Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sad

Sad

I have been on the bone marrow registry for so long I forgot I was on it. I think my daughter was a baby when I donated platelets and registered. Today I got a call to see if I was still interested, I may be a match. When they heard about my SCI they said I can not be a donor. I asked to sign waivers, etc. They said no absolutely no way. Some poor person may have had a chance and SCI even took that from them.
    Some days I get so tired of the deflation that this brings. I'm just going about life, going to work, and out of nowhere I realize I'm paralyzed. I hate that knocked down feeling.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Why can't you donate? Why can't any of us? Why does paralysis render bone marrow useless?

I'm sorry you are sad, and I am surprised they said this. I was on the bone marrow registry for decades (now aged out) and registered AFTER my injury with no problem. They didn't think it was an issue at the time.

Some days (far too many) life seems to be a mortar and pestle grinding us up. SCI takes away so many of the things that can make the good days that keep us in the game as enthusiastic players.

Sorry about this for you addiesue. I'm even sorrier for the person you wanted to help. Did they give you any sensible reason for this decision?

BTW - I love that you wanted to do this.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

They said that it was too much risk and could cause complications. I think they worry about not being able to heal from the surgery? I have no idea because it says it is done with a needle and no incision. It was Be the Match foundation. By the way they didn't say I WAS a match but implied they were interested and I don't know why else they would have called out of the blue. Maybe I should call back? She said they had to remove me from the list.
    Last edited by addiesue; 02-12-2010 at 01:11 PM.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Quote Originally Posted by addiesue View Post
    They said that it was too much risk and could cause complications. I think they worry about not being able to heal from the surgery? It was Be the Match foundation. By the way they didn't say I WAS a match but implied they were interested and I don't know why else they would have called out of the blue. Maybe I should call back? She said they had to remove me from the list.
    When I registered it with something (I think) called the National Donor Registry. I even asked about my having a SCI and was told that it was a lot like getting kicked in the hip area by a horse in terms of pain level immediately after donating. We joked that I would have a plus because I wouldn't feel it.

Sorry to hear that. Kind of wierd, my hubby donates blood with the red cross every 51 days. He is O neg which makes him a universal doner. They call him all the time to remind him to come. I dont understand why there would be a difference. I would call again, maybe you were talking to someone who didnt know. Ask them why you dont qualify???

I'm going to call back in a little while and see what the issue is.

Here at the Red Cross I couldn't donate blood either because I couldn't make the transfer to the cot. They were all too high and they said they couldn't do it from my chair because of some rule. It was one of those portable sites. This was about 2 years ago.

yes I have had the same expeirence. I do not use a chair, but the thing is, the adverse affects it can have on ones health.

What a disappointment, sci takes away so much. I suppose my donor card with my driver's license is no longer valid, or my organs are no longer healthy enough for use. I knew my heart was'nt in the greatest shape, but I always thought there would be a few things they could use for transplants. Bone marrow was one of them.......

It is sad.....