Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Converting bike wheels to handcycle wheels

Capn - Do you still have a lathe? Start turning your own hubs .

Blog Entries
    Can eWE say Rotary Dividing Table. Haha, oddly enough, this and a tubing bender are the two tools I lack. I guess that is my excuse for procrastinating. But if I were to go that route, I'd have to break down and design a one piece hub incorporating a locking mechanism built-in. Shhh...be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting patents.... lol

It's just a 9x20, nothing fancy. WISH ihad (as opposed to ipod) a cnc mill and lathe. Had looked into doing it myself off and on over the years...who knows, may do it sonner or later. But I've been threatening to make a hc frame since shortly after I bought my xltpro in Nov 03...

ya now, looking at the hubs on my intrepid beside of me, they ARE pretty simple, no frills units. Probably put one out pretty accurately if ya made a dividing plate to work with.
    Last edited by CapnGimp; 03-02-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: FORSALE- annoying rectangle that bugs the heck outta me, askin'-WHY are ya editing YOUR post? what IS the purpose of this?

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    Can eWE say Rotary Dividing Table. Haha, oddly enough, this and a tubing bender are the two tools I lack. I guess that is my excuse for procrastinating. But if I were to go that route, I'd have to break down and design a one piece hub incorporating a locking mechanism built-in. Shhh...be vewy, vewy quiet, I'm hunting patents.... lol

It's just a 9x20, nothing fancy. WISH ihad (as opposed to ipod) a cnc mill and lathe. Had looked into doing it myself off and on over the years...who knows, may do it sonner or later. But I've been threatening to make a hc frame since shortly after I bought my xltpro in Nov 03...

ya now, looking at the hubs on my intrepid beside of me, they ARE pretty simple, no frills units. Probably put one out pretty accurately if ya made a dividing plate to work with.
    Yeah, with the correct tools it wouldn't be too difficult. I've thought about building a frame for years (just for fun), but never had the cash, at the right time, for the tools. For Christmas my wife gave me an oxygen/acetylene torch for welding aluminum, and I already have a drill press, so all I need is a lathe and tubing bender, oh, and the TIME !!!!

Blog Entries
    http://tinyurl.com/yl2jtlw
    this is what I have

Hi Capn,

Are the Intrepid´s hubs any good? Why not build a new wheel with them?

BTW, I almost got a complete Zipp 404 handcycle wheelset for U$ 500 @ ebay, but the seller decided not to sell it anymore :-(

Quote Originally Posted by CapnGimp View Post
    PW hubs are outta my league. As are Corimas and all the other really nice wheels. What I have a hard time finding, is a GOOD hub, threaded, for the rear wheels. If I could find THAT, I'd be happy. Then I could lace some nice rims for myself. Found years ago that rims and spokes can be had way cheaper on ebay. Never could find rear hubs tho. The front rim on my xltpro, I made after the original failed in the first couple of months, it arrived warped.
    Now I ride an intrepid, it's what I can afford, and the rims are 700's, easy enough to find, except for the rear hubs again, lol.
    Oh, to be able to afford an FRH-1... my DREAMcycle.
    What is the base price on it? No prices on the site...

wheelbuilder.com sells them for $ 190 (pair).

http://www.wheelbuilder.com/store/ph...r-hubsets.html