Thread: My story collection

My story collection

Since my recent story post in the Equipment Forum, I have receive a number of requests by CC members to post others. While waiting for the South Carolina blizzard of 2010, have put my short stories online so interested persons can access them.

In addition to my recent equipment forum post, "My Perfect Wheelchair," I have posted a revised version of "Finding Love the Hard Way,"which was shortened and further disguised for possible publication. In addition, there is:

"Cheeky," a story about a fictitious neighbor,

"Natalie's Magic Skates," a gift to my 11 year old grand-niece who is a skater,

"Another Pig Tale," which is a contemporary version of "The 3 Little Pigs" that I wrote for a children's library reading day,

"The Truth about Red Riding Hood," my demented account of the children's classic written for adults, and

"Torpedo," a tale told by Jakey Reedfeet, my rural South Carolina alter ego.

The stories are in pdf format and can be accessed from the link below. Hope you enjoy them.

http://mystories.freehostia.com/
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

Besides loving "My Perfect Wheelchair" I also enjoyed "Finding Love the Hard Way". They should be published and given out to SCI patients.

Now "Torpedo" was a hoot!

But your version of Little Red Riding Hood is very, very twisted.

Quote Originally Posted by peegy p View Post
    Besides loving "My Perfect Wheelchair" I also enjoyed "Finding Love the Hard Way". They should be published and given out to SCI patients.

At the suggestion of some other CC members, I have tried to get "Love" published in New Mobility Magazine. However, after 3 attempts to contact them during the past couple of months, they have not responded. ??? I checked with a couple other disability publications and they only accept "G" rated material. Consequently, the story is just sitting on the computers.

Now "Torpedo" was a hoot!

Torpedo is typical rural SC.

But your version of Little Red Riding Hood is very, very twisted.

As Mark Twain said, I am sorry if I did not offend the group you identify with." lol

Actually, the biggest response and demand has been for "Another Pig Tale." Ever since I read it to te kids at the library, I have been getting requests from teachers, other librarians, etc.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

NM have nudes on the cover but not publish you?

I will fight for you.

PM me the info.

Quote Originally Posted by SCIfor55yrs. View Post

As Mark Twain said, I am sorry if I did not offend the group you identify with." lol

Actually, the biggest response and demand has been for "Another Pig Tale." Ever since I read it to te kids at the library, I have been getting requests from teachers, other librarians, etc.
    And the truth shall set you free.

What about the PVA magazine?

Greatly enjoying these. Thank you!!

Self-publication is becoming more and more respectable and lucrative nowadays...The author of "Still Alice" (which is giving me nightmares as we speak) self-published her book.

Perhaps we'll see a revolution with books the way we have with music and movies?

I just read the whole story in one shot! I'm falling asleep but i was attached to your story and couldn't stop to go to bed :P. Here in spain it's freaking late.
    Thank you very much for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by catlady View Post
    Self-publication is becoming more and more respectable and lucrative nowadays...The author of "Still Alice" (which is giving me nightmares as we speak) self-published her book.

Perhaps we'll see a revolution with books the way we have with music and movies?
    One can only hope. The book publishers have been crappy gatekeepers -- mostly because the economics of their business have forced them into that corner.

The print-on-demand world has been a godsend -- a way for authors to stop begging the big houses to give them a chance. My experience was like this . . . even with very well-connected agents, major publishers would not take the risk of spending their scarce resources on a new writer, not even with multiple editors saying, "Wow, great story, great writing."

They can only afford so many gambles, eh? Their margins are small, unless the author is a brand -- in which case their margins are quite incredible.

In the meantime, the print-on-demand world is booming, serving both writers and audiences. It's a terrific feeling to publish a book -- to know that you don't need anybody's permission or blessing to see your work in print. Anybody can do it, and it's cheap and simple.

I expect that the whole industry will be turned inside out in much the same way that the music industry has been . . . just don't know exactly how that will work itself out.

the love story was wonderful. torpedo my second favorite.

Yes, Kate, you say it very well.

I'm not sure how it will work out either. Do people read as much as they listen to tunes? Could there be an iPod equivalent for short stories?

No hijacking intended..... back to topic, unless 55 has ideas on the subject?

Personally I like touching paper, but would read an electronic format if it were small enough to handle comfortably but didn't cause eyestrain.