Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Van or truck conversions

  1. #1

    Van or truck conversions

    I'm looking for a new vehicle and would like to know everyone's thoughts on the best conversions and dealers. I currently own a full sized van from Rollx and have not been happy with their customer service. I'm starting to have a few minor problems and instead of fighting it, I think I'll just upgrade. Mini-vans do not work here so I'm only interested in full sized vans or trucks. Later

  2. #2
    Best conversion on the market. Checkout www.goshichi.com

  3. #3
    There have been several topics about converting trucks on this forum. You can do a search for "truck conversion" and get several threads to read. I have an older setup on a GMC Sierra that works very well.

    Lift in the bed: http://www.bruno.com/pul-1100.html I was strongly advised (and I agree) against getting the topper since I live in the very windy Texas panhandle.

    Glide n' go: http://www.accessunlimited.com/html/trucks.html

    Hopefully someone else that has newer truck equipment will jump in with some advice.

    Good Luck!!

  4. #4
    Here is my honest opinion....I have a 2009 GMC sierra with the topper and the lift and a turney seat, the whole set up....I drive my 2007 chrysler town and country more than I do the truck. FOR ONE REASON.....the truck setup is super SLOW. If it is raining your goona get way wet, if it is snowing your gonna get way wet, if it is cold your gonna get cold....however that all seems to go away when I get in and realize I am driving a TRUCK...not a damn mini van....so I drive my truck when its nice or I can load and unload in a garage and I drive the van when I am in a hurry!!!

    Hope that helps

    hv1987

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Alberta, Canada
    Posts
    231
    Here is my set up and yes it is slow but I love it, I still have the attitude id rather be dead then drive a van. But who knows that might change with time but this is what i use.

    My F150 Adaptation


    Mooner

  6. #6
    I am also wanting to get a full size truck. I have done some reasurch and have found out it will cost you just about the same price as the truck to modify it with any medical lift or wheel chair lift. I had a 2wd 2003 gmc sierra regular cab short box that I yes me and my brother lowered with a bell tech 4/6 drop. I was still a little high so we put some shorter tires on it by this point the frame was 2" off the ground. I was ok to get into but kind of hard to get the chair in and if I ever dropped the chair on the ground I would be screwed. I don't remember what the final seat hight was but it must of been been over 24" because I remember it was a little jump up. Plus way to low to drive in the snow the wife found that out when she crashed it then we sold it. I think the next time I go for a truck I will air bag it to drop the frame on the ground for ease of getting in and then you can raise it back up for driving. But you can only air bag a 2wd no body make a kit for a 4x4 and I would also recommend a extended cab or 4-door so you can keep the chair in the cab and not out in the elements. You can also do a body drop to the truck to get it even lower. Also the only 4x4 lowering kits I have found were 2/4 drop. I guess you could also do a body drop on a 4x4 if it helps but I am guessing it would not be enough if you plan on using it for a daily driver.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by RideRed View Post
    I am also wanting to get a full size truck. I have done some reasurch and have found out it will cost you just about the same price as the truck to modify it with any medical lift or wheel chair lift. I had a 2wd 2003 gmc sierra regular cab short box that I yes me and my brother lowered with a bell tech 4/6 drop. I was still a little high so we put some shorter tires on it by this point the frame was 2" off the ground. I was ok to get into but kind of hard to get the chair in and if I ever dropped the chair on the ground I would be screwed. I don't remember what the final seat hight was but it must of been been over 24" because I remember it was a little jump up. Plus way to low to drive in the snow the wife found that out when she crashed it then we sold it. I think the next time I go for a truck I will air bag it to drop the frame on the ground for ease of getting in and then you can raise it back up for driving. But you can only air bag a 2wd no body make a kit for a 4x4 and I would also recommend a extended cab or 4-door so you can keep the chair in the cab and not out in the elements. You can also do a body drop to the truck to get it even lower. Also the only 4x4 lowering kits I have found were 2/4 drop. I guess you could also do a body drop on a 4x4 if it helps but I am guessing it would not be enough if you plan on using it for a daily driver.
    The challenge with bagging a 4WD is air bag-to-half shaft clearance. No one offers "off the shelf" bag brackets for the front that clear the shafts (lack of demand), but I've seen people fabricate their own. BUT even with this the drop is limited because of shaft binding.

  8. #8
    Senior Member WolfeMan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Bealeton, Virginia
    Posts
    1,398
    Quote Originally Posted by amarillogal View Post
    There have been several topics about converting trucks on this forum. You can do a search for "truck conversion" and get several threads to read. I have an older setup on a GMC Sierra that works very well.

    Lift in the bed: http://www.bruno.com/pul-1100.html I was strongly advised (and I agree) against getting the topper since I live in the very windy Texas panhandle.

    Glide n' go: http://www.accessunlimited.com/html/trucks.html

    Hopefully someone else that has newer truck equipment will jump in with some advice.

    Good Luck!!
    I have the same set up and absolutely love it. Lil' slow, but it works for me!











    Larry
    ------
    Visit - The Wolfe Pit Channel

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by LooseCannon View Post
    The challenge with bagging a 4WD is air bag-to-half shaft clearance. No one offers "off the shelf" bag brackets for the front that clear the shafts (lack of demand), but I've seen people fabricate their own. BUT even with this the drop is limited because of shaft binding.

    I have also seen it done to a 4x4 on the gmfullsize web forum. I hear you about the lack of demand thing but it would be nice if someone would sell a bolt in kit. I know the air bag thing is not for everyone due to the fact that the seat height is higher than a car but I will probably bag a truck someday just for ease of me getting in and out then me and the wife can haul the atv around our selfs with out always having to rely on others. I would really like to do a 68 like your project but I would serously think of extending the frame and make it 4 door.

  10. #10
    Not sure if you'd need or like this, but I am considering this conversion for my Lincoln MarkLT (as I cannot transfer and will drive from my power chair) when they are able to convert Ford, soon)...I have not driven for over a year now:

    http://www.rynomobility.com/
    http://www.rynomobility.com/gallery2.htm
    Beverly


    "A wild patience has taken me this far..."

Similar Threads

  1. House conversions
    By Eric in forum Equipment
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 01-24-2006, 05:00 PM
  2. Freestar or Caravan Conversions?
    By elaurie in forum Equipment
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 09:18 AM
  3. Grand Caravan Conversions
    By Brian S in forum Equipment
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-24-2004, 06:16 PM
  4. Car Conversions?
    By Kapone in forum Life
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-20-2002, 12:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •