Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: parenting discipline question

parenting discipline question

Hi I'm not sure if I'm posting in the right section. I would like some ideas as to how some of you parents or those of you who take care of small children, how do you get the kids to listen? How do you get them to sit in time out? I have a little nephew and I have been trying to get him to listen to me when I say no I mean no. I am at a lost since I am not able to pick him up and I'm in a power chair. Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks.

Most times I let them know the negative consequences of their behavior. Tonight is friday night and my daughter and I watch Spongebob together. When she refused to help me clear the table after dinner I said "Okay, you don't have to, but that means you don't get to watch spongebob with me tonight". Unless she is really tired (there is no reasoning with a tired four year old) stuff like that usually works.

Ok well for a 2 year old what are some things I can do?

Can you toddler proof a laundry room or closet? You may have to physically barricade for time out. I was told to get an egg timer, set it for a minute for each year of age. Don't know how to get him there, but just turn your chair around and block him in for a few minutes of time out.

Talk with him. It takes time before children listen and you have to explain he has to do what you are saying. Every time he is listening you can reward him. No reward when he doesn't listen.

Here we often use to give the children a small packet of raisin as a reward or whatever who is not sweet and destroy the teeth. Turkish yogurt sweets are heathty to and is a good reward when they are small. Not the one with nuts inside, small children shouldn't eat nuts. They are just like dogs, you reward them when they do what you say. If the child is like most children, it is working.
    TH 12, 43 years post

Pick your battles. Sometimes engaging by trying to get control will just escalate the problem. Distract a two year old and try to find another way to get them to want to listen. Make everything a game. Two is very young and they are pushing to see what they can get away with. Make sure they have an energy outlet. Remember they mimic everyone around them. All easier said than done.

We had huge issues with time out. We held our daughter in time out cause she wouldn't stay and she would fight the entire time. It never worked for her, but my other daughter no problem with time outs. All kids are different. She would throw huge tantrums, for awhile it was three a day. Sometimes I could see them coming and I would say "Jessica don't go there". I would try to give her words to talk it out. If I caught her in time sometimes I could settle her down. If she lost it, it was too late and nothing could be done. She has grown out of those thank goodness, well mostly. We found that the more we were involved in her tantrum the larger it got and the longer it lasted. We tried to ignore and would have to leave the room cause she would grab at us to get our attention. We would go into other rooms of the house, but she would kick at the door and yell and scream. Sometimes we put her in her bedroom and wouldn't let her out until she calmed down. Some kids can be really hard. Over the years her tantrums changed and were not as frequent. Make sure they get enough sleep and watch when and what they eat.

I hope that helps.

"I'm sorry what's your name?"
    kid answers.
    "the kid I know doesn't act/behave like that. When he/she comes back let me know".
    Turn and go away (unless of course the kid can be in any danger).

Follow through on consequences.
    Sorry, you didn't listen when i called etc and there will be no TV for 10 minutes.

Time out doesn't have to be in a chair/room etc. just stop the activity.

I've "raised" 5 now on # 6 neices/nephews without having to pick them up.

They even learn to stop squirming when it takes 20 minutes to change a diaper
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

thank you for all your suggestions. my little nephew is a climber. he loves to climb up on tables, chairs, couches. i have really no way of getting him off these places. sometimes it might take a sec for an ab to get into the room to get him off. i'd like a way to prevent these things from happening. oh and he loves climbing the stairs to go up. we can't really put gates at the stairs because one stair way has my chair lift which would not be possible and the other is also too complicated.

i try to distract him with different things. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. the problem is i'm not the mother and his mom and i don't always see eye to eye on how he should be corrected or his daily schedule should go. i am not sure what to do. the other thing is my power chair can tilt and recline, he loves to make me go up and down using the buttons on the inside of my armrest.

he does not talk a whole lot either. i have been trying to work with him more. he understands everything though and he mimics everything he sees whether it's in one of his shows or what someone else around him is doing.

i try to make everything a game and give him praise when he is doing something i want him to do.

thanks again everyone!!

Gotta show them your serious when they're young. My 5 year old knows when I say something I mean it and also that if a punishment is coming its unavoidable even if I gotta call someone to come over and hand it out. Praise the good stuff 100x+.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Quote Originally Posted by bailey5774 View Post
    thank you for all your suggestions. my little nephew is a climber. he loves to climb up on tables, chairs, couches. i have really no way of getting him off these places. sometimes it might take a sec for an ab to get into the room to get him off. i'd like a way to prevent these things from happening. oh and he loves climbing the stairs to go up. we can't really put gates at the stairs because one stair way has my chair lift which would not be possible and the other is also too complicated.

i try to distract him with different things. sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. the problem is i'm not the mother and his mom and i don't always see eye to eye on how he should be corrected or his daily schedule should go. i am not sure what to do. the other thing is my power chair can tilt and recline, he loves to make me go up and down using the buttons on the inside of my armrest.

he does not talk a whole lot either. i have been trying to work with him more. he understands everything though and he mimics everything he sees whether it's in one of his shows or what someone else around him is doing.

i try to make everything a game and give him praise when he is doing something i want him to do.

thanks again everyone!!
    Never let them touch the controls of your chair unless you give permission.

Is the mom your sister or sister-in-law.? you'll need to have a discussion w/ her if you're to be the babysitter on parameters.

My latest jumps and climbs too.

"If you fall off the bed and crack your skull I cannot help you. I suggest we do something else before we both get into trouble".....

Think of your day with him as daycare and set up a routine.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.