Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: My brothers 2010 Cougar

Quote Originally Posted by NorthQuad View Post
    What area of Africa are you referring to? Because in many areas of Africa these animals are in abundance.

Rhinos, at least, have been hunted to near extinction in many areas and are certainly not abundant outside of preserves and protected ranges (and within which they are illegal to hunt.)

Article:

Very few rhinos now survive outside protected area:

http://www.worldwildlife.org/species...os/rhinos.html

Quote Originally Posted by Leif View Post
    So why don't farmers in Iowa support whaling then? Bad whales eat our fish (and it's food). Nice cat btw, how did it taste?
    I have nothing against whaling, and I'm pretty sure most other farmers I know probably don't have anything against whalers either?
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA

Quote Originally Posted by Alick View Post
    Interesting, I guess I didn't fully appreciate the threat posed by cougars to urban areas in parts of the US. I guess I can see how this is justified.

Still, doesn't explain hunting of non-predators for 'sport' or help me to understand the obvious pleasure and satisfaction some people seem to take in hunting.

Also, I've seen pictures on this site of guys posing with dead hippos, lions and rhinos. There's certainly not an abundance of these animals in Africa and I'm guessing they were victims of canned hunting.
    Alick, hats off to you. Most of the people that are against hunting (or other things) are so thick-headed about animal rights (or whatever their chosen protest) that they WILL not see the others view point. You have shown me that you are open minded and not afraid to admit that you see the other side. I think this is the first time this has happened.
    Stupidity ain't illegal, but it sure is inconvenient.

Help me support the 2010 Bike MS.

Quote Originally Posted by WheelieMike View Post
    Alick, hats off to you. Most of the people that are against hunting (or other things) are so thick-headed about animal rights (or whatever their chosen protest) that they WILL not see the others view point. You have shown me that you are open minded and not afraid to admit that you see the other side. I think this is the first time this has happened.
    Thanks, I can't really dispute the need to keep the cougar population in check when there are videos showing them prowling round people's homes. That being said, can it really work? Surely, even if you kill a specific number of cougars, it won't ever stop them coming into residential areas?

NorthQuad, to my knowledge the populations of the animals I mentioned are dwindling fast. Canned hunting is really false economy, because they charge foreigners a large one-off sum of money to kill the animal and then have it stuffed/displayed. After that the animal can't be used to generate income, it's earning potential is lost. Thats why most conservationists in Africa would never endorse canned hunting.

I worked in a game reserve in South Africa, where they kept a large number of animals, including endangered species such as wild dogs and black rhino in a natural environment where they fended for themselves and where human interaction was restricted. They made a good income from having guests stay on the reserve and taking them on drives to see the animals. Needless to say hundreds of people made a living from the reserve and crucially Africa's wildlife was protected and conserved.

Canned hunting is an abhorrent practice because animals are killed needlessly for a short-term hit of money which ends up reaching very few people. That's not to mention that those who participate in it are typically cowardly and seemingly out to prove their superiority over animals which are by far their physical superior (I encountered many such people while I was in Africa).
    Last edited by Alick; 02-12-2010 at 11:04 AM.

Great Cougar I imagine it would be a awesome hunt.
    My biggest best memory was taking a black bear at 13 steps with my bow.
    CONGRATS AGAIN.

i don't know about random hunting to keep them in check but where I live in Northern BC they are killed after becoming pests or attacking humans. Our neighbours run an alpaca ranch and for two summers (with a year in between) a mother cougar and her cubs would come and kill numerous alpacas all in one night - it was pretty freaky the night they killed 9 and didn't even eat one. The conservation officer thinks she was showing her cubs where and how to get an easy meal before she kicked them out (they stay with their mother for over a year).
    Then a few months ago this http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...urns-lake.html happened.
    In both cases the cougar was eventually killed. Its a problem when they see humans or livestock as prey. Gives me chills though. Our other neighbour heard her dog freaking out in the night and looked outside to see a cougar strolling through her back yard... so probably went through my back yard too.
    Part of the reason we got a dog was so that he could alert us to bears or cougars. If the kids are outside playing and the dog starts barking they know to calmly head inside. 99% ofd the time it will probably be a false alarm but it makes me feel better. I always carry an air horn outside and my husband has a rifle. Hopefully with a cattle farm on one side and the alpaca ranch on the other and horses etc all around, my kids won't look too tempting.

That being said, I'd rather live in the country and be scared of animal predators than live in the city and be worried about people predators. At least animals aren't malicious or psychopathic.
    Emily, C-8 sensory incomplete mom to a 8 year old and a preschooler. TEN! years post.

Hear that.

Quote Originally Posted by Emi2 View Post
    i don't know about random hunting to keep them in check but where I live in Northern BC they are killed after becoming pests or attacking humans. Our neighbours run an alpaca ranch and for two summers (with a year in between) a mother cougar and her cubs would come and kill numerous alpacas all in one night - it was pretty freaky the night they killed 9 and didn't even eat one. The conservation officer thinks she was showing her cubs where and how to get an easy meal before she kicked them out (they stay with their mother for over a year).
    Then a few months ago this http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...urns-lake.html happened.
    In both cases the cougar was eventually killed. Its a problem when they see humans or livestock as prey. Gives me chills though. Our other neighbour heard her dog freaking out in the night and looked outside to see a cougar strolling through her back yard... so probably went through my back yard too.
    Part of the reason we got a dog was so that he could alert us to bears or cougars. If the kids are outside playing and the dog starts barking they know to calmly head inside. 99% ofd the time it will probably be a false alarm but it makes me feel better. I always carry an air horn outside and my husband has a rifle. Hopefully with a cattle farm on one side and the alpaca ranch on the other and horses etc all around, my kids won't look too tempting.

That being said, I'd rather live in the country and be scared of animal predators than live in the city and be worried about people predators. At least animals aren't malicious or psychopathic.
    Very well put into words Emi.

Texans fishing whales with caterpillars. I think it is better professional fishermen do this, more humane I mean. It is not good Beaumont does this, espescially during the opening seronomy of the Canadian Olympics.

Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    This would be his fifth cat in ten years but when you feed 10 dogs I guess you deserve to harvest a cat now and then
    Nobody "deserves" to arbitrarily kill another creature for fun.

C.

And nobody give me any crap about not "knowing" about predators. I just respect them and give them their space. If humans didn't fuck up the natural balance so much and so invade other predators' territories so that those creatures are forced into populated lands, well, wouldn't things be different?

Then we would all be living on top of each other like 3rd world countries then?
    T8/9 (2-24-06)
    IOWA