Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a State to live in.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Choosing a State to live in.

My husband and I have been considering moving south because of weather conditions. He is a level C6-7 SCI. We Have been considering South Carolina. Does anyone have any input that we could use in helping make our decision?
    We do not want florida because of hurricanes (lived there for 8 years anyway).
    We considered Texas but the heat there is pretty extreme there.
    Looking for a place where he can go outside more than 3 months of the year safely, and still recieve benefits comparable to what he gets in Minnesota. He does have SSDI and medicare so that is a plus no matter where we go.
    We are trying to create a list of Pros and Cons in order to help us make our decision.
    Not sure if this is the right forum for this but I am sure the moderators will move it to the correct forum if this is the wrong one.
    Accepting any and ALL input on this matter.
    Cathi - Wife of Edward (C6-7 complete) as of Sept. 2,2007

I have been in South Carolina since 1980 and although the weather and cost of living are pluses, the summer heat and humidity are intense (mid-May thru mid-September). Medical support for spinal cord injured people is scarce to non-existent. It is a very poor state and state supports are minimal or non-existent. I came down here knowing that my health and welfare would be at risk and was prepared and willing to deal with it. I think your best better options would be North Carolina and Virginia. Charlottesville, VA is one of my most favorite. I strongly recommend against coming here for anything but a short stay. If you have any questions, just pm me. Please be sure to give medical care availability priority in your decision.
    You will find a guide to preserving shoulder function @
    http://www.rstce.pitt.edu/RSTCE_Reso...imb_Injury.pdf

See my personal webpage @
    http://cccforum55.freehostia.com/

I think Jody just moved down that way, you might check with her, too.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Virginia

I do not know personally but I have heard through the grapevine...someone living in Virginia C5/C6 that the services are NOT good. They have actually mentioned to me a numerous occasions that they need to get out of VA. Although Charlottesville is a beautiful town the state itself faces some challenges ......

Quote Originally Posted by new dimension View Post
    I do not know personally but I have heard through the grapevine...someone living in Virginia C5/C6 that the services are NOT good. They have actually mentioned to me a numerous occasions that they need to get out of VA. Although Charlottesville is a beautiful town the state itself faces some challenges ......
    I grew up in Charlottesville. Medically speaking, the University of Virginia Health System is (1) in town and (2) actually pretty good. As for SCI-specific services, the town doesn't have much compared to a larger city w/ a model rehab center (none of which are in Virginia). It really depends on your needs though. I didn't have any problems, and there's certainly a lot of neat culture there... much of which I took for granted before moving to North Carolina.

Woodrow Wilson Rehab Center (wwrc.net) is 40min west of Cville and generally pretty good for SCI services, albeit not top-of-the-line. They understand SCI well though, which is more than can be said for many places.

If you want warm I know a lot of people move to Arizona, or New Mexico, I am not sure about the services there but I have visited them and I very much enjoyed it there. We have a few people on here that live there Ryebred, JenJen and ihope being a few that come to mind.You might want to Pm them if they don't see this thread.
    Tough Times Don't Last...Tough People Do!

I, too, have been scoping SC out for a transfer of residence.

If you don't like hurricanes, don't live on the coast. I have seen a few really nasty hurricanes come ashore there in the last 25 years.

Jody is the best one to talk with about the availability of doctors in the uplands region. (Anderson, Greenville, Spartinsburg)

What intrests me is the property tax laws. If para or quad then house and first acre is tax free, over 65 first $50,000 of assessed value is tax free.

Maybe if enough of us move there we can attract a Doctor or two trained in SCI care. (wishful thinking)

I been in Rochester NY for 11 years, will never go back there. Moved to Charlotte NC and two months later was injured here. So far i love it here, weather is great here for me, mountains on the left and ocean on the right. This winter was cold this year but sunny everyday, i love it. Downtown is very nice, the rehab was great at least for me, very helpfull, i receive ssdi and medicare, i know there are some support groups and such for sci but i havent attended to one yet.
    c6/7 incomplete 6/30/07

whats that smell? its me, cause im the shit.

если я сейчас умру то нахуй я родился

I moved to seneca on thanksgiving day. the cost of housing is much nicer than where I moved from. I had a very hard time finding a dr to take me as a patient though. my advice is to bring your records with you, and have at least a three month supply of meds. in general the cost of living is better. The folks so far are very polite. there is a lot of driving between everything. pristine roads though. I this area so far, which is oconee county. sci55 has been a great help for info. I had no trouble getting ssdi changed and getting their medicaid. I have not been out much due to cold and so much rain, but I am told the weather is unusually cold and rainy this year.

I did find two practices in my area who eventually dicided to take me on as a patient. I began to have success when I asked them for rejection letters stating their reasons for rejecting my application for care. I never got a reason, but a new resident student Dr over heard my asking, where do all the spinal cord patients go then? The greenville area has some sci Dr's, but that is about it. she later called me and asked me to come back a apply. you have to apply for care like applying for a job. There is a vocational rehab nearby, so I was surprised there were no docters expeirenced in sci.