Thread: Chess player loses King, Queen, Bishop

Chess player loses King, Queen, Bishop

A quadriplegic (in his 20's or 30's) has no family members interested in him (at least none I can detect - all are in another state except one that came and took him home for a day a couple of months ago, boosting his spirits immeasurably) and therefore the PT team at the nursing home is not seriously pursuing his case. They say they are giving him ROM (range of motion) therapy, but I have no evidence of it. A young therapist who left was supposedly investigating the possibility of FES (functional electrical stimulation) but gave up the cause, apparently - anyway, he's gone. This fellow is stuck in bed watching TV for the rest of his life, and the aides supposedly toss coins as to who is going to "change" his sheets. When I tried to inquire as to what therapy was being given him, I as much as got fired - as a volunteer! - so I decided to resign instead. (A similar case where a guy's mother was there every day got lots of attention, and he has been released, a thousand times improved (and he started off worse than the first guy.) Is there any way I can get the first guy more attention? (he was a championship chess player in high school)

Hi Lulu, the advice I can give from personal experience is that first and foremost he needs a strong advocate or needs to be able to be his own advocate. If his injury is recent one of the best things you can do in my experience is to encourage him to advocate for himself, many people feel (understandably) that they are completely helpless after their injury. He needs to be reminded and encouraged that loss of physical ability does not equate to inability to control his personal situation. I hope that you will still be able to visit him even though you have resigned, he will need this.

Call your state's Protection and Advocacy Service (PAS). They are charged with advocating for people with disabilities who live in institutional settings.

If you have a Center for Independent Living in your area, you should also call them. CILs teach and do individual advocacy, and have helped several people I know transition from nursing homes to living independently. (The quality of service available from CILs vary greatly from area to area.)

You should also report this facility to the state licensing board.

It's criminal that you were dismissed -- you're just what every nursing home needs: people who genuinely care. You've earned about a billion karma points for this, LL. <3
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

RE: King, Queen, Bishop guy

Hi!

Thanks for your encouraging response. Do you have any idea if FES (funcional electrical stimulation) would help him? ( or what would?) He is lying in bed watching TV. He can barely move one leg, and the other not at all. As for his arms, he can move one enough to scratch his nose. When they feed him, one nurse makes him reach for the sandwich in order to get it - she doesn't just hold it to his mouth. Does that give a clue?

L L

Just so sad. To think you're living life one day and needing to be reside in a home the next.

Quote Originally Posted by Little LuLu View Post
    Hi!

Thanks for your encouraging response. Do you have any idea if FES (funcional electrical stimulation) would help him? ( or what would?) He is lying in bed watching TV. He can barely move one leg, and the other not at all. As for his arms, he can move one enough to scratch his nose. When they feed him, one nurse makes him reach for the sandwich in order to get it - she doesn't just hold it to his mouth. Does that give a clue?

L L
    If he can move either leg, he is an incomplete injury and has potential. I can assist you more if I know what state he lives in. I am guessing that he is an incomplete quad and if that is the case, FES would benefit him greatly.
    Please send me a PM and I can assist you with some things offline.
    Every day I wake up is a good one