Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 89101112131415161718

Thread: So how many of you work full time?

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    Most post secondary schools in Canada have services especially for student's with disabilities. They help with everything from funding to equipment to classes. I hope you have it in America.
    They do. But depending on where you live the funding is limited. I for instance had shit for funding because not a lot of people get paralyzed in my county I guess.

But if you got paralyzed in California you would get a lot of funding.

The school itself should provide all the tools necessary for you though. I remember they were going to purchase me a standing wheelchair when I couldn't stand up so I could do some of the labs. I didn't want to look like a robot so I told them i'd deal with it.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Quote Originally Posted by Liz321 View Post
    That PT needs to get out more.

(maybe bring her your cookies :-) )
    The PT is correct. If memory serves me right,fewer than 15% of people in chairs work full time. In the past fear of losing health benefits and medical supports such as PCAs etc has prevented many from seeking employment. Ticket to Work has eliminated many of those fears.

You will find people with spinal cord injuries doing many jobs ranging from truck driver to medical doctor. ONE OF THE REASONS SO FEW PEOPLE IN CHAIRS WORK IS WE DON"T DEMAND AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY TO ACCESS THE WORKFORCE> please excuse caps as damn sticky key keeps sticking! lol
    The ADA is not an affirmitive action program contrary to what many think. Disabilities can range from carpal tunnel syndrome to muscular dystrophy.
    When you hear the stats from DVR and other agencies touting the employment of people with disabilities,which disabilities are they talking about? You can bet your butt it ain't people in chairs!

I have stated many times on this board that if one is able to take vacations,travel when they desire,play on the computer all day long,then they are able to work.

The so called AB population works with diabetus,Chrones disease,seizure disorders,and other diseases. If we can be independent with ADLs,we can work!

Fear has been the greatest motivator since the beginning of mankind. Many of us work to keep a roof over our head and to have the ability to improve or maintain our life style.No where in the Constitution does it say the Govt is obligated to take care of us from cradle to grave. The Govt gets it's money from the people. Other people are not obligated to take care of us. I feel we should contribute to our own care.
    As illegal immigration and the illegitimate birth rate continues to rise,Medicaid dollars for the severely disabled will continue to shrink. Fear and neccesity is going to force more of us in chairs into the job market to allow us to pay for needed care etc.
    People in chairs need to strongly advocate for more opportunities to enter the workforce. We must demand access to the workforce like we did for access to buildings 30 yrs ago. Getting jobs will be much tougher than getting a ramp built. What good is access to stores,theaters,and restaurants,if one doesn't have the income to purchase the products.

Many of these so called advocacy groups promote themselves and their salaries with cute photo ops about ramps but ignore the more difficult task of advocating for employment opportunities for wheelers.

We can always find a reason not to work etc,but the fact is,as we expect more from society,society is expecting more from those of us in chairs.
    I suspect every employed person on this board has heard comments from coworkers about people they know in chairs whom they feel should be working. Fair or not,society is no longer giving us a pass!

Quote Originally Posted by mr_coffee View Post
    They do. But depending on where you live the funding is limited. I for instance had shit for funding because not a lot of people get paralyzed in my county I guess.

But if you got paralyzed in California you would get a lot of funding.

The school itself should provide all the tools necessary for you though. I remember they were going to purchase me a standing wheelchair when I couldn't stand up so I could do some of the labs. I didn't want to look like a robot so I told them i'd deal with it.
    The U.S. offers a lot of support for training via DVR. Most of it is based on economic need. Coffee,if your parents worked,then fmly income may have limited the amount of monies rec'd. DVR prefers to spread their resources over a wide range of disability groups. Those with less severe disabilities will obtain employment with much more ease than wheelers etc. Counselors are evaluated on how many of their clients go to work each yr. It's much easier and more productive to fiund and work with those with the greatest chances to obtain emplyment.

DVR needs revamped,but like most govt programs it won't be.

Handsome wheeeler, my mom is on disability as well (10,000 a year). My step dad is a truck driver but they arn't married so it wouldn't count as income.

The reason they said they had no money for me was because there aren't many disabled people in the area compared to most so they got less people employed and thus got less money to help newly injured.

I'm not sure what DVR is but mine was called OVR.
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

Actually. I said above I worked full time x 2. That is lying. I work full time x 200. Not much money though. But the fact is, actually; some that are working (and here I don't mean sci'ed nor ab's, but in general) should not work, -since some have to come after and redo it all. This means society in general could be better off, if some didn't work. Again, so that others didn't have to fix errors all the time. Thus the society might be lucky and happy that not all work, and sad that some work.
    Last edited by Leif; 03-02-2010 at 07:20 PM.

here's what I think...

There's very popular sterotypes, that are easy to frame people with, right?

For instance, I was out once, strip club i think. And a woman approached me and said "You would walk if you weren't lazy" um..yeah. Sure. The general theme that able bodied people tell themselves is "All people in wheelchairs have settlements, are lazy, or live off the government...))" I was reading on a stem cell forum once, and a person was writing about curative procedures..."Why would we want to spend all that money to develop therapies, when those people will still be living off the government anyway?" (you know how THOSE people are.)

I'll tell you this...I've seen many a "Run for the Cure" for breast cancer. Why do I never see a "roll for the cure" for spinal injury?

Just like in the Whitehouse for the last year...it's ALL about perception...it's ALL about image. Until we convey the image to society that we are ALL HEROS FIGHTing to recover...nobody will want to help us do that. Why has there never been a Hollywood movie, about the triumphant spinal injured man that WALKS AGAIN! The crowd ROARS! Against INCREDIBLE ODDS! HE DID IT!

nope, it wasn't him, right? he's in a wheelchair. It was Jesus

= It was Jesus
    Yepp, but he is dead too. Guess we have to soldier on and man up ourselfe. But I worked with Jesus some 25-30 years ago on a oil rig wintertime in the North Sea, and I must say, Mr. Jesus did his work and job, although Jesus was from a more to put it warmer place. But I remember Jesus well, Jesus had never worked in such rough seas, but still he did the job like none. I think Jesus did good. Not the best, but tryed.