Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Downhill skiing - weight restrictions?

Downhill skiing - weight restrictions?

Question for adaptive downhill skiers - is it common for there to be a weight restriction for monoskiing?

A friend who is an MS quad was told by an adaptive program in Canada that they could not help her because she weighs over 200 lbs. She's crushed - it took months for her (a former avid downhill skier) to get to the point where she could accept that an adaptive form of the sport wouldn't be second best.

Over 200 lbs
    not being funny, but how much over.

I take part in a ski program and all the helpers volunteer, l'm no light weight
    At 220 lbs and it's a damn mighty workout for 3 burly guys who help me.
    When you're on the side of a mountain and it's blowing a blizzard and they have to man
    Handle you upright to get going, I can totally see I am pushing their
    Limits and would hate to think I am causing anyone an injury. So
    I can totally see there would be a weight limit. Just for everyone's safety.
    Just my 2 cents.

Quote Originally Posted by NW-Will View Post
    Over 200 lbs
    not being funny, but how much over.

I take part in a ski program and all the helpers volunteer, l'm no light weight
    At 220 lbs and it's a damn mighty workout for 3 burly guys who help me.
    When you're on the side of a mountain and it's blowing a blizzard and they have to man
    Handle you upright to get going, I can totally see I am pushing their
    Limits and would hate to think I am causing anyone an injury. So
    I can totally see there would be a weight limit. Just for everyone's safety.
    Just my 2 cents.
    Thanks for your response. I'd guess she's around 210-220. What program do you ski with?

Over 200

We have a friend here at Stowe Mountain Resort in Vermont that is probably 220 and he has no problem. I do think the ski may be a tighter fit..but other then that I know of no problem.

I thought I'd follow up on this with what little I've learned.

I surveyed all the adaptive programs I could find here in Colorado. The majority have a 200 pound weight limit. Breckenridge has a 220 pound weight limit. A couple of them didn't say.

I've been offered the following two explanations:

1. It's for the volunteers' safety, limiting the amount of weight they will have to lift either onto the lift or after a fall.

2. It's a restriction due to program equipment; the monoskis and biskis owned by programs may not have adequate springs for heavier participants.

I looked into a ski program here in Va.

Wintergreen Ski resort. Thier website doesnt mention a weight limit, yet when I emailed them inquiring the specifics, I was told that they had a 185 lb limit. Shoot...havnt seen that weight since I had hair.......

Didnt say if it was an equipment limit,or for teh volunteers' backs..
    Whichever, it killed my hopes of gettn on the slopes.

A lot of the weight restrictions come from the equipment manufacturers. Freedom Factory sets a limit of 220lbs for all of its skis. I imagine that at a certain point the rider would bottom out on the spring sitting still.

And as NW_WILL points out, there is also a safety issue for the instructors. Mono instructors have to work very hard with a first-timer and asking one person to try to control a 300lb load (skiier and ski) going down a hill is a lot to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    I looked into a ski program here in Va.

Wintergreen Ski resort. Thier website doesnt mention a weight limit, yet when I emailed them inquiring the specifics, I was told that they had a 185 lb limit. Shoot...havnt seen that weight since I had hair.......

Didnt say if it was an equipment limit,or for teh volunteers' backs..
    Whichever, it killed my hopes of gettn on the slopes.
    Are you serious? I skied with them for several years and I'm certain I was either at, or above, 185. It never came up that I'm aware of. You being a para, your weight shouldn't be a problem. Want me to call them for you? I served on their board for 4-5 years. Let me know, I'll be glad to help because it is an awesome experience and the snow up there should be the best it's ever been.
    "It is every man's obligation to put back into the world at least the equivalent of what he takes out of it. Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value." - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by DeadEye View Post
    Are you serious? I skied with them for several years and I'm certain I was either at, or above, 185. It never came up that I'm aware of. You being a para, your weight shouldn't be a problem. Want me to call them for you? I served on their board for 4-5 years. Let me know, I'll be glad to help because it is an awesome experience and the snow up there should be the best it's ever been.
    Hell yeah give'em a shout! I would really like to give this a shot...thanks

Quote Originally Posted by graybeard View Post
    Hell yeah give'em a shout! I would really like to give this a shot...thanks
    I was hooked after my first lesson four years ago with Michigan Adaptive Sports. I now have my own ski and absolutely love it. If the volunteers where you go are anything like the people at MAS, you'll be in good hands.
    KB