Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Hope

To me hope is a mindset. It's very hard to define, and like "trust," "love," "optomism," "faith," "friendship" and other things it does let you down from time to time and requires you to adjust. To me, it's partly about working hard, smart and consistently for the best life you and those important to you can have and being optomistic that the result of all of that will be "enough."

Or maybe it's just that living a hopeless, paranoid, loveless, pessimistic, faithless, and friendless life might seem to avoid all risk of being let down, but it isn't a way of life likely to include much happiness, either.

I don't think you can place all of your eggs in one basket and make your happiness hinge on just hope for one thing, or one friend, or just one love, etc. I think it takes a bundle of these and other things to make a life worth living.

Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    They do that with the children in the schools where I live. My smallest child has never gone to an accessible school and if his father doesn't care to come and carry my up the stairs I have never been able to go on schools for meetings.

I survieve but I wonder how the children feel when they have to be carried in and out of the school every day and have to stay inside in all the breaks. It is sad.

My main consern is that I can't get inside to buy food without somebody carry me inside in the shops, it is 8 steps in one and 4 in the other one. And I would like to get inside in all the cafes here and not sit outside all the winter in the cold. And with a bathroom.

And I want a job, a job where I can use my education, not a job they have made for mentally retarded.
    Access for you is even worse than it is here. Usually, the schools do make some attempts at getting the kids to an accessible floor or room so they can get out. But not all schools are accessible.

You have to be carried into a grocery store. Gosh, this is bad! Most all of our supermarkets have a level entry way and our shopping malls are wheelchair accessible. The smaller shops may not be. But I would be so overwhelmed if I had to be carried into school to see my kids. I am so sorry.

I had a friend from Africa visit recently. She told me all kids with disabilities are carried to school, if they go at all. She told me she was carried on the back of her mom to school everyday, there was not accessible transportation which could not take her or her child. She said it was near impossible to get to a doctors visit with a sick child because her wheelchair could not hold him.

I know in many countries, there is so little regard for people with disabilities. We have recognition here, but we have so much further to travel to have people with SCI and disabilities able to make a good living based on their education...

Hope is like a road in the country; there was never a road, but when many people walk on it, the road comes into existence. ~Lin Yutang

I like this quote. Hope for me means that I can have faith in something even though it is unseen.

For me Hope is how I make it through each day. Even though I don't know what tomorrow is going to bring, I can hope that it brings something good or I can accept reality that it probably won't be any different than today.

I guess Hope makes me optimistic.

I will think on this and may write more later.
    T12-L2; Burst fracture L1: Incomplete walking with AFO's and cane since 1989

My goal in life is to be as good of a person my dog already thinks I am. ~Author Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Andes View Post
    When I was a little girl I hoped for a pair of red cowboy boots. I hoped for a Teddy Ruxpin. Then I hoped that Jase LaCross would ask me to the prom. I usually got everything I hoped for. When I got older I hoped that they would find a cure for the disease that stole my dad, then I hoped that chemo would work for my mom. Now I hope for things like my brother deciding to go on a ventalator, and the blood clot in Mark's leg will desolve and not move. I hope that no one else in my family will get this . I think back when those red cowboy boots were the most important thing in my life.
    Without hope of some kind there would be no point in going on. I hope for different things now and I think I am willing to settle for less. I dont hope for a cure anymore but I hope for more time.
    what a poke in the heart this gave me. you are a beautiful family. I hope to be less of a baby about my ails.

Cool

For me hope now is something i can do short term & realistic to better my mental & or physical health. Not to say i dont have long term goals i am working on but the blind faith i had in being cured for a couple of things not just SCI is just not in me anymore. I have lost most all my faith in doctors, it sounds depressing because it is to me. The health care system, ill educated idiots (docs) and lack of adequate drugs is more than i can take at this time. Then when you get pissed off they want to lock you up saying you have mental problems, well yeah! you would too!!! LOL
    “If everybody's thinking alike, somebody isn't thinking.” Gen. Patton

mr.coffee feel free to chime in here, because i love your posts, your attitude reminds me a lot of when i was in my 20's. This weekend marks my 7th year in a wheelchair. Since I got hurt I married a beautiful woman and we were lucky enough to have 2 beautiful girls that i spend every day with. without this injury i would still be running amok. I have a wife,a house,and 2 girls that make me run the gauntlet of love,madness, frustration,joy*insert any emotion here* every day. I have given in to the fact if a "cure" was found today I will have already missed the ship because of all the time I have already spent sitting on my crippled ass has done so much damage to my body. My one and only hope is that my children, or anybody's child never has to live with the burden we have been stuck with. The advancements in initial care are so far beyond what we all received it is not funny. My hope is my daughters never would have to live like i (we) do now. just my hope. As ridiculous as it may sound to some people, I wake up and drag my ass to my girls room and change their diapers every day hoping for that one thing. I accept that i am shot. I will just do the best i can with what little time I have left to try and make this world a little better than when I came kicking and screaming in as I go out trying to kick and scream.

The Chinese words for hope:

in pin yin, it is pronounced xi1 and wang4

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    I guess my main hope at this point personally is that nothing gets much worse until I die in my early 70's and that I can maintain my current lifestyle as long as possible. That something like Cancer does not come along or other dire health problem.
    We're in exactly the same place there.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Wise Young View Post
    The Chinese words for hope:

in pin yin, it is pronounced xi1 and wang4
    Chinese caligraphy is so beautiful. I am taken by how many strokes it takes to form the simple word hope. In any language hope can be difficult to achieve, but it still is a wonderous thing.

Hope

Exactly

Quote Originally Posted by jody View Post
    what a poke in the heart this gave me. you are a beautiful family. I hope to be less of a baby about my ails.