Thread: Baclofen for central nerve pain?

Baclofen for central nerve pain?

I have what was diagnosed and I think actually may be central nerve pain in both feet and sometimes legs. Mostly went away on its own after three or four years but still can flare up.

Anyway, the only thing I found that helps with it without side effects seemed to be Baclofen (other than sleep).

But of course Baclofen isn't supposed to help with nerve pain and the doctors get very skeptical when I say it does. Especially when I say I take it PRN which they think is ridiculous but since it's safe and non-addicting they don't really object but I can tell they are skeptical.

Could all the crazy things in my spinal cord (a bunch of long Latin/Greek words, you name it I have it) somehow make Baclofen work with nerve pain? Like could whatever the Baclofen fixes, could it somehow because of all the rewiring in the cord be wired to the pain receptors so taking Baclofen helps pain? Or could the pain actually be due to spasticity that noone knew? Or maybe it's just psychological. Has anyone heard of this working?
    Last edited by xsfxsf; 01-31-2010 at 05:15 AM.

Yes, I have heard from a few others that their neuropathic pain seems to be better on baclofen, although how that works is unclear. If it is true for you that is great. You just need to find a physician who will listen to you and work with you. Prescribing a medication such as baclofen for an off-label purpose is not uncommon for physicians who are really familiar with SCI.

(KLD)

I, too have heard from a small group of patients that Baclofen helps their pain. Is it the spasticity that is causing pain or something else? We don't know, but the way that I look at it is if it works, who I am to knock it and as KLD said, it is not uncommon to use medications for off-label uses in SCI. It was one of the first things I learned in orientation as a new nurse and it still holds true today.

CKF

Quote Originally Posted by SCI-Nurse View Post
    I, too have heard from a small group of patients that Baclofen helps their pain. Is it the spasticity that is causing pain or something else? We don't know, but the way that I look at it is if it works, who I am to knock it and as KLD said, it is not uncommon to use medications for off-label uses in SCI. It was one of the first things I learned in orientation as a new nurse and it still holds true today.

CKF
    I was just thinking, maybe it works, if it works, for a similar reason that sleeping works. Maybe sleep relaxes something in the spine and so does Baclofen. I have no idea. Actually I find it very peculiar that doctors have all these drugs for pain and other things that none of them work all that well and they all have problems, but something very simple like being asleep, or sleeping for a long time, helps. I mean even at my worst I was always pain free for an hour or so after I woke up from sleep. And symptoms usually got worse if I'd been awake for awhile. I don't see why they can't figure out whatever sleep does to help with pain (not just pain but all other symptoms too - spasticity, swelling) and replicate that.

I would agree with the Sleep as I feel great when I wake up but during the day my spasticity does flare up in certain conditions. It is only when I am resting at night does it wane and I feel good.