Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: Draining sore.... what are you???....

I just got back from the doctor. He drained the sore & said that it looked like i had originally a case of shingles and then the second wound was a secondary bacterial infection. He swabbed the second wound to check for MRSA, etc and gave me more abx.... ( oh yay.... ). I go back for a follow up next friday. It still hurts a massive amount but hopefully it will start to get better.

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Becky, I am so sorry. Gosh, you sure have a lot going on. Are you eating yogurt, taking some type of probiotics to help with your system. The antibiotics kill bad bacteria and good bacteria. Making sure to keep your immune system built up as much as possible is so important.

I was speaking with a elderly friend (paraplegic) who developed c-diff after long bouts of antibiotics while in a nursing facility. She later developed severe complications and still in the ICU.

I am sure you will do what you need to take very good care of yourself. Thinking of you Becky!

thanks med! Yes im eating tons of yogurt & protein. Im ready for no problems for a long while!!!

Becky
    T8-9 according to latest scoring.......
    since 1/3/04

I am the best at being me. No matter how that happens to be!!

Ugh, shingles is really painful. At least that is an explanation for some of your pain though. I hope it starts getting better soon. I'm so sorry Becky.

i've been following your posts, and i had it in the back of my mind, shingles, but i didnt want to post anything. sorry my mom had horrific pain as you were describing. went to family doc, called it shingles, gave her a b 12 shot and that really seemed to help. as we know , as kids, everybody had chicken pox.that virus lays dormat in our bodies forever. some get shingles ,some don't. thankfully our grandchildren now have the vaccine given to them when they are a year old. i hope you get relief.

Becky, I just looked up shingles... It sounds painful but did say it could go away on its own with only treatment for pain and symptoms: "Shingles (herpes zoster) is a painful, blistering skin rash due to the varicella-zoster virus, the virus that causes chickenpox. The first symptom is usually one-sided pain, tingling, or burning. The pain and burning may be severe and is usually present before any rash appears. Red patches on the skin, followed by small blisters, form in most people. The blisters break, forming small ulcers that begin to dry and form crusts. The crusts fall off in 2 to 3 weeks. Scarring is rare. The rash usually involves a narrow area from the spine around to the front of the belly area or chest. The rash may involve face, eyes, mouth, and ears. Additional symptoms may include:Abdominal pain, Chills, Difficulty moving some of the muscles in the face, Drooping eyelid (ptosis), Fever and chills, General ill-feeling, Genital lesions, Headache, Hearing loss, Joint pain, Loss of eye motion, Swollen glands (lymph nodes),Taste problems,Vision problems, You may also have have pain, muscle weakness, and a rash involving different parts of your face if shingles affects a nerve in your face..." https://health.google.com/health/ref/Shingles Gosh Becky, not fun.

Grrr, it seems my very clear instructions to your body to shape up, and fast, has not taken hold yet. Please repeat earlier message at least once a day.

I'm convinced that does work -- I talk out loud to my body all the time trying to get parts that aren't cooperating to start working, demanding pain ease off, and such. Had my first success with it after my second tumor surgery when I was paralyzed from the neck down for about two weeks after the operation. I was very depressed, central pain was out of control in left arm and right leg, had no sensation at all in right arm and left leg. I was ready to give up, and was laying there in the dark in my hospital room, talking to my Mom -- who was sleeping on a cot next to me -- about my desire to die. Toward the end of our conversation, I stopped talking to my Mom and started talking to my unresponsive body. I gave it an ultimatum -- either it shows me a sign that there was hope of recovery sometime before the next night or I was going to give up. The next morning, my first flicker of movement returned -- I was able to raise my middle finger on my right hand. I took great delight in showing off my new movement -- I'm pretty sure I flipped off everybody who passed by my room that day!

Now, about you...

Shingles -- yowza! No wonder you were/are having such serious pain! Nasty, nasty condition that just keeps giving, even after the original infection has passed. My Dad had it on one hand seven years ago, and his fingertips are still affected to this day. You just cannot seem to catch a break, my dear -- and it's time we bring that trend to a crashing halt, now!

It's great that you're eating yogurt with all the ABX you've been forced to take. Make sure the kind you're buying has live/active cultures. If I were you, I'd also start taking an additional probiotic supplement -- something like Align or Phillips Colon Health. You are at serious risk of developing c. diff. which I can tell you from experience is the very last thing you need right now. The probiotics are what saved me. I didn't start taking them until after the c. diff. had taken hold, and it's a mistake I will never make again.

The probiotics should also help you battle the yeast infections -- I shudder to think how bad that problem must be at this point. Have you got a good supply of Diflucan on hand?

It will get better, Becks. You're no doubt sick of waiting for that to happen -- and there isn't a soul out here who wouldn't give a whole lot to make that happen for you right this second.

You're doing great in keeping yourself going despite all of the kicks to the head like has been handing you. I'm incredibly proud of you, and will keep vibing strength, hope, and healing your way.
    It is easier to find men who will volunteer to die, than to find those who are willing to endure pain with patience.

~Julius Caesar

Oh Becky ... you can't catch a break can you. Well, at least shingles is ordinary. Now you know what it is, they can address it.

Quote Originally Posted by thehipcrip View Post
    I'm convinced that does work -- I talk out loud to my body all the time trying to get parts that aren't cooperating to start working, demanding pain ease off, and such. Had my first success with it after my second tumor surgery when I was paralyzed from the neck down for about two weeks after the operation. I was very depressed, central pain was out of control in left arm and right leg, had no sensation at all in right arm and left leg. I was ready to give up, and was laying there in the dark in my hospital room, talking to my Mom -- who was sleeping on a cot next to me -- about my desire to die. Toward the end of our conversation, I stopped talking to my Mom and started talking to my unresponsive body. I gave it an ultimatum -- either it shows me a sign that there was hope of recovery sometime before the next night or I was going to give up. The next morning, my first flicker of movement returned -- I was able to raise my middle finger on my right hand. I took great delight in showing off my new movement -- I'm pretty sure I flipped off everybody who passed by my room that day!
    HC ..... I talk to my legs all the time. They really don;t listen tho ..... maybe I shoud address them a little more politely? And I regularly talk to the elephant that sits on my lap, and his friend the hugging python. Usually telling them to please leave .... altho not in exactly those terms.

Really funny that the first bit of return was your middle finger. Guessing somewhere, there is a sense of humor out there.
    T7-8 since Feb 2005

Sorry you have shingles Becky. They can be very painful.
    Bless your heart. I will pray for healing that you will be well soon.

{hugs} Mona

Hi Becky,
    I'm new here but would like to offer some suggestions based on my experiences and doctor's advice (of course you must follow your own doctors instructions);

1) Please Do Not Squeeze. As tempting and productive as that may seem, it actually can cause the matter to become much worse. Squeezing only expresses a small amount of fluid with much of it being forced into surrounding tissue and glands actually spreading infection. Please rely on your doctor to drain.

2) Gently cleanse area with an antibacterial soap and allow to air dry. Do Not Shave or use Deoderant until area is completely healed. Avoid tight clothing and try to reduce friction in the area (I know that's kind of hard to do in a manual w/c) I was also told to try and avoid things that could cause me to sweat.

3) Google "Hidradenitis Suppurativa" which is a form of chronic infection occuring in the apocrine/sweat glands, sebaceous/oil glands, and/or hair follicles which can range from mild to severe forms. HS is Very Painful and can resemble shingles and/or boils. This is treated with the above measures and many weeks of antibiotics until completely resolved. Erythromycin can be used which is relatively inexpensive. You may want to make a copy of your search results to bring with you to your next doctors appointment. I suspect this is what the nurse who had her armpit glands removed had, which is a treatment of last resort.

4) Consider requesting a referral to a Dermatologist and to be seen asap if not seeing improvement.

I hope you feel better soon. Btw, my second son is a Music Ed Major
    Last edited by Still Learning; 02-06-2010 at 03:27 PM.
    The IceDragon Avatar best represents my constant Freezing yet Burning Pain...not to mention all the other sensations that come with neuro pain