Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FILM ideas for SCI?? Some insight from everyone would be nice

Contact

Bonnie Hunt supports SCI Research.
    Nurse, Writer, Director, Producer and Actor.
    She's worked with the biggest names.
    Steve Martin, Robin Williams, Tom Hanks & Tom Cruise twice.

A movie jus showing us as human beings....we work, we drive, we THINK, we enjoy sports, art, eating, poilitics, and we make life still worth living....we are not helpless, not feeble, arent deaf, dont eat lentil soup everyday, and we have an opinion. Dont hide us behind closed doors.....

There was a television program set in Scotland called "The book group" which had a para character . The show covered some relevant ssues.

How about including a comparison between SCI haves and have nots into the storyline? Someone with insurance, friends, family, a good job (that they go back to after rehab), vs. someone without insurance etc. You could choose several different directions, the have becoming a have not, the have not becoming a have, both overcoming obstacles in different ways, or both dealing with setbacks. I wouldn't go a documentary route. Try to have a great story, great character development, and a range of emotions. Have fun with the project!
    Injured 7-22-06, T-11 T-12 complete. [Holds up cardboard sign] "Will work for returns."
    2010 SCINet Clinical Trial Support Squad Member
    Please join me and donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org and copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Kick ass girl, I'm sure it'll turn out great.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by kenzeezy View Post
    SOOO I have been in contact with a few film students who are serious in helping me piece together a film. I'm supposed to come up with ideas, and I've expressed that I want the film to be a rather realistic narrative, mixed in with some form of a documentary. However, there are so many ways this film ca go, and as I've thought about it, I really don't want it to be a straight documentary on my life... nonono. I have not gone through nearly as much as many people living with SCI and would reeeally rather prefer not to showcase just myself.

I am only taking on this project with the intention of making it REALLY GOOD, and I'm really hoping you'll help let me know WHAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO SEE from your general AND SCI perspective.

Please help out and let me know what you think. I would really love to hear ANY ideas or questions you have.

The woman who has helped me get in contact with these students also sees a possibility of getting in touch with James Cameron so I can sway him to our side Let's make the next Avatar yall
    Hi Kenzeeezy,

I am a filmmaker also. Im in the process of trying to put a film together too. I want to highlight what we go through as SCIs, but I want to do it in a subtle way. I would love to see if we could collaborate on a project.

I made 2 films before I became SCI, all about motorcycle racing. I loved filming, interviewing, editing and putting it all together. I loved marketting it and promoting it. In the end I sold enough copies to fund all of my racing costs, alow me to donate some to charity and still turn a little profit.

I have thought about making a disabled film too, but I am not even at the planning stage.

So, I wish you BOTH lots of luck in your respective projects and look forward to seeing what comes out. I know alot of how much hard work is involved and I hope to start my own project one day too....

I made a 3min short film about the sense of lost and overcoming the lost... I filmed, wrote, edited all by myself after my accident and just loved the process. I think making a film about SCI is a great idea and you'll need to somehow make it personal to the walkers that are watching it in order to achieve the bigger goal: public awareness and understanding.

I don't know about you guys, but I think in order to be effective, the worst parts of SCI should be shown in such a way that you ease people (the general public) into it with understanding and explanation, rather than -in your face- kind of approach.

I recently took a cousin to see a play called SPINE and it was highly recommended. IT's a play about SCI and life. They took the -in your face- approach and it was a turn off. -after knowing my disability for 8 years-what my cousin got out of the show is; we pee in a bottle; we happily shit our pants all the time and guys in chairs sexually assaults the caregiver by grabbing their boobs... only had they taken the time to show why we might pee in a bottle, we don't shit our pants all the time and why, we r not happy about having accidents and last of all, what mind set, loneliness and other factors that is SCI related that might cause a guy to do that, relate it somehow back to the general public... the right message might have a chance to come through. This is only my opinion...

Good luck with your films... I look forward to seeing it on the big screen.

CD
    "Always look at the bright side of life...."

"A movie jus showing us as human beings....we work, we drive, we THINK, we enjoy sports, art, eating, poilitics, and we make life still worth living....we are not helpless, not feeble, arent deaf, dont eat lentil soup everyday, and we have an opinion. Dont hide us behind closed doors....." Graybeard has got it right. (Old Foolish Too) Just show us as people. SCI is a huge nuisance but is not what defines us. Show our common humanity and tell a good story. Make the SCI stuff real but incidental.

Quote Originally Posted by kenzeezy View Post
    ...I've expressed that I want the film to be a rather realistic narrative, mixed in with some form of a documentary. However, there are so many ways this film ca go, and as I've thought about it, I really don't want it to be a straight documentary on my life... nonono. I have not gone through nearly as much as many people living with SCI and would reeeally rather prefer not to showcase just myself.
    Have you come up with any ideas yet?

What is the narrative you want to tell? (and is there a bigger goal or purpose in telling this?)

Given that you'd like this to be a form of a documentary, without it being just on your own life/experience, have you come up with a story angle?