Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pop upVirus on my Netbook Computer

Pop upVirus on my Netbook Computer

Cant even use it. Pop Ups Keep coming up saying it is infected and to purchase a XP Virus blocker. I was on the phone with microsoft for an hour and got nowhere. They had me entering in a phrase "Taskkill" in Run box. I tried loading on a anti-virus software disc but it would not take it as it does not let me get on the net now. I tried the restore function, but it now says its blocked from working. These guys who did up this worm virus thought of everything, its unreal. Any Ideas on how to remedy this problem and get back a clean Acer Netbook computer? I'm even willing to dump everything on the machine at this point and start with clean slate. How do I do that? I dont have any discs as none came with it, however I do have it hooked up to a CD drive.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

With no disks, if it was me I would just buy XP http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16832116511 and be done with it.

If not the way I get rid of malware is , boot into safe mode, run hijackthis http://download.cnet.com/Trend-Micro...-10227353.html and start killing nasties. If you can't run things in safe mode and you don't want to buy XP maybe someone better at this stuff than me has answers.

Take care,
    Tom

need more info, can you boot to safe mode? is there a recovery drive(hdd)? you can still safe your important files/pics and then just get Ubuntu.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

You can contact your netbook manufacturer for a recovery CD.

https://secure.tx.acer.com/RCDB/Main.aspx?brand=acer

I'm the local geek here in the neighborhood and have gotten about half dozen calls about the popup malware in the last two weeks. Malwarebytes's has an effective product.
    Daniel

mwb

If you can figure a way to get http://www.malwarebytes.org/ free version on your netbook
    it will work but you have to change the extension.

Thanks for the suggestions. I just ordered a Acer Recovery disc as I do have a external DVD/CD drive and will use that to bring the Netbook back to its new condition. In the meantime I went to walmart last night and bought a new Toshiba Laptop for $397 and its working out great so far, I'm really liking the windows 7 o/s over the XP. The graphics are more clear than on the cheap netbook and it runs videos a lot less jagged. I'll just use the netbook for when I travel and use this toshiba as my main computer once I get the netbook squared away.
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Wow, turned out to be a lot more simple than I thought, found this post on the net and it saved the day. My netbook is now restored back fully to its factory original settings and the virus is gone.

Hi, Njablos.
    I also have an acer aspire one. It has the recovery intergrated of windows XP. Save all your data on another disk, because the computer will be formatted doing this. Restart your acer, press "alt"+"F10" before windows starts, and it will take you to the recovery menu. From there you choose to restore it to the original state.
    Hope it helps you.
    /Emanuel
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

I would recommend that you go to All Programs, and create a factory default disc. It probably should be one of the first things you do (create recovery DVD) after you purchase the NetBook. You will need an external burner.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

I use a laptop with vista and had the same issue a few days ago. I downloaded (and paid for) a program to get rid of the blocker called "Spyware doctor". I ran that, and next time I turned the computer on, nothing would load!!! I waas ready to cry Then I was going through these different security settings in control panel, clicking around not knowing what I was doing, but saw this one option to do a "system recovery". Fixed it. Don't know if Spyware doctor program had anything to do with it or not. hope this helps

Blog Entries
    For FUTURE reference, don't PAY for av crap again. All tools needed to fix an infected computer are FREE. Google is your friend. IF you can distinguish between TRUTH and widely propagated fiction anytime you read online