Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad

Quote Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
    a lot like getting kicked in the hip area by a horse in terms of pain level...
    Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    I'm going to call back...

Well, I'm guessing you've been around horses. Even the little ones have a serious kick... I was impressed by your desire to help before I realized there were pain and healing issues. Got to say that I'm now even more impressed by your willingness to get horse-kicked to help a stranger. Not wanting to discourage you, but isn't your plate already pretty full of tough stuff?
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

I think your marrow is still useful. I think they are worried about having complications from donating. You can still be a donor then because, well you'll be dead and they won't be worried about that anymore.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Now foolish, how could you say, "I'm sorry you need my bone marrow but I'm a little busy with school and work right now." Maybe next year.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Now foolish, how could you say, "I'm sorry you need my bone marrow but I'm a little busy with school and work right now." Maybe next year.
    Depends on the length of the list of available and compatible donors. If I was someones only hope and knew it - it'd be tough to pass.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

It doesn't hurt long, it just hurts bad. One of my closest friends had to have a bone marrow biopsy recently. I didn't know whether to warn him. Sat and chewed my nails. That night he said "Jesus Christ, Beth!"

I have lots of bone marrow extraction stories, but I'll stop there.

I'm registered as a donor, but I'm ineligible now too. Nobody wants my immune system.

I'm proud of you, addiesue. It's a life-and-death gift. It does involve a small incision (1/4" or so), b/c the biopsy needle has to be big enough to penetrate your hipbone and aspirate the thick goopy cells of life found in your bone marrow.

http://www.organtransplants.org/understanding/marrow/

This site says the odds of being an unrelated match are 1 in 20,000. I'm wondering if our chances of osteoporosis has to do with it also. I think if I can survive a truck running over me I can survive a horse kick.

Good for you addisue. You have a kind heart.
    Sorry they wouldn't let you donate.
    God sees your heart and will bless you.

Thank you for doing it in the past, AddieSue.
    Platelet transfusions saved Carolyn's life - several times over - when she had aplastic anemia and wasn't making any of her own.
    Chemotherapy restored her bone marrow to functional status again, but it also led to a train of mishaps ending with my being on this forum.
    - Richard

Maybe you should tell your local newspaper, radio or TV station about this, AddieSue.

Quote Originally Posted by LaMemChose View Post
    Why can't you donate? Why can't any of us? Why does paralysis render bone marrow useless?
    Isn't obvious? SCI can spread in the body like AIDS. It's the dumbest bullshit. I have type O+ blood, so I could be of use to everyone in the world, perhaps even my tissues, but they reject people for the stupidest reasons.