Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: penis shrinks

Shoot we arent the only ones!!LOL

http://www.livescience.com/28015-pen...nics-koro.html
    Article:
    Penis-Snatching Panics Resurface in Africa

In a recent issue of "Pacific Standard" magazine, Louisa Lombard, an anthropologist at the University of California at Berkeley, described visiting a small town in the Central African Republic where she encountered two men who claimed that their penises had been stolen.
    It seems that the day before, a traveler visiting the town had shaken hands with a tea vendor who immediately claimed he felt a shock and sensed that his penis had shrunk. He cried out in alarm, gathering a crowd, and a second man then said it also happened to him.
    This is not the setup to a joke; it is a real psychological disorder called koro in which victims (mostly men, but sometimes women) come to believe that their genitals are shrinking or retracting into the body. The concern is not only for their sexuality, but also for their lives, since they believe that the condition may be life threatening if not reversed. In order to prevent further shrinkage, victims have been known to securely tie their penises with string or metal clamps — even sometimes having family members hold it in relays until treatment can be sought, usually from shamen or traditional healers.

The condition has most often been found in Africa in recent decades, though it has also been widely reported in Asia. [The 9 Most Bizarre Medical Conditions]
    "In recent years, news media in several West African countries have reported periodic episodes of 'panic' in which men and women are beaten, sometimes to death, after being accused of causing penises, breasts, and vaginas to shrink or disappear," wrote Vivian Dzokoto and Glenn Adams in a study published in 2005 in the journal Culture, Medicine and Psychiatry. "At least 56 separate cases of genital shrinking, disappearance, and snatching have been reported in the last seven years [1998-2005] by news media of seven West African countries."
    Victims of koro usually believe that a touch or "accidental" brush with a stranger caused the theft, in the same way that a pickpocket might steal a wallet.Dzokotoand Adams give one example of a 17-year-old man in Ghana who "claimed that he had gone to fetch water for his father and was returning when [the perpetrator] came behind him, touched him and immediately he felt his penis shrink until it was no longer visible."
    Koro can be understood in a variety of ways; from a psychological perspective it can be seen as an example of mass hysteria or delusion, in which a collective cultural belief can be manifested in one person's experience — whether objectively "real" or not.
    "Victims of genitalia-shrinking panics recover within hours or days after being convinced that the 'illness' is over or never existed, and most clearly lack any psychosexual problems," write sociologist Robert Bartholomew and myself, in the book "Hoaxes, Myths, and Mania: Why We Need Critical Thinking" (Prometheus Books, 2003).
    "Penis-shrinking panics are a timely reminder that no one is immune from mass delusions and that the influence of culture and society on individual behavior is far greater than most of us would like to admit. Yet the main reason for the absence of penis-shrinking epidemics in Western societies is their incredible nature ... but any delusion is possible if the false belief underlying it is plausible." [Americans' Belief in Paranormal Phenomena (Infographic)]
    In this case the delusion is made possible by the underlying belief in witchcraft, or black magic. A 2010 Gallup poll found that belief in magic is widespread throughout sub-Saharan Africa, with over half of respondents saying they personally believe in witchcraft. Studies in 18 countries in sub-Saharan Africa show belief varies widely, but on average 55 percent of people polled believe in witchcraft.Because most Westerners do not believe in magic — or at least not in the variety that has the potential to shrink or steal someone's genitals — there is no underlying belief system that would make koro plausible and thus no one reports it.
    No one has ever died from koro, at least not directly. Belief in koro can have deadly consequences: hundreds of people have been accused of stealing (or shrinking) other people's genitals, and dozens have been killed for the accusations. In many cases koro "victims" have shouted and asked bystanders to help apprehend the penis thief, whereupon the accused people — often as surprised as everyone else and protesting their innocence — have been lynched on the spot by street mobs, much the way an accused mugger or rapist might be set upon by "street justice."
    I am not your rolling wheels
    I am the highway
    I am not your carpet ride
    I am the sky
    I am not your blowing wind
    I am the lightning
    I am not your autumn moon
    I am the night, the night..

Actually pretty common for SCI and or others who sit a great deal. If it becomes a problem for cathing, there is a surgical procedure to help. But you risk losing sexual ability with the surgery.

If I had a problem with turtling, I would try a penis pump, if you aren't sexually active, it might help exercise your penis more, you may be able to get it prescribed by your doctor otherwise the medical ones are expensive, there are cheaper ones that will work for about 30 dollars, just don't go crazy with it, it will temporarily pull your penis out past your normal size plus increase girth temporarily, pull too much vacuum and you can get blisters or seriously ruin your penis, done in moderation it's fine.
    "Would you rather reduce deficits and interest rates by raising revenue from those who are not now paying their fair share, or would you rather accept larger budget deficits, higher interest rates, and higher unemployment? And I think I know your answer." Ronald Reagan"

If you are experiencing shrinkage. It is most likely due to taking Klonopin..
    "Life's a Party and Your Not Invited"

Doctor Oz gave men across America a real reason to diet. He said that for obese men every 25 pounds you lose you gain back an inch. So start starving you Horses!
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Quote Originally Posted by MagikLair View Post
    If you are experiencing shrinkage. It is most likely due to taking Klonopin..
    Where did you get that information??

(KLD)

Shrinkage Factor

Hi Wheelin 48,

The "Shrinkage Factor" can be (is) caused by UTIs. UTIs agitate the bladder wall causing it to contract thus pulling in the penis. And since bacterial colonizations aren't considered UTIs in SCIs (or at least shouldn't be treated with antibiotics without certain negative symptoms) it's something that we just need to live with. Most, if not all SCIs who use catheters, are bacterially colonized. I'm not colonized because I use bookoo antiseptics as a major addendum to my cathing technique. That factoid aside, do you find that after you're on antibiotics for a UTI, and they clear up the infection, that you still experience the Shrinkage Factor? That is until you get bacterially colonized again.

Dr. Young and I were discussing this phenomenon years ago and he mentioned noticing penis shrinkage in men who had UTIs.

Bob.
    "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle." - Philo of Alexandria

Might it have something to do with whether you are a shower or a grower?

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Where did you get that information??

(KLD)
    I have seen a couple people post this on various forums. There isn't an "independent study".

Quote Originally Posted by Sue Pendleton View Post
    Doctor Oz gave men across America a real reason to diet. He said that for obese men every 25 pounds you lose you gain back an inch. So start starving you Horses!
    well that is good news to those who are overweight. I don't fall into that category... Perhaps it is something to do with UTI's as Bob mentioned. But, anyhow add it to the list of things people with SCI's have to deal with.