Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Hope lost?

Hey LindaT,
    Saw him the other day and we had a great conversation and some really good laughs! His spirits are great and he is still very determined and continues his journey to recovery. I am very proud to call him my brother due to the will power and determination he has had and continues to have in this difficult task. His attitude towards recovery and others has been nothing short of amazing. I will tell him you guys are pulling for him and thank you all for your help and support.

Glad to hear things moving forward and he is in good spirits.
    Tell him he has friends in MN rooting for him. Check in again.

Great news, God bless...y'all take care!!!

Teena

MrsBrianGore,
    I was very happy to see your post some time ago and want to continue to encourage my brother to work. He has not seen much progress and was just wondering if Brian saw progress right away or if it took some time. I am just looking for ways to encourage him with stories of others. Just want to keep his spirits up knowing that others have made positive steps and let him know that there is still hope for some sort of recovery.

Harberrat,

What is your brother's current level of function / ability? Is he still in Rehab at Kessler?

Obviously Kessler will try to help him maximize his current ability and recover what he can, but it's important to know that he can and likely will make progress -- often out of necessity -- upon being discharged.

For example, I spent two months in rehab at Shepherd in Atlanta, and when discharged, I could only tolerate having my trach cuff deflated and vent volume increased (both of which are required in order to talk) for about an hour a day. But within a week of being home, my trach cuff was deflated and vent volume increased 24/7. Comparatively, it took me every bit of two months to get to where I could tolerate those settings for just an hour a day (granted there were other issues and things I was working on in rehab, like healing a pressure sore and increasing my sitting tolerance to where I could actually sit upright in my chair).

The reason my tolerance for the speech settings increased so quickly over a week was because I needed to talk to train nurses and caregivers. At Shepherd, I knew they knew what they were doing, so I didn't need to talk.

I realize your brother and I are at different functional levels (I'm essentially a C1-2 complete) but I suspect he will make strides after being discharged, as many others have too.

God bless!

- Bill :-)
    Wheelchair users -- even high-level quads... WANNA BOWL?

I'm a C1-2 with a legit 255 high bowling game.

Checkout the below CareCure thread about a new way to bowl!
    http://sci.rutgers.edu/forum/showthread.php?t=87066

Do continue to encourage him, having an SCI doesn't mean you can't do things. As Bill shows, he's an active bowler, does some web work, and will be getting his next degree.

As a C2/3 quad, I run my own business, go to school, talk at schools, volunteer at several areas in church, and volunteer as a camp counselor. He'll get help at Kessler, but needs to remain active as well.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

Hey Bill & Trainman,
    Thanks for the info. My Brother is a C3 complete and is presently living at Cheshire in Florham Park. Very nice are and place. He is continuing therapy three times a week which is less than what he did at Kessler but is what the program at Cheshire. It has been six months since his accident and still experiencing some setbacks. He was just denied an electric wheel chair which I find to be totally crazy. I just want to keep his hopes up because he is not seeing any improvment and now being denied a chair is quite a setback.

Hi harberrat-I am shocked he was denied a power chair. Are there any social workers that are trying to help? That just does not seem right.
    I'm glad to hear he is at a good place and being treated well of course.
    Keep in touch.

That's nuts that he'd be denied. Getting into a chair and doing regular tilt/ recline shifts is by far the very best way to keep his lungs as clear as possible. What possible basis did they use to deny him the only type of chair he can use?

Hey Linda,
    Nice to hear from you. I am never usually surprised by the inadequate support given by the "system". I know it is being pursued further but the sheer idiocy of decisions like this and the dangers they create by a denial like this just astound me sometimes. This puts him at further risk for pressure sores and infection, not withstanding the mental aspect of having to wait what seems a lifetime for something you should have the moment it is available. Simply Crazy!