Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: So tired of disabled parking abusers and not accessible "accessible" parking stalls

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

So tired of disabled parking abusers and not accessible "accessible" parking stalls

I am not sure if this is the place to get feedbacks on this topic...

I'm so tired of seeing the Able-lers (Walkers, vertical people, non-disabled) stealing the wheelchair stalls! Our society is not educated or been made aware of the importance of these stalls to the people with a physical disabilities.

A few days ago, I went to Safeway near my house to pickup my meds... the only stall that I could use -without having people parking beside me which blocks my ramp- turned into this

http://cheezburger.com/View.aspx?aid=3158664960

... then some lady driving a Lexus cut me off and parked in the only other spot I could park at and came out with her 2 junior high aged kids. I gestured (nicely) to her; she looked at me, turned around and walked away. It took me another 20min to find accessible parking. I was not happy... Safeway said there was nothing they can do, so I called parking enforcement... who knows if they came in time or not.

I am sure we've all experienced this in our lives. I'd love to hear your stories! How do you deal with this? Any regulations/provision in your area (from police/city/government...) to discourage able-lers from stealing wheeler stalls?
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

I've got the city ADA Coordinator and the Planning Department on speed dial (not really, but their numbers are in my cell phone).

It can take weeks, months, maybe years, but if a parking lot is not up to code, I've had some luck getting it changed by being informative (including pictures), persistent and polite.

One thing I've found that happens frequently is that I'll talk to the planning people about a particular lot, they'll pull the drawings (on which everything is hunky-dory and up to code) and tell me there's nothing to fix. It can be a challenge to actually get a city inspector out to verify that the actual parking lot doesn't match the drawings.

Quote Originally Posted by Katja View Post
    I've got the city ADA Coordinator and the Planning Department on speed dial (not really, but their numbers are in my cell phone).

It can take weeks, months, maybe years, but if a parking lot is not up to code, I've had some luck getting it changed by being informative (including pictures), persistent and polite.

One thing I've found that happens frequently is that I'll talk to the planning people about a particular lot, they'll pull the drawings (on which everything is hunky-dory and up to code) and tell me there's nothing to fix. It can be a challenge to actually get a city inspector out to verify that the actual parking lot doesn't match the drawings.
    Katja... thanks for your reply.
    do you know much is the fine for illegal parking in wheelchair zone?
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    Katja... thanks for your reply.
    In the US (and I just noticed you are in Canada, so "ADA Coordinator" is not going to be applicable), it's dependent on the local entity (town, county, etc). In my town I think it's US$250. Some places in the States it's a lot more, in others a lot less.

My only problem is since when did the Heart & Stroke Foundation or other ailments parking in these spots fight for them?

These spots were originally fought for by the vets returning from Vietnam in American by the Paralyzed Vets of America ... as they had come home and were still young and healthy enough to want to return to some semblance of their lives (families, work, school). The first spot appeared in Washington DC in 1972.

Canadians followed suit a couple of years later.

At no time did the MS Society or the Heart & Stroke Foundation or whatever ailment you have you have anything to do with fighting for these spots ... yet they've taken them over.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a van .. lucky to drive a car I guess .. but if you feel like taking up the battle in Canada, at least you know the history now.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

Agreed.....

Quote Originally Posted by lynnifer View Post
    At no time did the MS Society or the Heart & Stroke Foundation or whatever ailment you have you have anything to do with fighting for these spots ... yet they've taken them over.
    Wow.

I guess I'll stop using them, then, since I only have MS, and not a service-related SCI.

The whole not being able to walk and using a wheelchair thing must be completely unrelated.

My only problem is since when did the Heart & Stroke Foundation or other ailments parking in these spots fight for them?

These spots were originally fought for by the vets returning from Vietnam in American by the Paralyzed Vets of America ... as they had come home and were still young and healthy enough to want to return to some semblance of their lives (families, work, school). The first spot appeared in Washington DC in 1972.

Canadians followed suit a couple of years later.

I don't know what I'd do if I had a van .. lucky to drive a car I guess .. but if you feel like taking up the battle in Canada, at least you know the history now.
    Respectfully, I might add that since my actual handicap is a birth defect, I suppose I have been fighting for a handicapped spot all of my 51 years of life...in my state, one of the legal requirements is that you can't walk for a specific number of yards without stopping to rest. That would be me...

A mall nearby has "expectant Mother parking" and once, when my own Mom was still alive I drove her to the mall, with her handicapped placard, and there were no spots available. We found one of the ones for expectant Mother parking, and parked there, and we both said that if anyone wanted to know if we were pregnant, they would have to be our Doctor...LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by ChinaDoll View Post
    In Ontario it's actually $5000 ... but good luck finding someone to enforce it.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12

In Ontario it's actually $5000 ... but good luck finding someone to enforce it.
    Link?
    ______
    Awe at my magnificent coq!

"You may say I'm a dreamer
    but I'm not" - J. Lennon