Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Correct way to carry wheelchair bound person downstairs?

LOL Wheelie Mike Too funny. Before we got our elevator David wanted to go downstairs soo bad. Being in a power chair I knew there was no way. He wanted me to put plywood on the stairs and he was sure he could make it. (we never tried)

I always go down facing forward (down), tipped back of course, so I am really almost facing the sky LOL. Going up it depends on the steps and who is helping.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Quote Originally Posted by woman from Europe View Post
    I have been taught to be backwards down, big wheels first, they always do that here, even in rehab when it is necessary. We learn to do it that way if we are alone too and on esculators.
    We also do it that way but I haven't tried riding up and down the escalators, only elevators. Isn't it dangerous?

When we were at a convention in the city once Bill took it upon himself to go up the escalator by having someone spot him from the back holding his push grips from behind while he held on to each side of the rails allowing the escalator carry him up to the top .... it was a bit scary at first but once in place and he got going was effortless and he got to the top without a hitch.

On the other hand ... we were at a friends house for dinner once and my friends hubby was bumping Bill down their front steps (about 4 cement stairs somewhat steepish) with me spotting in front - he tripped on a piece of sheepskin Bill had hanging down the back of his wheelchair (that we should have pulled up and out of the way ) Our friend never let go of the chair but he came down very hard on his knees in an effort to save Bill from pitching forward ...... it could have been so much worse but we learned some valuable lessons that day !! I felt terrible for our friend and for Bill .... it scared the dickens out of all of us !

Obieone
    ~ Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Mahatma Gandi

" calling all Angels ...... calling all Angels ....walk me through this one .. don't leave me alone .... calling all Angels .... calling all Angels .... we're tryin' and we're hopin' cause we're not sure how ....... this .... goes ..."
    Jane Siberry

I always say, "Carry the chair like a baby stroller". Big wheels on the steps, casters tiltled upward, one at a time.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

A few years ago (right after hurricane Wilma), the power went out in our office building at the end of the day. Then I discovered that the elevator on emergency power was also out (Wilma got it). My coworkers pretty much gave me a choice: go down the stairs or spend the night.

I have an Invacare Action Arrow rear wheel drive power-chair. The anti-tip wheels and small rear drive wheels prevent use of the facing down the stairs method.

So, I went down the stairs backwards without tilting the chair in any direction. You have to remove your footrests first (before you break them off), and you need at least two strong people behind you - down the stairs from you. Using the chair's power you can control the rate of decent as long as someone keeps you from tipping over backwards.

After reaching the ground floor safe and sound with no damage to me or my chair, I swore I'd never do it again. If I had it to do over, I would have waited a few hours for power to be restored, and if it didn't come on, call 911. The fire department knows all kinds of good evacuation techniques.

However, if you have to evacuate a building in a power-chair, backing down the stairs worked for me.

Quote Originally Posted by gurly2356 View Post
    I go up & down the same way..facing down.
    Hell yeah...All the time or just when your feeling a little dirty, lmao. JK...couldn't pass on that one.
    Say what you mean and mean what you say because those who mind dont matter and those who matter dont mind.

My Myspace

Good one! That's a good way of dealing with those anti-tip wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by khmorgan View Post
    A few years ago (right after hurricane Wilma), the power went out in our office building at the end of the day. Then I discovered that the elevator on emergency power was also out (Wilma got it). My coworkers pretty much gave me a choice: go down the stairs or spend the night.

I have an Invacare Action Arrow rear wheel drive power-chair. The anti-tip wheels and small rear drive wheels prevent use of the facing down the stairs method.

So, I went down the stairs backwards without tilting the chair in any direction. You have to remove your footrests first (before you break them off), and you need at least two strong people behind you - down the stairs from you. Using the chair's power you can control the rate of decent as long as someone keeps you from tipping over backwards.

After reaching the ground floor safe and sound with no damage to me or my chair, I swore I'd never do it again. If I had it to do over, I would have waited a few hours for power to be restored, and if it didn't come on, call 911. The fire department knows all kinds of good evacuation techniques.

However, if you have to evacuate a building in a power-chair, backing down the stairs worked for me.