Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: FILM ideas for SCI?? Some insight from everyone would be nice

You're Right

Quote Originally Posted by Lilli View Post
    "A movie jus showing us as human beings....we work, we drive, we THINK, we enjoy sports, art, eating, poilitics, and we make life still worth living....we are not helpless, not feeble, arent deaf, dont eat lentil soup everyday, and we have an opinion. Dont hide us behind closed doors....." Graybeard has got it right. (Old Foolish Too) Just show us as people. SCI is a huge nuisance but is not what defines us. Show our common humanity and tell a good story. Make the SCI stuff real but incidental.

Lilli, you said it right. We should not be defined by our disability. We do much the same same things as ABs, albeit with some difficulty.

What I want to see areTV commercials featuring PWDs in everyday situations. I could be the guy buying lumber in a Home Depot ad, but I'm not. Why is that? Could it be that there are not sufficient disabled actors? Or is tht we are not considered the "beautiful people"?

When we take our rightful place in mainstream population, perhaps we will not need a movie to showcase us. TV commercials are but a small mechanism in the recognition of PWDs as full citizens. However, it would be an important step in that journey.

Tonight, pay attention to the commercials, painfull as that may be. and see how inclusive we have become. Skin color, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation are no longer barriers, but, having a disability bars one from being included. We do not get a bite of the inclusive apple. And, that should be changed.

End of sermon.
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Ahhhh... I LOOOOVE everyone's ideas and I hope you don't mind that I sent them to the rest of the crew.
    I really apologize for my MIA, but I've been taking a class at LA Film school and have been too drained to type for a while. It has, however, been amazing and has certainly helped with the ideas.
    Unfortunately, it seems like this film may not be an EXACT outcome of my vision, but I will be taking a director and editor position so I will, of course, do all I can to make it so. These students (not from lafs)have their visions too, which is completely fine right now, because I will at least be getting experience to continue making films for us. I have a great idea for a short I'd like to film with lafs and it might actually end up in the bigger film.
    Ah, I'm sorry if this is all rather BLAH, but I've been a workin' hard and I know the final product will be great.

If there are more ideas, please keep them coming. Everything is not all figured out, and they will be truly helpful. I will read them, even if I don't respond right away!

Include different injury levels and the challenges associated with them. A high quad on a vent, such as me, has another aspect on left than a low para that can be completely independent.
    C2/3 quad since February 20, 1985.

I mentioned on one of the other forums that a sitcom about patients in a spinal unit would be awesome. I know from my experience in rehab after my accident I often wandered why we didnt have cameras - it would be compelling viewing. So many characters - so diverse but all connected through the injury.

Home Work assignment

Several days ago I gave a home work assignment--to watch TV for one evening and note how many commercials included PWDs.

I assume you came up with the same numbers as I, zero, nada, zilch. One or more of you may have seen the Milk Bone ad featuring a college student using a wheelchair and an assistant dog. Score one for the gimps.

Getting PWDs into TV commercials will go a along way toward inclusion. The more we're seen doing every day things like buying Cheerios, eating a Big Mac, doing the laundry with Tide, etc., the easier it will be for our inclusion into mainstream life.

Please call one or more of the makers of your favorite products, asking that they feature PWDs in the advertising. Post your findings here, it should be interesting,
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now

Quote Originally Posted by trainman View Post
    Include different injury levels and the challenges associated with them. A high quad on a vent, such as me, has another aspect on left than a low para that can be completely independent.
    I really like that, thank you. It's a very good point.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_Pelican_Fly View Post
    I mentioned on one of the other forums that a sitcom about patients in a spinal unit would be awesome. I know from my experience in rehab after my accident I often wandered why we didnt have cameras - it would be compelling viewing. So many characters - so diverse but all connected through the injury.
    Ahhh, soooo true. I got through the beginning of my injury with pure humor and a funny outlook on almost every situation I had to go through initially.
    In the hospital, I was constantly thinking of things that should 'seriously be ina movie'. I'd imagine those pesky psychiatrists through a fish-eye lense hanging over my bed the moment I open my eyes from sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by wazabiker View Post
    Several days ago I gave a home work assignment--to watch TV for one evening and note how many commercials included PWDs.

I assume you came up with the same numbers as I, zero, nada, zilch. One or more of you may have seen the Milk Bone ad featuring a college student using a wheelchair and an assistant dog. Score one for the gimps.

Getting PWDs into TV commercials will go a along way toward inclusion. The more we're seen doing every day things like buying Cheerios, eating a Big Mac, doing the laundry with Tide, etc., the easier it will be for our inclusion into mainstream life.

Please call one or more of the makers of your favorite products, asking that they feature PWDs in the advertising. Post your findings here, it should be interesting,
    Good point. I JUST saw a commercial with a woman in a wheelchair and I thought that it was awesome and comforting. But yes, I really love your idea.

I've always thought there should be a movie about a quad spy. (Stop laughing!)
    Think about it; we'd make perfect spies. We get to go in the back route of buildings and see what really goes on in restaurant kitchens, freight elevators, and basements. We get to carry all sorts of weird equipment without anyone inspecting it. We get to ask perfect strangers to do things for us, so we don't leave fingerprints. And we're constantly being underestimated; no one ever expects us to be intelligent and aware.

Quote Originally Posted by Soliloquy View Post
    I've always thought there should be a movie about a quad spy. (Stop laughing!)
    Think about it; we'd make perfect spies. We get to go in the back route of buildings and see what really goes on in restaurant kitchens, freight elevators, and basements. We get to carry all sorts of weird equipment without anyone inspecting it. We get to ask perfect strangers to do things for us, so we don't leave fingerprints. And we're constantly being underestimated; no one ever expects us to be intelligent and aware.
    Great post. Unfortunately, so true
    You C.A.N.
    Conquer Adversity Now