Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Price at Spinlife/SportAid vs. my local guys

Kenniwick is very close to Seattle. I agree, go see Dominic. You'll get a good fitting and some great advice on the chair.

I bought my first ZRA from spinlife out of pocket because insurance paid for my powerchair. $3700 total with free spinergys. No problems, everything right on. My new ZRA from the DME, $12k and counting including a $3700 Ride cushion. 8 months later I still don't have it and the chair still isn't right and since BCBS already paid these guys they are barely helping even though the measurement issues are their problem. No amount of advertising can account for a 1 1/2x markup on everything. Also I got all the correct measurements done through the PT department at Craig on my own dime and it was only some last minute mis-measurements of my old chair by the DME the caused the issues. Now i'm dealing directly with Tilite and they have been great but the DME, not so much. Now if i can only figure out where they hid the diamonds and gold I must have paid for with the Ride cushion.
    -------------------------
    "...the most reliable and useful courage was that which arises from the fair estimation of the encountered peril..." Herman Melville: Moby Dick

I 100% agree with the suggestion of driving to Kennewick and dealing with Dominic. I needed to call TiLite once and spoke to him and got the situation resolved. I met up with him a few months later at the Abilites Expo and he was just as wonderful in person as he was on the phone. Answered so many questions and I'm sure could have answered TONS more!
    ~Mandy~
    SCI as a result of spinal surgery
    TiLite Aero Z!!!

Yet another part of our heath care system that is dysfunctional. The DME I use charges almost 5 dollars per catheter (type I use you can get on the web for 1.06 each). I guess they get away with it because for some reason the insurance companies don't beat them up on the price. I can't say I understand why.

The reason these two companies can sell the identical chair for so much less is they promise manufactures that they will purchase so many chairs in a year. It's that simple they are bug volume dealers on chairs and get a volume discount from the manufactures.

interesting thread... The last comment about big volume dealers getting a lower price is only true to a very small extent. IMO, dealers who charge over the retail price listed on the order forms are akin to financial rapists... Companies like Sportaid have a retail brick & morter location, and employees to pay, & insurance and all the other overhead. And still they are able to discount products - sometimes significantly... Think about who you do business with and how much money they are making off of you, and you will then figure out why you are greeted with a big smile and why they are so happy to see you.

Quote Originally Posted by grego View Post
    interesting thread... The last comment about big volume dealers getting a lower price is only true to a very small extent. IMO, dealers who charge over the retail price listed on the order forms are akin to financial rapists... Companies like Sportaid have a retail brick & morter location, and employees to pay, & insurance and all the other overhead. And still they are able to discount products - sometimes significantly... Think about who you do business with and how much money they are making off of you, and you will then figure out why you are greeted with a big smile and why they are so happy to see you.
    NO it is not a very small extent, they are able to discount products because they have as I said a deal with manufactures to buy a GUARANTEED number of chairs per year and thus get a volume discount. It is not a small extent it is the main reason.

Lets use 20 chairs as an imaginary number. Lets say Sportaid tells Tilite that it will buy 20 chairs in 2010 and on December 31, 2010 they have only ordered 16 chairs, guess what Sportaid will be billed for 4 more chairs in 2010 at a previously agreed upon price to make up the contracted 20 chairs.

While I get what you are saying about the retailers in most cases these retailers are small volume dealers and thus do not get the same discount. Volume discounts are not some thing that is limited to Sportaid and Spinlife they are a huge part of retail. Why do you think that grocery stores sell for cheaper than corner stores or Chain stores are always cheaper than the local stores, it's because of volume.

What you should question is when the Chain store that comes into your town and it is cheaper for the first 6 months and then it is just competitive or a small percentage cheaper. They are the ones that are buying the largest volume from manufactures for the best price and are squeezing the most out of the consumer. They won't be greeting you will the big smile as you walk in the door with the flashing "SUCKER" on your forehead as they know you are here because of price and not service. These are the ones making 40% margin while the little guy that is happy to see you is making 20% margin.

Find your LOWEST PRICE then check with SPORTAID we will beat it.
    Jimmy Green
    Owner