Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sad

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    Here at the Red Cross I couldn't donate blood either because I couldn't make the transfer to the cot. They were all too high and they said they couldn't do it from my chair because of some rule. It was one of those portable sites. This was about 2 years ago.
    I can't believe the Red Cross would deny you the opportunity to give blood because of not being able to get on the cot. About 10 years ago I wanted to give my own blood for a planned surgery I had coming up. They had no problem with me sitting in my chair. I unfortunately wasn't able to give anyway because my veins were so tiny.

I'm sorry you weren't able to donate the marrow. It was very kind hearted of you for wanting to help someone in such a way. I guess there's no better feeling to know that you helped someone with the gift of their life.

I would question the marrow registry on their decision AND I would definitely have issues with the Red Cross for not allowing you to donate, whether for someone else and even for just yourself or a family member. Now that I think of it, what if you were a match for a family member. Could they really refuse your marrow donation?

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Well, I'm guessing you've been around horses. Even the little ones have a serious kick... I was impressed by your desire to help before I realized there were pain and healing issues. Got to say that I'm now even more impressed by your willingness to get horse-kicked to help a stranger. Not wanting to discourage you, but isn't your plate already pretty full of tough stuff?
    I'm definitely not a glutton for pain, but I think it would be an amazing thing to be able to save a life and have the only price for doing so a few days worth of pain. Usually the list of compatible donors is pretty small, sometimes just one person who meets all the criteria.

I am so surprised you are running up against this Addiesue. I have given blood many times, and have NEVER, ever, transferred to a cot. Hell, if they waited for me to accomplish that it would be a huge time waster. They usually have me sit with something directly in front of me, often the arm on one of those donor chairs. I am facing it the opposite direction of someone sitting in the actual chair, but it serves the same purpose in terms of not passing out on the floor on them. I have never even felt light headed, and the free cookies are a plus.

I was tested to see if I matched my brother for a bone marrow transplant obviously the doctor knew I had an SCI and never mentioned I couldn't be a donor if I matched. I wasn't a match but all is good my brother is in remission. Wonder if its just the foundation that won't let you donate.
    A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject. ~Winston Churchill

I feel like it may be different for family member. But I think to anonymously give they weigh the risk to much because they are paying for eveything. I really don't know. Their website says you are covered in case of a medical mishap while donating, maybe they think SCI doubles the risk of gettting sued. I called back and whoever they wanted me to talk to was out today of course.
    I donated platelets way back then because I had to take a health class in college and the professor gave extra credit if we did it. Then I thought it was a good thing and did it again a few times. I did it in ST Jude in Memphis. I've never tried since I moved here.

As far as the blood they said I had to be on a cot in case I passed out. They also said that I could go to the Red Cross office and donate there. I just couldn't at the mobile clinic. I just happened to be at the location they were having it that day. I didn't go specifically for that or I really would have been aggravated. I'm thinking it was about 2 years ago. I barely weigh enough anyway.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Your one hell of a gal, addie. All you've been thru, and you still want too do this. I'm in Beths boat, my immune system's sooo screwed up they run when they hear of me donating blood. Your so kind and thoughtful, why can't this SCI happen to some of the scum out there? God bless and good luck.