Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: So tired of disabled parking abusers and not accessible "accessible" parking stalls

Very much abused.

I would have absolutely no problem parking in the spot farthest from the door. I'm certain I can push faster than most can walk. I just don't trust senior citizens driving. So there is no way in hell I am going to push through the whole parking lot & risk my life. Last year we had an incident at the mall an old lady hit a man, killed him & didn't even know it...just kept on driving AND the man was able-bodied. He wasn't sitting in a chair only 3ft tall!
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    Very much abused.

I would have absolutely no problem parking in the spot farthest from the door. I'm certain I can push faster than most can walk. I just don't trust senior citizens driving. So there is no way in hell I am going to push through the whole parking lot & risk my life. Last year we had an incident at the mall an old lady hit a man, killed him & didn't even know it...just kept on driving AND the man was able-bodied. He wasn't sitting in a chair only 3ft tall!
    i think you should worry more about the inexperienced teen drivers.

Quote Originally Posted by cass View Post
    i think you should worry more about the inexperienced teen drivers.
    No way. People always comment that to me on how its the teens. IMO and all my experiences its always the senior citizens. Teenagers have fast reflexes..senior citizens do not.

At my last SCI resource meeting there was a lady that came she was in her 60's and had MS. She came to the meeting to talk about hand controls and driving. She had very limited use in her hands and said she could barely turn her steering wheel anymore and her legs didn't have much strength, but yet she drove to the meeting. She joked about how she knows she shouldn't be on the road anymore. People like that I have zero sympathy for they are just as bad as drunk drivers. She knows she can't drive safe she should have called a friend, taxi, city bus or something. I know that is a common thing for senior citizens. There is soooo many that shouldn't be out on the road. If they can afford to put gas in their car, they can afford to buy a bus ticket.
    Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get.

are you the mom of a teenager? let me guess...no insult intended...you're early 20's at best?

btw, you need only look at the stats.

http://www.rmiia.org/Auto/Teens/Teen...Statistics.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_collision

http://www.resource4accidents.com/topics/death.html

http://www.ntsb.gov/alerts/SA_003.pdf
    Last edited by cass; 02-07-2010 at 12:33 AM.

true about being dangerous for wheelies in the lot. a person in a chair is hard to see especially in big vehicles that are high up. and about the ole ladys driving across the lot instead of in the lanes. terrible driving in walmart lots. terrible. I am a little put off about the comment of people with ms or heart failer not needing hc parking. I can walk, but with extreme pain and fatigue. I have have sci though. If I used a chair getting to where I need to go, it would be less painful. I am talking walking on steak knives or broken glass. bad bad pain. even so, my two friends with ms cannot get around at all without a powerchair and an attendant. not at all. they have every issue of a high complete quad, but with lots of other goodys added to the suffering.

I don't think she is saying they don't need them, just that there are so many of them there is no room left for chair users. You know the ones in the blue picture. I often see someone who can walk taking the hc spot when there are regular spots also very close. I don't think they get the point of the hash marks.

If only they were better marked. Van only, wc, walker, crutches, plain old narrow spots close by with blue signs for the heart patients or hidden dis people, pregnant woman spots and then regular ab spots. (yes I'm being ridiculous but I think you get the point) You'd only need 2 or 3 wc spots. Even when the lot is full I'm usually the only chair user I ever see.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    My only problem is since when did the Heart & Stroke Foundation or other ailments parking in these spots fight for them?

These spots were originally fought for by the vets returning from Vietnam in American by the Paralyzed Vets of America ... as they had come home and were still young and healthy enough to want to return to some semblance of their lives (families, work, school). The first spot appeared in Washington DC in 1972.

Canadians followed suit a couple of years later.

At no time did the MS Society or the Heart & Stroke Foundation or whatever ailment you have you have anything to do with fighting for these spots ... yet they've taken them over.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a van .. lucky to drive a car I guess .. but if you feel like taking up the battle in Canada, at least you know the history now.
    Respectfully, I might add that since my actual handicap is a birth defect, I suppose I have been fighting for a handicapped spot all of my 51 years of life...in my state, one of the legal requirements is that you can't walk for a specific number of yards without stopping to rest. That would be me...

A mall nearby has "expectant Mother parking" and once, when my own Mom was still alive I drove her to the mall, with her handicapped placard, and there were no spots available. We found one of the ones for expectant Mother parking, and parked there, and we both said that if anyone wanted to know if we were pregnant, they would have to be our Doctor...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    Wow.

I guess I'll stop using them, then, since I only have MS, and not a service-related SCI.

The whole not being able to walk and using a wheelchair thing must be completely unrelated.
    All I'm saying is separate spots are needed. We need the space, you need the closesness ... not that you shouldn't have your own needs met.

Also, while I tried to find examples and couldn't - the reason those spots are close to doors is because drivers have trouble seeing people who are sitting down wheeling behind them when they're trying to back out. I've had it happen a couple of times personally when I'm wheeling from the back of a lot.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    All I'm saying is separate spots are needed. We need the space, you need the closesness ... not that you shouldn't have your own needs met.
    I find it really difficult to get my wheelchair out of the car in a regular space, no matter how close it is.

But maybe I'm not trying hard enough.

Sarcasm aside, it's really depressing to read this kind of post. It doesn't matter if able-bodied people don't understand why accommodations are necessary as long as people with different disabilities are sniping at each other about who deserves what the mostest...we're our own worst enemies in that case.

There's strength in solidarity.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    do you know much is the fine for illegal parking in wheelchair zone?
    In Ontario it's actually $5000 ... but good luck finding someone to enforce it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12