Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: What do others use to help them sleep??

maybe try just a half dose of serequil? (sp)

Nyquil.

There's an herbal tea that helps too.
    Get involved in politics as if your life depended on it, because it does. -- Justin Dart

I shall not tolerate ignorance or hate speech on this site.

Isn't Seroquel an antipsychotic? Do they prescribe that to people solely for sleeping?

Quote Originally Posted by bcsimpsons View Post
    thanks HC. Ive tried taking ambien recently and it made me psychotic so sleep definately does not happen for me with that drug. I was very aggrivated since i had heard it was pretty effective .

Thanks for the input!

Becky
    Becky; If you are looking for an inexpensive "quick fix" that will not wipe you out, try taking a simple genaric Antihistamine. Last Winter whilst I was in the midst of my Transverse Myelitis episode, I took Ambien and its genaric, the genaric worked for a week, then because Ambien is a controlled substance, I went through the approval process for insurance purposes, at least BC/BS make you try the genaric before approval of the real stuff. Since most sleep agents contain nothing more than Antihistamine, regular over the counter works for me; if I am in a great amount of discomfort I take two capsules. Try it before you go for the hard stuff, Ambien is not good for you long term..

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Le Type Fran├žais View Post
    Isn't Seroquel an antipsychotic? Do they prescribe that to people solely for sleeping?
    I use seroquel for sleeping. It is the only thing that works. Trouble is, in the morning you can have a terrible "hangover" that lasts for hours. It is an anti-psychotic drug, but the VA uses drugs off label all of the time, and I get all my drugs for free at the VA so I use what they give me.

As you already know, it is not uncommon at all to get a drug that has been developed for one thing and then has as a side effect or something that can be useful to someone else. It won't make you instantly psychotic if you stop the drug. It is not implying that you re psychotic if you use the drug. It just has the most wonderful sleeping benefit. I get 7 hours solid sleep on this stuff.
    Anything worth doing, is worth doing to excess

Melatonin is a natural sleep aid that has helped a lot of people I know, some were formerly using Ambien. Can't hurt to try.

Becky, have you tried any options other than medicines? Such as increasing activity and exercises, relaxation techniques like yoga, deep breathing and meditation, massages, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by chick View Post
    Becky, have you tried any options other than medicines? Such as increasing activity and exercises, relaxation techniques like yoga, deep breathing and meditation, massages, etc..

Yes I have!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Quote Originally Posted by skippy13 View Post
    I use seroquel for sleeping. It is the only thing that works. Trouble is, in the morning you can have a terrible "hangover" that lasts for hours. It is an anti-psychotic drug, but the VA uses drugs off label all of the time, and I get all my drugs for free at the VA so I use what they give me.

As you already know, it is not uncommon at all to get a drug that has been developed for one thing and then has as a side effect or something that can be useful to someone else. It won't make you instantly psychotic if you stop the drug. It is not implying that you re psychotic if you use the drug. It just has the most wonderful sleeping benefit. I get 7 hours solid sleep on this stuff.
    That's good that it has not lasting effects on the brain for the sane person. I was raising questions because I was told by a psychiatrist that some drugs permanently alter the brain and I was thinking, WTF? You're not giving me that shit, are you? LMAO!

Rhovane by prescription.

It's been six years and I've started to develop some 'agoraphobic' qualities that in speaking with a friend, I may trace back to this sleep aid.

It used to be 1/2 a pill ... now it's 2 whole ones.
    Roses are red. Tacos are enjoyable. Don't blame immigrants, because you're unemployable.

T-11 Flaccid Paraplegic due to TM July 1985 @ age 12