Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Fell out of bed today

We got one of these for my old lady friend:

http://www.amazon.com/Guardian-Alert...5481446&sr=8-1

No monthly subscription, you just buy the thing. Basically it's a tiny cordless phone that only calls 911, and you communicate through a speaker. You can wear the cord around your neck, or you can clip it on your clothes. You'd have to be able to press the button somehow though. If you press the button, it calls 911, and you talk to them through the speaker on the thing.

There is also one sold with a battery backup.

Sorry Ry, sounds horrid.

I have one of those "I've fallen and I can't get up" buttons and I keep it on my lap when I sleep. Having something like that around my neck would drive me absolutely crazy overnight and I would never be a will to sleep, and even if it was kept around my neck, my good arm was caught up in the bed rail and I had my other arm underneath my head so it wasn't in the water that came off the table next to me. Not to mention I couldn't have grabbed it anyways or press it with my teeth. They just weren't in. I take them out overnight. I have an appointment Monday with my physiatrist at the Mayo clinic out here hopefully to get my rotator cuff fully checked out. Those are the motions I'm missing in my right arm, not being able to lift my arm up in front of me which is made it so I need help eating. I'm hoping I get to go right in a foreign MRI. I'm thinking it's some kind of nerve damage my tenodesis on that arm is really really weak. The doctor in the emergency room was really surprised on how much movement I did have considering my level but then again there isn't a lot of spinal cord injury running through the Mayo clinic out here. Wish me luck guys. If my rotator cuff is shot, I don't know what I'm going to do.I've tried using my left hand but that one is pretty much a solid C-5 with very little tenodesis. It just doesn't work
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Fingers crossed for you - good luck.

Ry, hope it is not rotator cuff.. How is the pain?

The pain isn't significant until I push my elbow in towards my body. Then it kind of hurts but I imagine it could be much worse. I'm just running about an 8/10 when it comes to frustration. It's incredibly hard to do anything and I live alone so to say the least I'm going absolutely crazy whenever I even have to change the channel. I have to sit the head of my bed all the way up and the only way I can do that right now is to bite onto the end of the bed control. I wish I had someone to stay with me but that would work out too well. Maybe in my next life
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Make the best out of today because yesterday is gone and tomorrow may never come. Nobody knows that better than those of us that have almost died from spinal cord injury.

Sorry Ryan. I feel for you. Please know I'm praying for you. Mona

Damn, sounds like a rough morning.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

I imagine you must surely be very bored as well as frustrated. Are you getting enough help with ADL's at home? Glad at least the pain is manageable. Anyone you can call to stick around a bit more with you, or not really? I know, sometimes independence is great, and sometimes...well...I know. Can you do any self stretching, shoulders, neck, etc to help keep things moving a bit while you are stuck in bed?

I go to see a physiatry doctor tomorrow about my shoulder. I think it's getting a little bit better but I'm not quite sure. Hopefully he will order an MRI because it is more or less useless at this point.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ

Saw a doctor today about it. He says there is a possibility that I might have torn something in my rotator cuff but there's nothing really they can do about it. He schedule me for an MRI on it Thursday. Hopefully there won't be any tears and it's just in the nerves. It's really frustrating right now because starting to hurt more and I can't get my arm around my push handle to do solid weight shifts off of my sore. I got up yesterday for the Super Bowl and did weight shifts leaning forward every 10 minutes or so. My sore actually looked better today, well at least shallower, but it is still extremely frustrating not to be able to lift my arm up to the top of my wheel or to be able to get the fork up to my mouth to feed myself. It's a good thing I have a tractable because using a mouse right now would be impossible. I can't to lay flat overnight because I can't move the big intro to the point where I can reach it with my right arm to lower the head all the way. It's so extremely frustrating to have to do everything with two hands and not be able to use one of them when needed. Even changing the channel for me is a burden. I'm going crazy. Hopefully the MRI will bring up some good news.
    C-5/6, 7-9-2000
    Scottsdale, AZ