Thread: Aiport security

Aiport security

Just want to let you know that the TSA makes sure that those of us who are in chairs and unable to go through the metal detectors are screened very well. Full pat down from head to toe, explosive testing on shoes, leg bags, chair pads, and hands. I think they are on to us .

I know that this is for our safety, etc. Why are AB's allowed to continue as pleased w/o having their bags or body parts tested w/ the "stridex pads". Just because they don't beep, doesn't mean they don't have something in their underwear.

US Airways staff was great. I applaud them-TSA on the other hand... It is going to be awhile before I fly again.
    Last edited by momo3; 02-03-2010 at 01:27 PM. Reason: spelling error

I've flown several times post 9/11. The general experience of air transportation has steadily deteriorated until I now prefer driving to flying when the drive is less than ten hours. But my experiences with TSA have generally been positive, polite and well within the bounds of what is reasonable. There have been a very few notable exceptions where the interaction led me to conclude that the particular TSA screener was unsuited to working with the public.
    Quote Originally Posted by momo3 View Post
    Just want to let you know that the TSA makes sure that those of us who are in chairs and unable to go through the metal detectors are screened very well. Full pat down from head to toe, explosive testing on shoes, leg bags, chair pads, and hands. I think they are on to us .

I know that this is for our safety, etc. Why are AB's allowed to continue as pleased w/o having their bags or body parts tested w/ the "stridex pads". Just because they don't beep, doesn't mean they don't have something in their underwear.

US Airways staff was great. I applaud them-TSA on the other hand... It is going to be awhile before I fly again.
    Foolish

"We have met the enemy and he is us."-POGO.

"I have great faith in fools; self-confidence my friends call it."~Edgar Allan Poe

"Dream big, you might never wake up!"- Snoop Dogg

My TSA experience has always been positive, as they've been consistently polite and respectful, as well as very helpful in assisting me with shoes etc., if necessary to remove them. I've never had problems or delays going through security, getting processed as fast, if not faster, than most in line.

To ensure things go as quickly as possible, it's best to have things packed well and ready to put into boxes, including any loose articles of clothing and purses, etc. Less fumbling with items (by you and staff) leads to more efficiency and faster processing.

We did that. My family put everything they needed to in the proper bins and walked through the metal detector. I had to stay in an enclosed "glass" room until a female TSA agent could be found. She then proceeded to give me a full pat-down from my hair to my feet. I was not wanded at all. They then used the "stridex pads" to check my shoes, hands, leg bag and both sides of my cushion. Never once was I asked to push up so they could get underneath. Minneapolis even used a mirror so they could see underneath my chair. My family waited for me both times. Why aren't others who can walk through the metal detector put through this? Shouldn't all passengers be screened for explosives? I guess I look too much like trouble or something.

My only problem was them trying to rush me through. They kept insisting I come with them and I didn't want to leave my kids in line. I wouldn't go until my kids had collected their things from the boxes and came with me. They were very impatient about this.
    The whole I'm now going to use the backside of my hand to feel under your breast is always creepy and I resent not being able to walk through a detector, but I suppose that is life now.
    If you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best.

Sometimes it is easier to widen doors than it is to open minds.

A few yrs ago at lauderdale I forget which airport a security man asked me to go thru the whole schpiel metal detector thing
    Sitting in my wheelchair Duh so they pat me down and find my leg bag ful of liquid
    They asked me what was in this bag I said flip the lever and check it out for yourself
    I told them Iam unable to bend over right now but please flip the lever They did and pee went on their shoes !
    I kept a straight face They rolled me to the front of the line and left me alone as I laughed my ass off afterwards .

All because of some crap about not being able to carry so many ounces of liquid on board
    Yea Right !!!!! So
    I showed them a dr letter and they felt embaressed and said sorry Maam

It was embaressing but hilarious when I think of how dumb they are about pissing off people .

So much for my frequent flyer miles
    Gypsylady

Yah I was surprised when flying down to LAX from SFO they really searched me well. The guy was touching my leg bag and it made me feel violated inside haha. He was like what is this? I was like I told you before you lifted up my pants I had a leg bag on you a hole (didn't really say a hole). I guess he didn't understand what that meant. I told him I'd be glad to empty the liquids though. GET SUM!
    Injured:10-16-04
    C7/C8, T1 incomplete;

For stalkers convenience:
    Blog:
    http://www.ordealsonwheels.com/
    Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/#!/coryssanchez
    Progress:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/b290/swooty/
    My drawings:
    http://kanvases.com/sites/corysanchez/home

I fly to Puerto Rico every three months, and have been really pleased with TSA for the most part. I very much appreciate them not only asking if there are any sensitive spots before they get started with the pat down, but that they do an excellent job of being gentle when searching the areas I've identified.

I noticed during last week's trip that there are new tests in place as a response to the Fruit of the Boom bomb attempt last Christmas: scanning my Kindle and nebulizer separately, and swabbing my Belly Bag.

The treatment of the Belly Bag is totally different at the two airports. In St. Croix, all they do is ask me what it is when they feel it during pat down, but in Puerto Rico they take me to a private room so they can take a look and swab it. I really don't like having to announce there's a big bag o' pee strapped to me while sitting next to the table where the walkies collect their belongings, put belts and shoes back on, etc.

It concerns me that TSA has never asked to see my medical device reg card for my implanted pump, and the one time I did give it them without being asked, they were clueless about what it was/why they'd want to see it.

And a pet peeve? Being asked if I can walk 3-4 feet after indicating that I need the hand search. If I could walk, numnuts, don't you think I'd just walk through the scanner instead of getting felt up in a busy airport?
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

I am glad I am not the only troublemaker in the group LOL. I agree Hip with the walking part. It wasn't just me that got the full "special treatment". There was a girl with Down's Syndrome ahead of me. Poor thing. Her parents said it was really bad at Phoenix. My point is that if this added security is because of the Xmas day dummie then why aren't others having to go through it. He wasn't in a chair. Oh well, at least I didn't yell "Hi, Jack!".