View Poll Results: How often do you back-up your data?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week.

43 38.05%
  • Once a month.

27 23.89%
  • Once a year.

21 18.58%
  • Never, I don't know how to back-up.

22 19.47%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backup! Backup! Backup!

Formerly The People's Republic of Palo Alto, Now The Urban Wasteland - Orange, CA
    I voted "Once a Week" as that was the option closest to what I do. I back up daily, in real-time. I have an external hard drive which is connected to my laptop whenever I'm at my desk - and it will scan files for changes and make backups in real-time.

Blog Entries
    Because I have a raid 0 setup, I back up nightly.
    Don - Grad Student Emeritus
    T3 ASIA A 26 years post injury

I own a mac. the time machine app updates every 24 hours on it's own.

Anyone use Carbonite or something similar for backup ? Is it the same as Dropbox ?

Obieone
    Last edited by Obieone; 10-19-2011 at 08:21 AM.
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

Obi - Dropbox and Carbonite are both online cloud storage that backup your data. They both use encryption to protect your data from prying eyes. Dropbox gives you 2 GB of free data storage after that you have to pay for more. Carbonite is unlimited data storage and the price is about $50 a year. Choosing between the two depends on how much data you need to back up. Carbonite is set it and forget it. It continues to do incremental backups in the background. We have members that use both services. If you have any more questions just fire at will.

The test of success is not what you do when you are on top. Success is how high you bounce when you hit the bottom
    --General George Patton

Complex problems need to be solved collectively.
    ––Paul Nussbaum
    usc87.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Obieone View Post
    Anyone use Carbonite or something similar for backup ? Is it the same as Dropbox ?
    I use both...

DropBox is great for syncing stuff in the DropBox folder between computers and devices, sharing folders with colleagues. It only backs up stuff that's in the DropBox folder.

Carbonite is great for my peace of mind, backing up online in "the cloud" so I have all my files on my computer (sans applications) backed up offsite. I backup hourly to external hard drives, but it's good to know my stuff is accessible in the cloud if something happens at home (fire, theft, etc). If you have more than one computer and sign up for Carbonite, sign up just one, and you should get an email from them for 50% off another computer.
    Last edited by t8burst; 08-25-2017 at 12:58 PM.

Thank ya - thank ya very much !!

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I just started using Mozy.com, on the recommendation of a friend, and so far have been happy with this. I set it for daily back-up during a time that I am nearly always on this site. It does it automatically. My old computer died at Thanksgiving and I lost a lot of photos and documents I am sorry to no longer have.

(KLD)

I use one called CrashPlan I think I have it set up to back up every eight hours, or I might have changed that to 24 hours. It's a parameter you can change.

You can backup to the cloud, another pc in house, or to a friends PC if they use crash plan. It's similar to Carbonite or mozy where your cloud backups are encrypted. I've used it for about a year or so and had to do one restore which seemed to go pretty smoothly.

I liked it because of their family plan as I backup 5 PCs using it.

You can check it out at the link below.

http://www.crashplan.com/