Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Caregivers hurting their backs

I know this is an old thread, but I know one of the reasons my back is so screwed up is due to getting my son's pants on. Even tho his bed raises up, it's the position I have to be in (bent over at a weird angle) to get the pants on. I did this for 3 straight years, sometimes twice a day. Lifting was never the issue, it's bending over the bed that really gets the lower back. The only thing that helped was stretching my lower back and taking Advil.

I have DDD, spurs, arthritis and Scoliosis which have accelerated since my husband's injury. I only had X-Rays last year and they are not pretty.
    It is currently flaring terribly.
    Even with more aides there are still things I have to do that aggravate and pain it.
    I see the neuro doc in 2 weeks and one of the things he suggested was a cortisone shot which scares me.
    We have good equipment, I do stretching and started a mild work out 3X a week in Oct, but aging and having a large person to care for is no winning situation.
    For some reason strapping him into the van with the come alongs cause the most trouble.
    I waitressed and did hard work for 25 years with no back problems, but I was 25 years younger then!

Linda have you thought about having a ez lock installed? That way all he would have to do would be pull in the van and it would lock automatically. You then just push a button to release him.

Hope other than the normal aches and pains, all else is well.

Being caregiver to a MS husband, I've found that wearing an inexpensive lumbral back support, available through med supply places, helps for tasks that require leaning over the bed.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence that back belts help prevent back injury or allow you to lift more ... In fact there are a number of studies showing their use associated with a HIGHER rate of injury because they give the user a false sense of security in lifting excessive weight.

KLD

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post
    Linda have you thought about having a ez lock installed? That way all he would have to do would be pull in the van and it would lock automatically. You then just push a button to release him.

I've heard of ez lock, but not really sure what they are or how expensive they are. I assumed that is what people who were SCI drove used.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Quote Originally Posted by MSWIFE1 View Post

Chad's doesn't have EZ Lock, I wish we did, but the way our van is configured, he would have to sit sideways to use EZ Lock. That may be the case with Chuck's chair too. I too find that bending over and twisting to buckle him in the van, especially for that front left one, is just the worst for back pain. I keep saying I hope I never get too old or too fat to do this gig!
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

KLD, the othnotist I had got a hernia lifting his 12 pound infant son out of his crib. He always wore a back brace from then on but not for the lifting. He twisted as he lifted and is sure that is what caused the problem. He gave Jay great ways to do things early on to save his back. His first rule was to always be aware of where your back spine are in relation to the floor. Aim for perpendicular and anything requiring a lift motion should not include a twist of more than a few degrees.
    We now have a ceiling track lift and a rather tall king bed. If you need to push someone up the bed and sheer skin problems have never been a problem and legs are not flacid push from the bottom of the bed up using your stomach and hands/arms. Many back problems come from trying to pull a seated in long sitting or side or supine person up the bed. Not everyone wants to be seperated by a hospital bed but this works well for us now. Twenty years ago nothing worked right for either of us too.
    I can relate to the pants problems. I have great sensation so can help with when to pull up more before we start the, hopefully, one roll each way to get them over my butt. Any ideas on helping his back with the rolls? Jeans aren't bad but dressier pants seem to take several rolls.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.

Yes, the pants can be a real bugger on the back. I do it in two rolls 90% of the time. First, I pull his pants up as far as possible while he's laying on his back. Then I roll him on his left side (I stand on his right the whole time, we have a queen side bed) and pull the pants up to his waist on the right side. The pants are then sort of diagonal across his butt, then I lay him flat. Then, I roll him up on his right side (towards me) and grab as far as I possible can under him to the waist band and then yank REALLY quickly and hard. If I do it right, the pants pull all the way up to the waist in one try. If I don't, I have to lay him flat and do the roll him to the right, roll him to the left thing again. Perhaps I should make a video of it because I have a good little system. Of course, I'd have to have him wear underwear for purposes of a video lol.... I should mention here though that Chad is small, only about 140 pounds and 5'7", so its MUCH easier for me to do this than for heavier/taller people.
    Last edited by zillazangel; 07-15-2012 at 11:17 PM.
    Wife of Chad (C4/5 since 1988), mom of a great teenager

I honestly don't remember what we paid for the ez lock, it was included in on the van purchase price so... in other words we paid dearly for it. Davids is mounted on the passenger side of the van so when he sits in the front he can see out and be secure. If he sits in the middle of the van then we use the tie straps, which are a pain in the "arse", especially on a rainy or cold snowy day.