Thread: Scuba Injury

Scuba Injury

I am wondering if anyone has a SCI as a result of a diving accident who could inform us about your recovery. Wise Young says that the ASIA scale is not as applicable to this type of injury as the recovery from it will be less predictable. My brother is a T2 now and came into the hospitol last month as a C6...much improvement since then and we are finding it to be difficult to find any information in recent similar cases to his and the best possible treatment options for him. Does anyone have any advice/stories/comments?

Thank you so much!

I agree with Dr. Young that it is less predictable since it is a vascular event instead of a normal traumatic injury to the spinal cord. Having said that it is my belief that his treatment isn't (or shouldn't be) any different than any other spinal cord injury, which means a good rehabilitation hospital specializing in SCI. With all Spinal damage there is a window of recovery, as long as two years, so for now the focus should be on best care to prevent complications and then good rehab. Wishing you all the best.

Deniset....when he had his incident, was he immediately administered O2? If not, how long until he had O2? This makes a HUGE difference in embolism-related recoveries. My husband is a rescue diver and we both are trained thru Divers Alert Network as oxygen providers in embolism and drowning/near drowning rescue. He may also want to check with his dive certification organization (NAUI, PADI, etc) and may have resources there (trained dive physicians who deal with this on a regular basis). God bless you both and I hope he has alot more return in the near future.

what hospital is he in,,

on the east coast university of Pennsylvania, they had a large hyperberic department and doc that specilize in decompression sickness.
    i was frequent customer.
    there chamber is big enough for dive nurse to go down with you so they can work on you while you are at deapt' it is along process. usually minimum of 8 hours.
    been there too many times
    cauda equina

I know of a few members, one now passed, that have injuries due to diving. Hyperbaric oxygen is often used up to a few years past and helps. I'd check out the U of PA and ask for local referrels if there are any. Try searching Google Scholar or Medline for more info.
    Courage doesn't always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, "I will try again tomorrow."

Disclaimer: Answers, suggestions, and/or comments do not constitute medical advice expressed or implied and are based solely on my experiences as a SCI patient. Please consult your attending physician for medical advise and treatment. In the event of a medical emergency please call 911.