Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caregivers hurting their backs

O.M.G.--What a difference an EZ lock makes! Your knees will thank you, your back will thank you and everyone will be happier. Honestly, I couldn't conceive of not having one anymore. We don't travel much anymore, I have a hard time with low hotel beds and not having a trapeze for Jim to help with. And also find it much more difficult(hard on back) to lift and position/turn if not a single bed. As for getting jeans on- I can do it with one turn. Oh, what a talent! My "guns" are something else too, all my ageing peers are quite impressed that I have no upper arm hang.

Quote Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
    I've heard of ez lock, but not really sure what they are or how expensive they are. I assumed that is what people who were SCI drove used.
    The more I learn the less I know.
    Two years ago, we paid $1700 for an EZ Lock system installed in our new Honda Odyssey. Some wheelchairs can be difficult to fit with the device that fastens into the in-floor docking system.

All the best,
    GJ

And I think Permobil has their own design.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    There is absolutely no scientific evidence that back belts help prevent back injury or allow you to lift more ... In fact there are a number of studies showing their use associated with a HIGHER rate of injury because they give the user a false sense of security in lifting excessive weight.

KLD
    SCI-Nurse, Thank you for your informative comment. One reason I joined this forum is to try to learn better ways of handling the caregiving. . . (I am 71, with scoliosis from childhood). I know the caregiving strains my back and hips. I need to roll my husband on the bed to dress him; I use a lift to get him out of the bed and into his wheelchair, but I have to get the straps for the lift sling under him while he is prone; he has no use of his legs and little upper body strength. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Linda have you thought about having a ez lock installed? That way all he would have to do would be pull in the van and it would lock automatically. You then just push a button to release him.
    We have EZ lock on both passenger and driver's side of our 10 yr. old mini van; when my husband still drove, we could switch the one car seat from the driver's to the passenger side, depending on who was driving. Now that he doesn't drive, we just use the passenger side lock. He uses a Permobil. There is an attachment bracket afixed to the bottom of the chair. We just paid $684 to put a bracket on a new chair. A complete EZ lock system would obviously be much more. The wheelchair user needs some "driving skill" to drive the chair straight into the locking system, which at this point my husband doesn't have. So, in our case, I steer my husbands chair into the lock down once he is in the van. From the driver's side, I can see under his chair to do this. We had a strapping system on our old full sized van, and I would recommend the EZ lock, definitely!

All caregivers need to use the knowledge of a licensed Physical Therapist. Not only are there specific stretches and exercises that will strengthen the proper muscles but they will also help develop the proper body mechanics for daily tasks.

Lower back strain is very individual. We cannot use an EZ lock with Ryan's current chair (no clearance). The strapping down of his chair is less than 5 % of the stress on my back. My stress factors are rotation and push/pull with weight. A few visits with a PT gave me the stretches, exercises and most important, a quick spasm fix that has been wonderful. She worked with me in that a $40 per visit copay limited my access. She gave me one set of stretches and exercises and I did not go back until just before their system would kick me out (she let me do the work on my own). I went back and updated the plan a few weeks later and again. AS long as I do the work, the back is happy.

I have gone from not being able to function, let alone sleep for the back spasms to a much more comfortable life. Granted, I have medical insurance to cover therapy but a $40 per visit copy can add up very quickly. The key was a therapist that was more interested in my back than in her billable hours.--eak
    Elizabeth A. Kephart, PHR
    mom/caregiver to Ryan-age 21
    Incomplete C-2 with TBI since 3/09