View Poll Results: How often do you back-up your data?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Once a week.

43 38.05%
  • Once a month.

27 23.89%
  • Once a year.

21 18.58%
  • Never, I don't know how to back-up.

22 19.47%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Backup! Backup! Backup!

Not as often as it needs to be done!

I know it is important to back up your data but unfortunately, I don't do it as often as I should. And I know that one day I may regret it. Maybe I am just too lazy or I need a good lesson. As they say, a burn child fears fire :-)

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon

Never, but I do know how to back up.

For Apple time machine to be useful you really need a separate physical drive (not partition) which you may have in a desktop or you can do it to NAS (Time Capsule) or other external storage.

If your house burns down, I hope your NAS is in the shed.

When I outgrow a disc I copy old shit on to new one. I still have the old discs. I still have old F stuff from cards and PC XT. Some interesting algorithms on my 5.25" not spinning at the moment, but it does still boot on '486.

I know all about dump and restor from the days of half inch tape and quite good at pax, tar, cpio, rsync, nfs, scp, etc. for transfer and have fscked systems back from the dead with lost super blocks.

Now if I was running Plan9 backups would be as easy as Time Machine, but better.
    Last edited by zagam; 01-17-2013 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Those little words

Western Australia - Hammer wielding daemon
    Now have an Apple Time Capsule. Do daily time machine and incremental Linux tar|lzop|aespipe backups. Roll them as as you do tapes. Old enough to remember cards and tape.
    Last edited by zagam; 08-02-2016 at 02:39 AM. Reason: added frequency

No appropriate poll choice for me: "as often as anything important changes -- and ONLY that important thing" (so, I'd guess "ongoing" and "incremental"??)

The problem with most backup strategies is they are rarely tested -- until needed. Then, you discover that there were holes in your strategy (or, in your recovery strategy).

Do you have to, first, reinstall your OS in order to run whatever program you used in order to perform the restore? Can you "restore" to a different computer than the computer from which you originally performed the backup? E.g., when a computer "dies" or is stolen?

How do you recover a backup that was taken before you updated your OS? Or, updated your computer? Will the most recent batch of "updates" interfere with your ability to restore whatever you need/lose?

Will your "new environment" be tolerant of the filenames and filesystem structure that was in place in your "original" system? E.g., I have files called "ReadMe" and "README" and "readme" coexisting in the same directory. If I restore there, will I end up with just ONE file instead of three different ones?

Do you have to restore an entire snapshot of your system? Or, can you hunt for individual files? E.g., when you accidentally delete ONE file, do you have to restore EVERYTHING to recover it?

When was the last time you practiced a restore -- by simulating a crash? If you aren't confident enough in your backup strategy to actually deliberately crash your system, that suggests you need a better strategy!

If your backup medium is off-site, can you get your computer to a state where it can access that "offsite backup" in order to restore it?

If your backup medium is spinning alongside your primary medium (e.g., a second drive in your computer), are you sure there won't be any failures that cripple both drives? (power supply going haywire; bug in a system driver; etc.) If drive 1 fails, how likely is it that drive 2 (same age/make/model/size?) will fail in a similar timeframe?

If you rely on RAID to protect your data (you're confused as to the reasoning behind RAID!), are you sure you can rebuild a replacement drive (that you have on hand, already, right??) before the rest of the array deteriorates (many RAID systems encounter a second failure during a rebuild of a first failure -- especially with modern oversized drives -- thus, losing it all!)?

If your backup medium is "off-line", are you sure of its integrity, today? When was the last time you verified ALL of its contents were accessible?

I have close to 100T in magnetic (disk) media on hand. And, probably close to 20 machines (you need to be able to recover from a crashed laptop, too, right -- even if you rarely use it!). "Backup" is important to me. Yet, I can't afford an IT department to keep everything "available" for me. Just keeping track of what I have, on hand, is a significant effort!

Think about how YOUR "system"/policy can fail you before settling on one.

Quote Originally Posted by Cris View Post
    On another note I used two identical SATA III HARD drives that I was thinking of putting in a raid configuration outline. When I installed: Windows 7 professional it put the system files one drive, and did not label the volume or assign a drive letter and all the other operational files on the C: drive.

It may be tricky, any suggestions? See what windows did with drives 0 and 1, they are not assigned C and D, it takes a SATA II 300GB drive and assigns it D.

How do i get the system files from unassigned volume onto the C drive (that has the boot and page file) so I can restore them into a RAID configuration?
    I'm not sure I understand your comments/question. To resummarize:

You had two (identical) drives in the machine when you installed W7. Windows called the first drive C: and ignored the second drive.

Furthermore, if you add an external drive, now, that drive is seen as D: -- despite the fact that the drive that YOU think of as D: is still inside the computer, but inaccessible.

First step is to have windows recognize the second (internal) drive.

Right click on "My Computer". Select "Manage" from the menu. You will need Administrator privilege to proceed.

The "Computer Management" window opens. Click on "Disk Management" in the menu on the left. If the menu is not visible, click on the "Show/Hide Console tree" icon in the toolbar (mouse-over and you'll see the names of each icon appear)

The window will be populated with a list of the "drives" that are connected to your computer. You will see a "C:" drive.

The "second" drive will appear without a drive letter. It will probably be called "Disk 1" (numbering starts from 0). It will be described as "Offline" and "unallocated" (unless there is some leftover cruft on it from some other machine -- topic for another post).

Right click on the "Disk 1" portion of the display (where it says "Offline"). Select "Online" from the menu. The disk will now appear as "Uninitialized".

Right click, again, and select "Initialize Disk". Select the "MBR" radio button. Click OK. The disk now appears as "Online".

Move the mouse over a bit to the right where it hows the disk in a more graphical form and says "Unallocated". Right click and select "New Simple Volume" and "Next".

You'll probably want to accept the default settings for size. "D:" should be offered as the drive letter (unless you've got something else using that, presently -- another post).

Proceed through screens to format the drive. This may take some time.

When done, the display should show that drive as D:, Online, its total size, "NTFS" as the file system and a "Healthy" primary partition.

Now the system sees C and D. You'll have to use the RAID wizard to actually build a RAID configuration (spanned, striped, mirrored, etc.)

But, I'd suggest you rethink that and understand your motives and GOALS as it is likely NOT what you want.