Thread: Complete Vs. Incomplete

Complete Vs. Incomplete

What is the difference between complete and incomplete? The doctors really haven't told us and since it is a non-traumatic injury, we are trying to figure out which one he is....

My brother is 4 weeks post-injury and almost no sensation below T3. He does have deep pain sometimes in his back and now in his hip as he is getting HO. We are not sure if he is complete or incomplete. We are just trying to figure out what to expect and how to answer when people ask us if he is complet or incomplete. We don't really even know the definitions fully....

Traditionally, "complete" spinal cord injury means having no voluntary motor or conscious sensory function below the injury site. (Source) The site quoted has a very complete definition of the classifications of SCI injuries.

Welcome to CareCure.

I see on another post that your brother's injury is due to decompression sickness from scuba diving. This is essentially a vascular injury. Often there is some return over the first 1-2 years with a vascular injury.

Here is an excellent article by Wise Young MD that I would recommend you print out, read, share with your brother, and use to develop a list of questions for your brother's physician.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

Where is your brother now? Is he in a specialty SCI rehabilitation center? How old is he? Is he by any chance a military veteran?

Please come back often and ask questions. There are many members here who have been down this road, and we will all try to answer your questions.

(KLD)

what is the definition of anal tone and does presence of anal tone affect asia score.

thank you

Anal tone describes the natural muscle tightness of the external anal sphincter. In ABs it is tight all the time unless you are trying to defecate. In those with LMN injuries (or those still in spinal shock) it is usually loose, and those with UMN SCI it is usually tight and cannot be voluntarily relaxed. A BC (bulbocavernosus reflex) test is usually done at the same time that anal tone and voluntary anal contraction is assessed. It is part of the ASIA exam, but is not scored as part of the motor score. It is examined by inserting a gloved finger into the anus and feeling the tightness of the muscle.

(KLD)

Thank you

Thank you for your response! We appreciate any help you can provide! What a wonderful site.

My brother is in Miami at the Jackson Hospitol. He was just diagnosed as a T2 now so he has made some improvement over the past month which we are excited about but anxious to figure out the best treatment options for him. He is 21 and very athletic, played first singles in tennis at his college, but is not a military veteran.

Thanks again and if you think of anything else in regards to his unique type of injury, please let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    Welcome to CareCure.

I see on another post that your brother's injury is due to decompression sickness from scuba diving. This is essentially a vascular injury. Often there is some return over the first 1-2 years with a vascular injury.

Here is an excellent article by Wise Young MD that I would recommend you print out, read, share with your brother, and use to develop a list of questions for your brother's physician.

http://sci.rutgers.edu/index.php?pag...nalLevels.html

Where is your brother now? Is he in a specialty SCI rehabilitation center? How old is he? Is he by any chance a military veteran?

Please come back often and ask questions. There are many members here who have been down this road, and we will all try to answer your questions.

(KLD)

i did my initial inpatient rehab at jackson also.(2months.jan/feb 05)....im surprised they havent told u much....dr barth green who is head is one of the best.......without getting technical......"complete" means a complete sever/tear of the cord, with no function below injury level and no chance for any recovery(but ive meet a guy who is complete/waist down, went to china for stem cells, and can walk with braces and walker)..............."incomplete" means partial sever/injury to the cord where there is function/movement(either normal or slight) below the level and can have improvement.................the drs will say 1 year is bout limit to any recovery,dont buy into that too much,, ive,and others ive meet had recovery way past the 1 yr mark.........if hes only a couple months in, its still real early, dont give up!..........feel free to pm me with any questions, especially bout jackson or south florida rehabs .....
    - Rolling Thru Life -