Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do you think freezer is dead?

@#$*(* yep it's dead.

Had a brief moment of hope when there was a burned up minor part. But it burned up because the compressor failed. Grr.

Actually, the local place only cost a bit more than Sears, for a better looking one. And when you figure in the free delivery, vs. $75 from Sears, the cost wasn't that much different. Plus, the only good side to this, they are delivering it shortly.

Guess that's one way to clean out the freezer, and inventory it. Grr.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post

Hmmm... I am not having a good appliance year actually.
    When there are continuos electrical problems/failures, there is either dirty power involved( freq variances, voltage variances, etc.) breaker box wiring problems, grounding issues outside, or something along these lines. A SCREWDRIVER in hand judiciously/correctly going through breaker boxes ensuring good contact and tight connections, same at ground outside and if nothing found, I'll call the power company and ask for them to measure the quality of power over a week or so period of time. They will install a device and then you will know, IF they tell you. lol
    But, Id do the above anyway.

Wound up replacing a faulty transformer outside when I called them on my bil's dental office years ago.

hopefully you can get the rebate that is being offered...the one for appliances, much like cash for clunkers...

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    When there are continuos electrical problems/failures, there is either dirty power involved( freq variances, voltage variances, etc.) breaker box wiring problems, grounding issues outside, or something along these lines. A SCREWDRIVER in hand judiciously/correctly going through breaker boxes ensuring good contact and tight connections, same at ground outside and if nothing found, I'll call the power company and ask for them to measure the quality of power over a week or so period of time. They will install a device and then you will know, IF they tell you. lol
    But, Id do the above anyway.

Wound up replacing a faulty transformer outside when I called them on my bil's dental office years ago.
    Thanks - that'll be worth checking. Some things died for reasons other than electrical (like the dishwasher and the furance grrr). They're just dying too close together to suit me.

One thing I wondered though - the freezer is plugged in with an extension cord. It is an extension cord designed for appliances - does that make any difference? Someone just told me it did...

Quote Originally Posted by madmaddmother View Post
    hopefully you can get the rebate that is being offered...the one for appliances, much like cash for clunkers...
    I'll have to see if I can figure out how that works - would be nice.

The store said the freezer I had really shouldn't have died at 8 or so years old. Hope the new one is newer enough to get a rebate.

Banned
    I would sell it on craiglist. There are plenty of electricians that pick these things up and fix them because of electrical problems. I have a buddy that does this.

you can pick up new ones for about as much as it costs to fix the darn things lol

Blog Entries
    A cord designed for high current capacity could be used. It will be much 'thicker' than a normal ext cord. Most are made with either 14 or 12 gauge wire. NOT suitable for your use. Also, get the shortest possible length.

Current is carried on the outer surface, hence braided wire=higher capacity
    than single strand(thing surface area)
    Resistance is cumulative, the longer a wire, the more resistance.
    The larger diameter, the less resistance
    So ya want the shortest, smallest Gauge extension cord, to an extent.
    You will be looking for a 10 or 8 gauge cord. I would never use ext cords unless absolutely necessary with an appliance or high current drain item unless absolutely necessary.

You can get heavy duty ext cords at boating shops, but generally they are LONG for dockside power. You should just get a circuit ran to the freezer so you don't need an extension cord

Thanks. Mine is designed for appliances, and is heavier than a normal cord.

However, I'm going to have the electrician rewire something so it isn't sharing the kitchen circuit (still can't believe that one). So while he's at it, hopefully he can just put a box near the freezer, so I don't have to use an extension cord at all long-term.

Interesting - I would not have thought of that as a problem. Learn things every day I guess.

Re. Craigslist - I hadn't thought of that. I just let the appliance guys haul it away. The compressor is shot however - so not sure it was worth much anyway.

Dear TAM63 I used to be a electrician with my Dad and sometimes Sadly Compressors will poop out
    When this happened I noticed the customers Breaker would trip off

Too bad I didnt live closer I still have my electricians tools and possibly could have helped you out .
    Last year something tripped my other freezer outside in another building and sadly I lost 2 deer because of that

I found out it was the stupid compressor and had one of my AC friends charge the freezer up because it was a older one but IO keep my processed Deer and wild game food suplies in that freezer

Wish I could have helped you out because money is hard to come by these day's

Anyway I just wanted to let you know I care
    Sincerely ;
    Gypsylady

Thank you so much Gypsylady. Wow, you are a woman of many talents!

A new compressor is $100 or so - but the labor to install it over $400.

So far this year I have replaced the furnace, microwave, dishwasher and now freezer (well last 6 months, not 2010 thank goodness). Ah well, I'll live.