getting them strong enough to start doing resistive exercises.

(KLD)

I have had similar experiences like this too. If I stimulate the tops of my quads I can voluntary move my whole leg while sitting in the chair. Also when I have my leg across the other I can move my foot up and down. So weird to be able to voluntary do this. I have been like that since 3 months put of my injury. No one has an answer to why it is possible, but I hope to think that in time it could lead to more. I try everyday

Keith

We see those types of movements on a regular basis at Project Walk. We refer to them as "positional movements" and in our opinion they are the first steps to recovering function in those muscles.

Keep doing as many repetitions as possible, as that is the key to retraining the nervous system.

Good luck!

Eric Harness, CSCS
    Founder/President
    Neuro Ex, Inc
    Adaptive Performance and Neuro Recovery

Thanks all for the replies, snowman it's great to hear that there could possibly be functional movement down the road. SCI nurse I do use FES on my biceps and shoulders with a small portable unit on days that I am not on the FES bike. I have not seen an increase in the positional movement ( thanks for putting a name to it snowman) in the right bicep so far.until I regain more I'll just work with what I have and just try to keep up the repetitions.
    Last edited by keithgurgui; 02-23-2010 at 11:56 PM. Reason: typo

Keep at it bud! My motor return has been slow, but its more than 'they' said I would have! In my mind, any movement below your injury level is a good thing! Even spasms!!

I watched a movie by Christopher Reeve called Hope in Motion. He had significant return 5 yrs post!! FES was a huge part of his recovery.

Kennedy Krieger in Baltimore is running a study on FES arm cycling. Might be worth checking out since you have the leg FES bike already. And who can resist free therapy??
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime

Thanks Big Tuna, recovery so late on is always nice to hear! my FES bike ( RT300 arm & leg system) has both leg and arm capabilities and does an amazing job at preventing muscle atrophy giving me a cardiovascular workout.
    Last edited by keithgurgui; 02-25-2010 at 12:09 AM.

Its awesome that you got leg & arms! Do you do legs one day and arms next?
    Inc C4 since Oct 07

"Fate rarely calls upon us at a moment of our choosing" - Optimus Prime