Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Lyrica called "Pseudo Innovation"

pregabalin saves most of my days and all of my nights, going on 4 years now w/no noticeable side effects and in a dose of 150 usually once, sometimes twice a day

gabapentin erased most of my days in the form of a stupor or many naps for two years at a dose of 1600 to 3200 a day

i'll stick w/lyrica thankyou

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    There is no generic Lyrica (pregabalin) - that patent does not expire until 2013.

There is generic Neurontin (gabapentin) now.

Lyrica is a newer drug than neurontin, similar but not quite the same. You may or may not get the same results switching from pregabalin to gabapentin.
    Then I will have to ask them at Walgreens. I have to go pick up some more Lyrica in a day or two so I will let you all know what they say. Thanks!

Just wondering, is relief of neuropain an off-label use of Lyrica? If so, maybe the critique isn't aimed at that use.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

The labeled uses for Lyrica are:

LYRICA
    is indicated for:

- Neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neuropathy (DPN) (1.1)

- Post herpetic neuralgia (PHN) (1.2)

- Adjunctive therapy for adult patients with partial onset seizures (1.3)

- Fibromyalgia (1.4)

Quote Originally Posted by Foolish Old View Post
    Just wondering, is relief of neuropain an off-label use of Lyrica? If so, maybe the critique isn't aimed at that use.
    FO - that is a good point. Lyrica for spinal cord injury associated neuropathic pain or peripheral nerve injury induced neuropathic pain is off label ! Who know what the OP's reference referred to. I'm not going to try to read it. I wonder if the people in Germany will be able to buy it out of their own pocket. It probably was for the problems outlined by TAM63 in her post above.

Now that I think about it, how did my physician get my drug plan to okay the med if the use is off label? I don't know the answer and am not complaining...

Insurance seems to approve all sorts of off-label use for meds. I found that interesting as well.

The Lyrica was for the radicular pains (especially the sharp stabbing shooters). Doc was able to get the approval after writing to the insurance company, stating trials of Pamelor(nortriptyline), Elavil(amitriptyline) and Neurontin(gabapentin) were not very effective, but Lyrica was. I may go back on the Lyrica again, but at a lesser dose.

Good to know the patent expires in 2013 so it hopefully goes generic. Other than lethargy, I did have the issues also with weight gain, but I'm guessing general inactivity will do that to a person as well!

That is not true at all. When i took it all the pain stopped. It was like a light switch being turned off. I cried when i had to stop taking it, allergic...Another example of able bodied people talking about things they know nothing about.

Speaking of feeling lethargic, I, too, have noticed that feeling, and especially in my arms, hands, and neck. It's almost like my neck is to limp to hold my head up sometimes, and it kind of aches. This is not the sleepy, tired feeling I feel, but something totally different. And I haven't made the increase to three a day yet. Yikes!

Lyrica

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    There is no generic Lyrica (pregabalin) - that patent does not expire until 2013.

There is generic Neurontin (gabapentin) now.

Lyrica is a newer drug than neurontin, similar but not quite the same. You may or may not get the same results switching from pregabalin to gabapentin.
    You are right. It was Ultram that I was thinking of, not Lyrica.