Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica called "Pseudo Innovation"

I can just say that I tried Lyrica, but felt no difference to Neurontin So I switched back to Neurontin.
    One word to Lyrica as "Pseudo innovation"
    For pharma-corporations it is very common to "invent" the pseudo innovations.
    Why?
    They take a medicament whre the patent protection ends, change some molecules and have a "new" medicament where they have the singular license to market and sell.

I understand it wasn't different for you.

But for some people, they can't tolerate neurontin at high enough doses to work for them. So Lyrica (at least in theory) may allow them to get to an effective dose with fewer side effects. I believe that is the case for some people.

I call BS on that study. I maxed out the effective dosage of Neurontin and switched to Lyrica several years ago. Although it's not perfect, it made a huge difference making the pain more manageable.

DoingTime - ditto. Lyrica has been so helpful to me whereas I could not tolerate Neurontin nor did it work as well.. I am glad 'big pharma' has tweaked the molecule to a form that is helping so many people. Good for Eli Lilly !

ditto again, also, as well...you know what I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester80 View Post
    Hi
    in Germany Lyrica was declared as a Pseudo Innovation.
    The union of the health insurance companies (don´t know how it is called in the U.S.)
    investigated the benefit of Lyrica compared to its predecessor (probably neurontin).
    They came to the conclusion that there is no or few benefit.
    It really gets to me how people without a spinal cord injury can claim to know what is going on with people with spinal cord injuries.

If they think it has no benefit, they need to sit in my body someday when the dose is wearing off!

Along with the 3 that just posted, it sure works for me.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

When somebody believes that Lyrica helps him and is better than neurontin that is great
    I didn´t want to offend anybody.
    But in Germany (and I think most european Country) there is a very critical civil society towards pharma corp..

The following article of "The New England Journal of Medicine"
    is backing the german study.

http://content.nejm.org/cgi/content/...ct/361/20/1963

I am sorry Chester, I wasn;t referring to you, but to whomever did the study. I didn;t mean to imply that I was offended. Just frustrated and wondering if the study actually addressed the use of it in the case of SCI.

Thank you for the link.
    Last edited by sjean423; 03-23-2010 at 10:29 PM.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

I wish Lyrica would have helped me. I've been taking gabapentin now for three years and dosage is now up to 800mg three times a day, and still not working well. It has been big in helping me gain weight, something I needed no help with since my activity level went to zilch.

I had problems with major swelling in lower extremities and blurred eye sight with the lyrica. I suppose it's just as well, I could'nt afford it anyway.

I'm in the process of going to a physiatrist to try and get the pain under control. So far, no luck. She's cut back my hydrocodone 10-325 from four to six times a day to twice daily. and put me on a fentanyl patch 25mg. It was changed every three days and changed to every two days. This isn't working. When I called to let them know, the doctor had them call in to the pharmacy voltaren gel. Not impressed. It does'nt work for me. The dosage size isn't even large enough to cover everywhere it burns.

Beginning to think nothing works.........

i am one og the people who lyrica did not help, neuronton definitely did, but it had big side effects and dose was up to 3200 a day. i was put on lyrica, thought it worked but wast sure, whereas if i took neurontn the pain would go away, or if pain was reallyt bad, took a double dose of neuronton and that saved me .i told my pm doc at the time didnbt thinl lyrica was hellping me, but he had his head up the drug and medical eqipment companys ass, or at least in their bank accounts. he wouldt let me get off it.
    i quit it on my own , tapered down over a month. i started having bt pain again and took some old neurontin i had , it worked,
    when i asked my pm doc tp prescribe neurontin again, he wouldn't, and got bent out of shape i took the neurontin, so i moved on to a new pm doc, that lets me tke neurontin.
    the first pm doc was the one that kept installing scs implants d and had the boston scientific rep talk me into a second omne,
    which didn't work .

reality everyones pain can be different, lyrica is off label for sci pain, so was neurontin.
    the one thing that always stood out with neurontin was if i double the dose at a horrendous bt pain bout, it would really work in 45 minutes.
    lyrica tried the same manytimes =no good.
    i have pain from unstable spine and scar tissue, inflammed nerves, one ob bone,since no fusion. so iwould clasiify it as machanical and neuropathic.
    just mt 2 cents. i walk imp pretty gogg
    cauda equina