Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Converting bike wheels to handcycle wheels

Question Converting bike wheels to handcycle wheels

Since standard bicycle wheels are much cheaper than handcycle wheels, is it possible to convert a front bicycle wheel to a rear handcycle wheel?

Has anyone done it yet?

Hmmmm interesting
    I thought of trying that on my old beater chair

Would be nice
    Maybe i'll go check into this further n let ya kno
    Thank you
    Sincerely ;
    Gypsylady

It's just a matter of ensuring the bearng hole size is the same as the axle you are planning to use.

I don't think bike wheels are that much cheaper than handcycle wheels. probably just from the manufactuer.

It's easy to buy Phil Wood hubs and have a bike shop build a set for you. They may have the PW hubs there in the shop.

I would go into my local bike shop and ask; they'd be the guys that would know one way or the other.

don't use the black rubber tires on regular bikes, boy i did that once, had black marks all over my house, changed back to wheelchair tires quick
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by brucec View Post
    don't use the black rubber tires on regular bikes, boy i did that once, had black marks all over my house, changed back to wheelchair tires quick
    You ride your handcycle around the inside of your house?
    "Life is about how you
    respond to not only the
    challenges you're dealt but
    the challenges you seek...If
    you have no goals, no
    mountains to climb, your
    soul dies".~Liz Fordred

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    You don't?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Leatherbee View Post
    sorry, my fault, thought they were talking about wheelchairs
    We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
    Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Madsen View Post
    It's just a matter of ensuring the bearng hole size is the same as the axle you are planning to use.

I don't think bike wheels are that much cheaper than handcycle wheels. probably just from the manufactuer.

It's easy to buy Phil Wood hubs and have a bike shop build a set for you. They may have the PW hubs there in the shop.
    You´re right! The price for a NEW ZIPP or CORIMA wheel at an online shop is the same for a bike or handcyle wheel. But there are many more bike wheel manufacturers that don´t make specific handcycle wheels. And bike wheels are much more easier to find at ebay and local bike shops.

And if I have to buy a bike wheel, disassemble it, buy a Phil Wood hub and reassemble the wheel, I´ll probably spend more money then if I buy a wheel originally built for handcycles :-(

It would be best if we could find a way of replacing only the original hub axle with a threaded axle to fit the handcycle. Maybe I´ll try it someday...

But since I´m really into handcycling, I spent my last few bucks buying Corima Aero handcycle wheels. I will post some pictures later.

Blog Entries
    PW hubs are outta my league. As are Corimas and all the other really nice wheels. What I have a hard time finding, is a GOOD hub, threaded, for the rear wheels. If I could find THAT, I'd be happy. Then I could lace some nice rims for myself. Found years ago that rims and spokes can be had way cheaper on ebay. Never could find rear hubs tho. The front rim on my xltpro, I made after the original failed in the first couple of months, it arrived warped.
    Now I ride an intrepid, it's what I can afford, and the rims are 700's, easy enough to find, except for the rear hubs again, lol.
    Oh, to be able to afford an FRH-1... my DREAMcycle.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-01-2010 at 10:45 PM. Reason: I didn't, just messing wit y0r hEd...pun intended