Thread: Scuba Diving and Flying a Plane

Scuba Diving and Flying a Plane

Hi, Everyone.

I am trying to find grants for a paraplegic (T6, Asia A) to scuba dive and also to get a pilot's license. I've heard there are grants for both but I'm not sure where to find them. Any tips? I usually get great suggestions on here. I have looked into Diveheart for scuba but also wondered if there are additional scholarships/grants available.

Thanks in advance for your help!!

Diveheart rocks pretty hard. You might try Cody Unser's First Step Foundation. I don't think they actually give grants but they retrained me and my dive buddy (to allow for my sci) and took us on a killer trip to Cozumel.

I had Diveheart training, the trip was cufsf financed.

If you're a veteran, Wounded Warriors is in on this also, I believe.

What kind of grant are you thiking? You're looking at 2 darned expensive hobbies, unless you live somewhere that you can dive nearby. I've got a closet full of former money that some people call "dive equipment".

Yup, If you watched Nova last night, thats what I used to do, till gasoline for travel, mixed gasses for breathing got sky high. Then to top it off I started to work out to get my upper body strong and outgrew a $1,500 NEW drysuit.

All the same, I got to see some pretty cool stuff.

GRRRRRR

B

Divepirates.org

I was very blessed to run into some folks involved in this program while outto eat for my birthday with my wife. I was asked about intrest in scuba diving and explained that they not only train, provide equipement, but also a week trip diving to the caymons ALL FREE. Onyea and they provide all these services for whom ever is your dive partner.

I have yet to start my training, but equipement has been purchased and trip is book for this June. The people I have spoken with involved with dive pirates have been completely first class.

Your locating does not matter either. I am in Florida and they are based out of Texas. Great opportunity I highly reccomend them.

Quote Originally Posted by betheny View Post
    I've got a closet full of former money that some people call "dive equipment".
    You kill me! lol I've got some of that money myself.

Arcadi, get certified and I'll come down and we'll hit some reefs and shallow wrecks, then I'll take you up to the springs so you can see what some really clear water looks like.

Cavemuscle,

In the process brother. I know all about Oklahoma and the lakes. Not really all I have drank a lot hanging out there tho. I graduated from NSU.

Quote Originally Posted by Arcadi View Post
    Cavemuscle,

In the process brother. I know all about Oklahoma and the lakes. Not really all I have drank a lot hanging out there tho. I graduated from NSU.
    Sadly, Oklahoma lakes now s*ck for diving. Over development and farm/ranch run off have so badly polluted them they are unfit for swimming.

Closest place i go for OK vis is Oronogo north of Joplin.

Last time I drove to North Central Florida it was 17 hours straight from OKC to Gainsville, about the same to the UP of Michigan for wrecks.

Keep me updated on how certification goes.

B