Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: new - looking for understanding

I am sorry for both of you (Prpl and Bem) I am told that often a traumatic brain injury cannot be seen on MRI's.. unless they can see a bleed or some other type of abnormal structure, or catch it on time...

Med - Thanks for the links - and your concerns

Tam - the neuro basically din't feel it was ms because nothing was showing on the mri's to point towards ms. so they are saying cervical myelopathy with chronic neuropathic pain

medications are hydrocodone - lisinopril - vit d -which were all started after symptoms started
    tried lyrica - chambalta - gabapentin - amitriptyline - trazadone and recently Imipramine which all caused nasty side effects

i have not started pt and am not sure when i can have been out of wrk jun 09 then was terminated from my job when fmla ran out in fall - short term disability ended in Dec. and right now $ is tight and are fighting to save our house.

Pain dr wants me to see a pain psychologist also for the neuro pain which this last week has been awful. so i have to decide which one would help more pt or pain psychologist need to figure something out cause i feel like this stuff is driving me crazy
    PrpleHarly08

Was afraid I was losing my mind - So I asked the people behind my couch and they assured me I was still sane

all i can offer is welcome. i am paralyzed due to car accident yrs ago, so have no real info for you, other then you found a great site.

Bemeeaton,

I had a reply all typed out for you however it was lost. Just wanted to say sorry that you also have to deal with these issues and am glad to know that neither one of us is crazy - though at times it sure feels like i'm headed that way especially from the tingling and burning.

They checked me for diabetes fibromyalgia, lupus, rheumatoid arthritis, thyroid and hormones. all came back normal.

diabetes, thyroid issues and osteoarthritis runs in the family.
    My oldest sister had lupus - she passed 6yrs ago complications from pneumonia. She was in a nursing home at age 56 due to mobility problems.
    one sister has fibromyalgia. There are other things that run in the family however nothing that could be connected to this.

Just hoping Dr's figure something out

hope all is well and if dr's come up with anything i will let you know just incase it may be able to help you also

Take Care
    Last edited by prpleharly08; 02-28-2010 at 03:33 AM. Reason: sentence wording
    PrpleHarly08

Was afraid I was losing my mind - So I asked the people behind my couch and they assured me I was still sane

When you have a complicated case, it can be really hard to sort out the cause (causes). When that happens to us, we try to think, for each symptom, of when it started. Then - could it be explained by a medication? Did it start after a procedure?

Just some thoughts I'm having - the timing of the symptoms could make some of these incorrect, of course.

The itchiness could possibly be from the hydrocodone - opioids make some people itch. Sometimes a different opioid causes less itching - it varies by person.

Lisinopril could cause dizziness/wobbliness somewhat.

However, I'm having a hard time possibly explaining much of your symptoms with meds side effects.

I am uncomfortable that no one seems to be able to find an explanation for your mental symptoms. If you've taken hydrocodone for a while, that would seem unlikely. The only other thing I can think of is if the lisinopril is dropping your BP too low, and you're getting confused - is that possible?

The reasons for physical therapy are obvious. Did your pain doc say why he/she wanted you to see a pain psychologist? I'm sure a pain psychologist can be helpful, with coping with your symptoms in general. I'd imagine both might be a good idea, but if you have to pick one, perhaps ask your pain doc to help you with that decision.

Prpleharly, my spine is a mess too due to DDD. My sci was caused by a calcium deposit that broke, resulting in a bone spur splintering off and damaging my cord. I also have possible MS...had an ugly little brain stem lesion six months prior to the SCI. Anyway, I'm glad you found the site...sorry you need it...but there are some nice folks here who will be willing to listen and help you brainstorm about possible ways to make life better. I take Gabapentin to help with neuropain....had bad side effects the first few months, but gradually adjusted to it and have less brain fog now due to the Gaba. Good luck!
    "The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off." -Gloria Steinem

Tam,

Thanks for your concern and help. hope all is going well with you. Been checking out your recipes in the food forum - they look really good - lucky for you we're not neighbors or else I would find myself at your doorstep especially around dinner time. - you would have to come out and or my husband would have to put in one of those invisible fences that shocks you if you cross it

I'm not sure on the med side effects cause either i had the symptoms before the meds or I was taking the meds for sometime before the new symptoms popped up. so i'm just not sure on this - I guess you just don't realize how much the spinal cord contols things until things start going wrong. not much other Dr's can do - so I'm now in pain management and am seeing the psychologist (which is in the same offices as the PM) to try to deal with things. They both seem to be pretty decent and listen -compared to some I've seen.

Cass Thanks for the welcome sorry to hear about your accident and hope this finds things going well for you.

Danine - Thanks for the welcome - How are you doing? Sorry to hear about your spine being messed up - I'm not sure about the MS stuff - some of the Dr's were questioning MS but no lesions are showing up on mri's so neurologist is saying not MS but cervical myelopathy which can produce MS type symptoms. Hope you receive good results regarding your possible MS.

I peeked at your pictures (I also like photography) & They are really nice - like the black and white ones - I like them all - but sometimes black and white pictures are pretty cool.

Before all this started I used to take my grandson (I used to watch him evenings after work) around town with me to take some pictures however now I don't want to drive with him in the truck - So when he can my husband will take me out and about to take photo's - now with the warmer weather and if I would be having a good day I hope () to be able to ride on the Harley with him to get some picture taking sites in.

Well Thanks again all - really like the site - sometimes just shy about jumping in the waters.
    PrpleHarly08

Quote Originally Posted by TAM63 View Post
    When you have a complicated case, it can be really hard to sort out the cause (causes).
    I have found this to be true with even the simplest of cases - when dealing with sci.
    Please donate a dollar a day at http://justadollarplease.org.
    Copy and paste this message to the bottom of your signature.

Thanks!

Your not alone, my situation is a lot like yours. Shoot me an e-mail if you like. In the mean time check out these web sites:

I have found 2 very useful websites, search them well:
    http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/1149070-overview

http://www.neuropathy.org/site/PageS...me=About_Facts (this is where I found out about neuropathy and that I wasn't crazy after all, just keep browsing this web site)

Quote Originally Posted by prpleharly08 View Post
    Tam,

Thanks for your concern and help. hope all is going well with you. Been checking out your recipes in the food forum - they look really good - lucky for you we're not neighbors or else I would find myself at your doorstep especially around dinner time. - you would have to come out and or my husband would have to put in one of those invisible fences that shocks you if you cross it

I'm not sure on the med side effects cause either i had the symptoms before the meds or I was taking the meds for sometime before the new symptoms popped up. so i'm just not sure on this - I guess you just don't realize how much the spinal cord contols things until things start going wrong. not much other Dr's can do - so I'm now in pain management and am seeing the psychologist (which is in the same offices as the PM) to try to deal with things. They both seem to be pretty decent and listen -compared to some I've seen.
    You're welcome. I wish you did live nearby - I'd love a friendly neighbor who likes to eat. I love to cook, and am often looking for "victims" to inflict the food on

It doesn't really sound that much like meds side effects to me. But it's always something to consider. I strongly suspect they're right re. the pain coming from the spinal cord. And probably some of the other sensations. Just trying to think of anything else that could cause the mental stuff, balance stuff, etc.

Re. having had an EMG - if you did, I think you'd probably know it. They wire you up, needles stuck into your arms and legs. Does that sound like the test you have?

I also wonder - have you ever had an endocrine workup? Have they checked your thyroid etc. - all sorts of things can go wrong with low thyroid. Or low cortisol.

Also, some vitamin deficiencies can cause a lot of problems - vit D and vit B12 come to mind. They could check that, to be sure.

I really hope you feel better - I am glad your current docs and least seem nice, and listen.