Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: What do others use to help them sleep??

Becky,
    Have you had a sleep study done? Maybe you're waking up bc you're not breathing well or your heart-rate is dropping....If that's the case, then the medications you're looking at aren't going to work, but a cpap machine or something for your heart might...I'd look into going to a sleep center & having a complete sleep study done...that may be the most beneficial thing you can do to help figure out what's keeping you from sleeping well...besides pain...I can dig up the link to the licensing board, which has a link to all the centers nationwide if you want me to...just let me know
    'Chelle
    L-1 inc 11/24/03

"My Give-a-Damn's Busted"......

Thumbs up Sweet Dreams

I to had a problem sleeping, with a C6-7 injury I would only sleep a few hours then lay awake. Now I drink a cup of (a mint flavored) chamomile tea, and take 1mg of melatonin by Natrol. The tea helps me go to sleep, and the melatonin helps me stay asleep through the night. With 1mg tablets you can adjust the dosage from 1mg through 3mg to find the right dosage per individual, it my take a few nights for your body to adjust to it. If I want to have a longer nights sleep I take 2mg. It may take a little planning, but you can sleep without feeling groggy.

Dr, Laurence Johnston wrote a good article on quads not sleeping because of not making any natural melatonin hormone when asleep.
    www.healingtherapies.info/PinealGland2.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon View Post
    I to had a problem sleeping, with a C6-7 injury I would only sleep a few hours then lay awake. Now I drink a cup of (a mint flavored) chamomile tea, and take 1mg of melatonin by Natrol. The tea helps me go to sleep, and the melatonin helps me stay asleep through the night. With 1mg tablets you can adjust the dosage from 1mg through 3mg to find the right dosage per individual, it my take a few nights for your body to adjust to it. If I want to have a longer nights sleep I take 2mg. It may take a little planning, but you can sleep without feeling groggy.

Dr, Laurence Johnston wrote a good article on quads not sleeping because of not making any natural melatonin hormone when asleep.
    www.healingtherapies.info/PinealGland2.htm
    that is a good article. is melatonin otc?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    Thanks for all the suggestions everyone!!! I still haven't found anything that is super helpful.... and legal . I just received a script for Trazodone. Hopefully sleep will happen soon .

Becky
    Becky,

How are you doing? Any nasty side effects so far? You're free to write me. I've experienced some crappy initial reactions to antidepressants and I know it can make you feel like shit and make unable to sleep naturally and make you more depressed as a result, but don't think it's permanent or give up hope on all. Every person is different and there's a shitload of them for that reason.

What is the Difference between sedative-hypnotics and Benzodiazepines.

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Français View Post
    While frowned upon, Benzodiazepines work wonders, especially if used with a sleeping aid like Lunesta. Using Benzos isn't for everyone. Many develop strong addictions that have them chasing highs on them. I've never had that problem because if you're chasing highs on Xanax, for me, you're sleeping during that high. I've been on the same regime with Xanax for over three years now. But if you can avoid using them, do so. I also suffer from Panic Disorder, so maybe using Lunesta alone will help you greatly, and it has less addictive effects on the body than Ambien.
    I know that these are two different classes of Medications; at least I think they are. Also both slow down brain activity. But what are the major differences. Is one more addictive than the other? Trying to do some research about sleep meds because I don’t really want to go through many meds. I don’t like the idea of putting this stuff in my body. Sleeplessness prolonged can drive you to the edge if you know what I am saying.