Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: parenting discipline question

Pick your battles, don;t bother with a power struggle for something that isn;t important. That means thinking before you tell him to do something, is it something that you care enough about to follow up on if he ignores you? But obviously, climbing and the controls of the chair need to be picked!

Does he spend a lot of time with you? if not, just give in on the schedule she wants. If yes, kids will figure out really fast that there are different rules for different places. "At Aunt Baileys, we only eat in the kitchen, take a nap after lunch, etc"

Is there a room you can totally childproof. And maybe keep it boring. If he climbs on the table .... off you guys go to the den. "Sorry, if you don;t stay off the table, we can only play in here" and park yourself so that he can't open the door and escape. (Note .... you are in there too ... not advocating locking him up, lol). Not sure of course how you could get him off the table in the 1st place to go in the other room .....

If coming to your house is a treat, and just a visit. AND you could get his mom to agree ..... climb on the table, and you have to go home. No getting to play at Aunties if that happens. I know this was successful with my kids, when acting up on a play date or at the park. (You hit a friend, throw sand, whatever the issue was, and off we go home). But I am guessing this won;t work unless she goes along with it, or if you are babysitting, not visiting.

Can you physically block off the buttons on your chair? Say keep a pillow in your lap or something?

At a not very verbal 2, I am thinking once he IS talking more, this will be better. Hang in there until then!

Emi2 here has small kids. Maybe she will chime in w. some ideas.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

My grandson is two and loves the stairs also. We can't keep him off them and like you can't block the stairs because of the stair lift. We stopped watching our grandson because he would cry constantly if someone wasn't holding him and it had to be a particular someone. He would get so upset if someone wasn't holding him that he would end up throwing up. We didn't want him to throw up so we ended up carrying him around everywhere. It was exhausting. Now when he comes over his mom and/or dad come over also. They can deal with the stairs and him insisting on constant attention.

Jess let him sit in her wheelchair and now he wants to wheel her chair around for hours. He didn't even want to go out to play with the other kids unless he could take her chair with him. Good thing kids grow up. Next year it will be a different challenge.

Sounds like you are doing a great job.

well, at 2, i would corner my son with my chair and keep him there until he got on my lap. then i would take him to my bedroom (no toys) and make him stay until he calmed down. he learned very quickly to get on my lap when i told him to as he didn't like being cornered.

but i am the mom, not the aunt, so i don't know if this would work. i guess it depends on how much he's around you.

Last edited by cass; 02-07-2010 at 10:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoTWHeeLs View Post
    Gotta show them your serious when they're young. My 5 year old knows when I say something I mean it and also that if a punishment is coming its unavoidable even if I gotta call someone to come over and hand it out. Praise the good stuff 100x+.
    yep.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    well, at 2, i would corner my son with my chair and keep him there until he got on my lap. then i would take him to my bedroom (no toys) and make him stay until he calmed down. he learned very quickly to get on my lap when i told him to as he didn't like being cornered.

but i am the mom, not the aunt, so i don't know if this would work. i guess it depends on how much he's around you.

cass, is this you and your son, nice picture.

yeah, thx, love this picture...only he's 17 now...

btw, that's an accessible playground in a Cerritos, CA park, if anybody is interested. near the Cerritos Center for Performing Arts. i used to live few blocks from there.
    Last edited by cass; 02-08-2010 at 12:06 AM.

very nice pic
    My mouth is like a magician's hat, never know what might come out of it.

yeah, thx, love this picture...only he's 17 now...
    Well, it tells a thousand stories. You've every right to be very proud, but your humble way is telling. Obviously a powerful force. Congrats on your success, I can't imagine doing everything you have. I shall try to be more appreciative and complain less about my lot in life. Thanks for being someone to look up to, wishing you continued success.

Sorry don't mean to derail the thread but I couldn't let this go .... cass ... this pic left me breathless ....... one of those rare moments captured ... priceless ...

Obie
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

hi everyone I'm sorry it's taken me a while to respond. I've had to make a trip to my Dr out of town and didn't bring my computer. I've also been very busy.

I want to thank everyone again for there help. I need to start putting of these things into practice.

My nephews mother is my sister and they both live at home with me and my parents. There really isn't any way to child-proof the whole house because of my wc. I have my way of how i would like raise a child and she has hers. we don't always agree so it's hard to get him to listen when i want all the time when sometimes she agrees and sometimes she doesn't.

I will have to work on him touching my chair buttons.

Liz I'm impressed with you making the kids lay still while changing them!!

thanks again