Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do others use to help them sleep??

I have chronic insomnia and have had it for years. I take 2 3mg. Lunesta each night with a Wal-Mart brand OTC. You do have a bad taste the next day from the Lunesta but with time that will start to decrease. I have found I would much rather have sleep with a slight bad taste the next day then to have no sleep with no bad taste. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to have insomnia and feel like you can't get any help.

This is a good question, Becky and a worthwhile discussion for everyone. Here is my experience now 8 years out from injury. I find that if I am having very active neuropathic pain, either burning or electric shocks, it will worsen when I shut off the lights and it is just me and this neuropathic pain in the dark. On those nights, I will take 5mg of Ambien and in 15 minutes I will fall asleep. I was worried that I would get hooked on Ambien or have to increase my dose but that has not been my experience fortunately.

For me, narcotics wires me up somewhat and I really can't take an oxycodone too close to bedtime or I will have difficulty falling asleep. I don't know if this may apply to you.

Like AlexAgain stated, hard exercise and the subsequent fatigue helps me fall asleep and I won't need to take any ambien.

I agree with the stopping of TV, drinking warm milk, and letting yourself take a break from your problems since they will be there in the morning.

The tough problem is trying to go to sleep when you are in pain, it is hard to do. I try to tell my AB friends that it would be like trying to go to sleep while someone every 60 seconds put your big toe in the electric socket for 3 seconds. Or held a burning frying pan against your butt and said "have a good night sleep" ! In those circumstances, I will reach for an Ambien.

I hope this helps.

arndog

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Becky-

I have occasionally had that happen to me, so I can not imagine what it would be like to have it happen a lot. I was merely trying to give you some alternatives to medications.... you might want to try the good old benzo- Restoril. It worked well years ago and still does. You can repeat it if the lower dose doesn't work. Like all benzo's, it can become addicting, but if you use it when you need it, it shouldn't be a problem.

CKF
    CFK
    I realize you were just giving options . Thank you for them and i will keep trying them but i also cant keep trying them in vain you know!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Well these have done me good and they slightly knock me out all night for a good 7-8hr sleep, and its 5mg of MELATONIN its all natural and will not harm you. The other is a tea from walmart called SLEEPYTIME or TENSION TAMER, put in like 2bags and it will help you sleep good.

Let me know how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by madmaddmother View Post
    serquel...dr. said it was a baby dose...25 mgs...side effect of the drug is sleep, it worked after all others failed...I understand the trick is after taking any sleep aid is to settle into bed and concentrate on sleep...lights out, tv off, no computer, etc...there is a window of 20 minutes or so...least that was what we were told...it has worked and sometimes not worked...sigh...but usually does work 9 out of 10 nights...

Hope you find something that will help you...
    within a half hour of taking that, I was having a grand mall. it was tried again months later, with no seisurs before or after that one dose. same result. I was not allowed to drive for a long time because of that. I totaly would not try that drug if I were anybody.

Bad Advice...but it works

I suffered SCI over 30 years ago. Ever since I've had trouble "falling" asleep. Most times when I go to sleep I stay asleep for at least 7 hours.

When I was in rehab,for more than 8 months, they gave me Chloral Hydrate as needed. It worked well(put me to sleep) but is not indicated with my current drug regimen.I have tried every other 'scrip and they all have problems Halcyon was the worst.I could't remember what I said 4 minutes after I said it. Tryptophan made me sleep "all day".

This is "my solution". I'm not recommending it to anyone else, except in emergencies. At 10PM to 11PM I have a beer. That lasts almost an hour. Then another.I continue this for 4 to five beers(3 to 4 glasses of wine works also but at times gives me indigestion). After the third I take 1/3 to 1/2 Tylenol PM(or generic ).

Total time 2-3 hours. I usually "surf the 'net" during this time. This is not "high quality sleep". Every 7 to 10 days you'll have to sleep the "non-induced" sleep.
    I try to put that off to the weekend.

"Do not try this at home". This is just a FYI or "heads up".
    Last edited by wheels09; 02-04-2010 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arndog View Post
    I try to tell my AB friends that it would be like trying to go to sleep while someone every 60 seconds put your big toe in the electric socket for 3 seconds. Or held a burning frying pan against your butt and said "have a good night sleep" !
    I know what you mean arndog, toe in the electrical socket and the frying pan on the ass is not conducive to sleeping. You save stuff like that for sex night

Alcohol.

Quote Originally Posted by tngirl View Post
    I have chronic insomnia and have had it for years. I take 2 3mg. Lunesta each night with a Wal-Mart brand OTC. You do have a bad taste the next day from the Lunesta but with time that will start to decrease. I have found I would much rather have sleep with a slight bad taste the next day then to have no sleep with no bad taste. Good luck! I know how frustrating it is to have insomnia and feel like you can't get any help.
    I love Lunesta. When I took it, I didn't experience any bad taste, though, I know it's a common side effect.

Recently my husband was given Kivanaise (I hope that's the correct spelling) by his dr. It's all natural (to which I originally rolled by eyes) but it truly has been helping him sleep. It's worth a shot.