Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lyrica called "Pseudo Innovation"

Lyrica has helped a lot of my patients with neuropathic pain where neurontin did nothing. Neurontin has helped a lot of my patients where lyrica did nothing. IMHO Start with neurontin first as it is cheaper. Learn everything you can about a medication before you start taking it. Find a doctor who explains things to you. Understand their philosophy on prescribing/titrating medications for efficacy and see if you agree with it. By the way, I've had patients on both medications on super low doses that should have absolutely no effect and they have done well.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    I wish Lyrica would have helped me. I've been taking gabapentin now for three years and dosage is now up to 800mg three times a day, and still not working well. It has been big in helping me gain weight, something I needed no help with since my activity level went to zilch.

I had problems with major swelling in lower extremities and blurred eye sight with the lyrica. I suppose it's just as well, I could'nt afford it anyway.

Beginning to think nothing works.........
    Lyrica gave me double vision. Now, having heard how hard it is to get off, and having a change in insurance, and hearing about side effects, I'm glad I stopped that one on Day 3.

Quote Originally Posted by smokymtn memories View Post
    I wish Lyrica would have helped me. I've been taking gabapentin now for three years and dosage is now up to 800mg three times a day, and still not working well. It has been big in helping me gain weight, something I needed no help with since my activity level went to zilch.

I had problems with major swelling in lower extremities and blurred eye sight with the lyrica. I suppose it's just as well, I could'nt afford it anyway.

I'm in the process of going to a physiatrist to try and get the pain under control. So far, no luck. She's cut back my hydrocodone 10-325 from four to six times a day to twice daily. and put me on a fentanyl patch 25mg. It was changed every three days and changed to every two days. This isn't working. When I called to let them know, the doctor had them call in to the pharmacy voltaren gel. Not impressed. It does'nt work for me. The dosage size isn't even large enough to cover everywhere it burns.

Beginning to think nothing works.........
    I'm sorry you're having so much trouble.

I truly hope she figures out something that works. I'm kinda wondering about her cutting down the breakthrough med (hydrocodone) - I might have thought she would have added the patch, and waited to see if you needed less breakthrough meds. Perhaps she had some special reason for doing that. It's not actually a lot more opioid dose I don't think (kinda tired tonite to do calculations correctly for sure, but it doesn't look like a lot more to me).

There is room to try higher dosages, and there are many different medications that could be tried. Hang in there - I think pain management docs make changes sloooowly... and it must seem like forever. Hopefully, she will keep trying until she finds something that works.

I agree Betheny, don't take anything that messes with the eye sight. I took it about a month, and had no trouble stopping, thank goodness! I've read where many have had big problems.

I've had no luck with any time released medications I've tried and have been wondering if that could be part of my problem with the patch.