View Poll Results: How often do you back-up your data?

Voters
112. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week.

43 38.39%
  • Once a month.

27 24.11%
  • Once a year.

20 17.86%
  • Never, I don't know how to back-up.

22 19.64%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Backup! Backup! Backup!

Was taught to develop a good backup strategy when I designed my file structure. The most important part of your system is data. Without good data everything else is worthless.

1. Complete System backup done at system baseline and incremental backup after every configuration (application install or remove) change stored on external HD or different machine.

2. Complete Data backup. All data that changes is on one directory branch to an external HD.

3. Immediate backup of all critical data, e.g. Quiken, Time & Chaos, Serial number and Passwords after every use by emailing them to a web mail address for free off site storage. Also is included in data backup.

This way i can get access to my critical data 24/7 from any PC and for a System restore (if it was a HD failure) is New HD->Complete System restore->all Data files (containing critical data) gives me an up to date system quick and simple.

For example there are actually 4 copies of my checkbook. First is original, 2nd is backup done by the program itself to the Data branch, 3rd is my external drive and the 4th in my mailbox.

Using PGP & email I have a reliable, secure and inexpensive backup solution.

Quote Originally Posted by Scorpion View Post
    My manga avatar was sexy?
    'twas

Semi-frequently.

I use Time Machine as well. My MBP travels with me daily, is my primary machine, and is jacked into a 1TB drive 1-2x/wk for backup. I also lease a server for work that's sitting in a Chicago datacenter, running a RAID 10 array. It doesn't get everything backed up on it, but important stuff is pushed over there every so often. I want a Drobo for some extra on-site redundancy, but can't justify the expense right now.

Another backup technique I use occasionally. I boot up from an ubuntu live cd and use gparted to do a partition-to-partition copy onto an external hd. Then if my hard drive dies I can restore the partition back onto a new, empty hard drive and gparted will resize as necessary. Then I just run the windows repair disk (or grub) to reset the MBR and I'm good to go! This came in very handy for me recently when my main hd failed. I was able to recover a dual-boot installation without reinstalling anything, and re-sync my email and working files with dropbox.

Extra hard drives with OS image backups.

Both my desktops have 2 hard drives + an external. I use NORTON GHOST image backup to backup my operating systems to an internal slave hard drive + external portable HDD.

For my laptops I partition my hard drive. I create a virtual 2nd hard drive for a safe storage area.

If I experience a catastrophic CRASH, my slave and external HDDs are not affected. I simply run GHOST RESTORE and recover my last operating system disk, the way it was before the crash.

I also use online backup storage for incremental updates between major system backups.

I keep Irreplaceable data and OS's burned to DVDs and stored offsite incase of theft or fire.

I'm a backup freak. I learned long ago how to avoid going through 'computer hell' reformatting my hard drive, reloading all my drivers, and software. I've been doing this in some form, (floppies), since the old DOS and dial-up Bulletin Board Days. I still have my pictures and files that I began with on my old IBM 8088 Monochrome!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JoeMonte View Post
    I have an external drive and it is great. You just back up any important data any time of the day. You can just back it up as you go instead of doing it once a week or so. They are worth the hundred dollars. I have lost to much of data over the course of my work.
    Best Regards,

I have been around and worked with personal computers since they first started getting into the home 30 years ago. I go back to the old dos, duel 5 1/2 in floppy disk days and have seen quite a bit over the years.

The most important thing you can do to protect your computer and valuable data is to back it up. So how do you do it? What is the best way? There are many solutions available you can save it to an external device like a flash drive, external hard drive, burn it to cd or dvd or even store it on line.

The best most practical and easiest solution I have come up with is to mirror or clone my drive. Most new computers today come with a single hard drive which is partitioned or divided into two partitions the main larger working partition and a smaller system restore partition. There are several problems with this set up. First if hard drive fails, and it will, the restore partition becomes un-accessible and cannot help you. Second if you can use the restore partition it will wipe your hard drive and restore it to the day you bought it, losing all you documents and photos anyway.

So here is what I did.

After my last hard drive crash I purchased 2 identical 500 gig Western Digital hard drives and installed one as the master the other as a slave. Then I made a heavy duty toggle switch and spliced it into the power cable going to the new slave drive so by flipping the switch I could turn off the slave. I reinstalled my operating system and all my software onto my new master drive and when it was up and running perfectly just the way I wanted it I powered the computer down. Now I flipped the toggle switch to activate the slave, rebooted the computer and used Acronis True Image for Western Digital to make an identical copy of my boot drive to my slave. Power the computer back down, flip the toggle switch and boot up again.

Here are my reasons for doing it this way.

1. Western Digital appear to have in my experience the longest lasting drives on the market.

2. Transfering internal hard drive to internal hard drive is much faster than any other way, a complete backup takes just under 2 hours.

3. Acronis True Image is offered on Western Digital s web site for free in a version that will work only with western digital drives.

4. True Image makes a complete, bootable, clone backup of your drive so in the event of a crash I open the case switch the drive jumpers and drives and am back up in a few minutes.

5. The on off switch makes sure both drives don't run all the time and risk wearing out / failing at the same time. Hard drives are rated in hours of operation so my backup drive or slave derive has far less hours on it than my boot drive.

6. By using two identical drives there is no problem with drive or partition size during a backup.

7. I try to run this clone/backup every week.

Hope this helps save someones computer some day.
    ^^(A)^^

I have an external drive and it is great. You just back up any important data any time of the day.

Anyone know how to restore a backup into a RAID?

I am an old-school and was raised on experience to BEBO, Backup Early Backup Often or SESO Save Early, Save Often. This was done while writing a document, not the whole PC, Computers would often crash for no reason and you would lose everything you just typed.

Applying this philosophy over to computers and neworks (at work COMSEC) has led me have my own personal backup strategy. After purchasing a computer and installing all applications and configuring it how I liked it etc. I would backup the complete system. Then every time I used it I backed up the data. This would mostly be my checkbook, appointment, phonebook, etc.

I would back the data up on another physical hard drives in computer the computer (actually it's stored on an external hard drive) and then to meet the off-site backup requirement, I would e-mail myself the data file. Sometimes I will just store them on another computer in the network.

Each time I install an application or significantly reconfigure the computer I do another complete system backup.

By doing this if my computer completely crashes I can go purchase another one (if I had to), restore my baseline, restore my data and be back up the same day with a 100% operational computer with current data.

On another note I used two identical SATA III HARD drives that I was thinking of putting in a raid configuration outline. When I installed: Windows 7 professional it put the system files one drive, and did not label the volume or assign a drive letter and all the other operational files on the C: drive.

It may be tricky, any suggestions? See what windows did with drives 0 and 1, they are not assigned C and D, it takes a SATA II 300GB drive and assigns it D.

How do i get the system files from unassigned volume onto the C drive (that has the boot and page file) so I can restore them into a RAID configuration?

i'm glad that every week... mother spilled water on my laptop y-day
    C5/C6 Complete since 08/22/09

"Real men don't backup."

I laughed when I read that quote in a Mac programming book by Scott Knaster published in the late 80s or early 90s.

It was ironic because I ended up working tech support for the company that "invented" the first backup solution for the Mac: PCPC. (They were most well-known for their hard drives.)

I backup daily and keep multiple copies of important files.